No announcement yet.

RAF Celebrate The Anniversary Of Pacman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I was at the excellent Battle of Britain Memorial in Kent. My wife saw some items (a die-cast key ring and patch) in the gift Shoppe with that logo and asked what it was.

I had to admit I didn't know, but after looking at several items offered, I figured out it had something to do with the centennial.

I'm no graphic design expert, but isn't the idea of having a logo instant recognition?

I enjoyed the memorial. Excellent design (by that you could understand the meaning of the prop design with pilot overlooking the channel...perhaps that's not obscure enough for millennials ). Very friendly staff.

The Jackdaw was open and happily, they have a few photos from the Battle of Britain film so you can compare the pub as it was.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 11th April 2018, 18:50.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

In the first image, the red rectangle with the segment of the RAF roundel is the logo for RAF 100. The image you are complaining about is the window design.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gala-centenuary-dimensions-780x340.png
Views:	1
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	3679691.....like here.

Comment

Mate of mine, who's a serving RAF WO said "A rule of thumb I have always thought to be true, if a design leaves you wondering what the hell it represents, it isn't doing the job!"

Meanwhile.........Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	3679697
          Last edited by Maple 01; 11th April 2018, 17:58.
          Krlewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Comment

A freind has suggested it is the Cornish Air Force roundel - English China Clay mountains and the turquoise water around the yellow beaches...
            Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

It's a lasting memorial to 21st Century BS along with such similarly meaningless words and phrases as "price point" (price) and "upskilling" (training).

Comment

Maybe it's Google getting it's own air force...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

Well I asked Hendon for more information and did the same on the RAF100 website - so far, nothing

Comment

Oh I can't help myself...Spectrum is Green!

Name:	Spectrum_logo.gif
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	3679708
                    pb::

Comment

I would imagine there are many who visit here and are also graphic designers, are they also tearing their hair out in frustration?

Comment

@anneorac,

The Spectrum badge did cross my mind too.

@scotavia,
                        I think these PR "gurus" try to be as esoteric as possible with their output, then wrap it is some trendy hipster buzzwords to sell it. I have to wonder how much taxpayers money was spent on this...
                        Last edited by Bob; 12th April 2018, 10:48.

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

Heres the link to the designers and comment by a senior RAF bod who in my mind was aware how much had been spent and sought to justify the result with effusive praise...
                          http://www.transformmagazine.net/art...rand-campaign/

Comment

It is a good plan never to criticise a designer without full insight. Forty-odd years in marketing communications have taught me that there are two things invariably responsible for weird and unfathomable logos and other design items

1) Client brief
                            2) Client approval process

Moggy
                            "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

" The obscurity of its design,
                              Has proved to be rather malign,
                              The goal was centennial.
                              The targets millennials,
                              All consumed by stupidty condign!"

Comment

As a practicing Graphic Designer and occasional Design Lecturer my initial reaction is what the utter *******...? However closer examination reveals a deeper meaning...

The colours are the key... the sand and blue represent the founding constituents of the RAF, the RFC and the RNAS... which blend together into the green of the RAF as we know it... symbolised by the stylised aircraft in the form of triangle...

Simples...!

Although as Maple 01s friend suggests earlier in the thread, any design that requires forensic examination to decipher the meaning is quite frankly bad design...

Zeb
                                Last edited by Zebedee; 12th April 2018, 13:04.
                                "I wish Bernard was here"
                                "British Rocket Group has its own problems..."

Comment

I followed Scotavia's link (Post 32). Quote: In its unique approach to branding, Coley Porter Bell also successfully merges science and design. Combining findings taken from neuroscience-oriented research with a heritage-led creative approach, the RAF spirit of persistence and triumph in the face of adversity remains front and centre of the brand campaign.
                                  Ignoring "unique approach", "front and centre" and the general word-jungle, I was struck to learn that this design has something to do with "neuroscience". Having been a neuroscientist all my career, I wonder where the link is? Maybe my brain is too out of touch with the modern approach, but I don't see it.

Also, doesn't "air commodore Nigel Bradshaw" deserve some capitals for his rank? This in a piece claiming to honour the RAF.
                                  Laurence

Comment

I had assumed the colours were taken from this, but as yet can not fathom an RAF connection! ......

Name:	175px-Royal_Airforce_Badge.png
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	3679709

Comment

In trying to find an email to ask Media Ops WTH this is all about I was shocked to see what looks like an updated Propagandakompanie style operation being run to 'get the message out' - ah well..... got to move with the times I suppose

No doubt we 'service end-user's requirements with definite targeting operations solutions' now

I'm off to leaver some synergies

Though in my day 'running it up the flag pole and seeing who salutes it' was a job for the Orderly Officer and Cpl
                                      Last edited by Maple 01; 12th April 2018, 17:20.

Comment

"Is it something to do with camping?" was the reply of one person shown this mess....

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

The story of the Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind.

Comment

Working...
                                          X