Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newark Spring 2018 Aeroboot Options

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Newark Spring 2018 Aeroboot Options

    Morning folks sorry for starting another thread about Aeroboots, but I felt that it deserved some added prominence; based on weather forecast and some questions already being asked NAM is considering cancelling the Indoor Aeroboot that is scheduled for 3rd March.

    The reasoning is set out in the text below that is now on the NAM website; I will also endeavour to answer questions & provide feedback via this thread.

    While far from ideal, by addressing the issue early NAM hopes to avoid too many issues on the day itself. Based on NAMs current event schedule & other Aerojumble dates two alternative dates have been proposed for a rearranged event at Newark.

    Overnight we have received some questions about the viability of the Indoor Aeroboot that is currently scheduled for Saturday 3rd March 2018; here is an extract of the key points from one of the emails:

    With regard to the unfortunately timed impending snow and blizzard conditions set for the whole of next week coupled with freezing cold temperatures, does the Museum think that it may be a good idea to postpone the event (possibly to a later date?) According to the forecast even if we don't get much snow the freezing temperatures may put both stallholders and customers off attending?

    We ourselves are somewhat concerned about the possible travel conditions and looks like we may have to give it a miss. I'm sure a lot of other stallholders will possibly agree? Visitor numbers will certainly be down, lots of older people especially. I don't think you would be disappointing people as I'm sure most would understand.

    The museum staff and trustees feel that this does raise some valid points so we have decided to try and gather opinions today, with a view to making a decision on whether or not to cancel the sale.

    At the moment (10.40am; 26.02.18) the museum site is open, but we are experiencing frequent snow showers and this may in itself make the museum site difficult to negotiate the long-term outlook for the rest of this week is more snow and cold temperatures that could make the event on Saturday 3rd March a huge challenge. Not least because of the large distances that many sellers and buyers often travel to support the event by taking a decision early (we aim to decide by 8pm tonight) we hope to have the maximum time available to let people know.

    If we decide to cancel we propose to offer two alternative dates to rearrange the event for; these are Saturday 24 March, or Saturday 14 April and the choice would be based on feedback from stallholders booked in for this Saturday.

    You can register your preferred choice by sending an email via this EMAIL LINK

    We recognise that this is not an ideal situation to find ourselves in, but we want to make the best decision for everyone involved.

    More details will be released as and when they are confirmed.
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

    #2
    Good call Howard,

    Whilst not a stallholder myself, I would happily turn up on either date. I don't know what the long range forecast is, but it might be better to wait until April!



    Bruce

    Comment


      #3
      Howard
      I am a stall holder and although I only live and hour or so away, I fear the weather will put off not only stall holders, who have to travel further, but also members of the public who help make the aero jumbles the successful events that they are. I would prefer the April date but would go with the majority and would agree with a decision to cancel the 3rd.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Bruce - I would personally favour the later date as it would give NAM the chance to also get the new caf & toilets open: 24 March might be in the middle of the installation & commissioning work (extra site safety issues to manage etc.)

        Thanks flyingblind.
        Last edited by TwinOtter23; 26th February 2018, 12:29. Reason: Addendum
        Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
        Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

        Comment


          #5
          No complaints from me if you decide to postpone the event Howard.

          Woodhead and/or the Snake Pass aren't pleasant places to drive over in icy weather.

          Besides, I need just a few extra days to put my latest "Illustrated" tome together and a brief postponement would allow me to finish at a relaxed pace rather than rushing it.
          The garage that keeps on giving.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks Howard, I was getting worried about a trip up from South Wales. Either date good for me so far.

            Comment


              #7
              Thank you for your feedback Air Ministry & ian_ - points noted & fed into the discussion here in an increasingly snowy Nottinghamshire!
              Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
              Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

              Comment


                #8
                I must admit I've been watching the weather forecasts for the next week or so with growing unease. It's unlikely that, even if a thaw occurrs on Saturday, that the roads will be passable and clear - certainly in the more easterly counties of the UK. Put it this way; the chances of it being clear by Saturday don't look likely.

                The 24 March is OK with me, as is the 14 April as proposed new dates for the jumble. Credit to NAM for taking this on board and not just leaving it in the lap of the Gods.

                Anon.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Not a bad call if the weather stacks up to the hype. 24th is ok, 14th even better, just means my twice yearly panini fix will go on hold!
                  Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The difficult decision has now been taken to cancel this Saturdays (03.03.18) Indoor Aeroboot/Aerojumble sale at Newark.

                    A re-arranged event will now be held on Saturday 14th April 2018; further details can be found in here!

                    Sorry for any inconvenience and please let as many people know as possible. I'm now going to update the Aeroboot contacts.
                    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm late into this one Howard but I thought we had a number of thoughts to move this 4-5 years ago when some sellers said it was too cold in the hangar for a number of sellers while there were concerns about visitors also.

                      It might have been that other events were planned back then or there were clashes but when we used to start a season in the 90's the first event was Shoreham which was always at the end of March, and to move into April gives us a better chance of having warmer and brighter weather, so if we can keep to this kind of date it will definitely help the event.

                      Its a shame we can't meet sooner to kick off the new season but that's the UK weather for you. Good to hear that the Holland seller is aware of the change too.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        This wider topic of a possible change of date is being mooted again at NAM and if the issue of the ever moving holiday that is Easter can be resolved, then a slightly later date may be contemplated for 2019 - it may even give the option of a slight expansion if any brave soles wish to venture outside!

                        Thoughts please on that one!!

                        As another aside for this year, if everything works out NAM should have the new caf & toilet facility operational, and much closer to Hangar 2!!
                        Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                        Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Just a quick bump of this thread to remind everyone that....

                          "The difficult decision has now been taken to cancel this Saturdays (03.03.18) Indoor Aeroboot/Aerojumble sale at Newark.

                          A re-arranged event will now be held on Saturday 14th April 2018; further details can be found in here!

                          Sorry for any inconvenience and please let as many people know as possible. Were now going to update all of our contacts."
                          Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                          Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It's a cold night here in Notts., so at the risk of opening a huge can of worms and creating a potential logistical puzzle I would like to do a bit of ‘market research’ via this thread.

                            Would there be any interest amongst the Aeroboot/Aerojumble sellers for me trying to get NAM to agree to add some outdoor pitches for the rescheduled sale on Saturday 14th April 2018?

                            Also, if there was any interest, would any existing sellers prefer to move outside?

                            I cannot make any promises, but your thoughts would be appreciated.
                            Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                            Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I missed a space for March but would be willing to attend and go outside subject to the weather nearer the time.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Thank you for the feedback VARSITY - I'll make a note in my Aeroboot file!
                                Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Would there be any interest...sellers...outdoor pitches...Saturday 14th April 2018?
                                  Hi Howard,

                                  I've actually been meaning to raise this with you for some time now, not so much with the March event in mind, but for the October event when the weather is often still pleasantly warm.

                                  The problems I foresee are:-

                                  Where would the outside pitches be sited? My worry is that if too far removed from the hangar, visitors might not make the effort to walk over, especially if there is only one or two stalls (and/or the weather is bad).

                                  If the weather should prove to be poor on the day, I would want to erect a shelter of some kind. This prolongs the set up period considerably and adds to the physical effort required for what is, after all, quite a short selling day. My little awning takes about 30 minutes to put up (and another 30 to take down), and my marquee takes well over an hour. In either case I doubt I could be set up in time to have my own wander around the hangar before the event opens to the public. (This isn't a problem at C/Fest because sellers can arrive during Friday to set their stall up and we than have two days to relax and enjoy the event before pulling everything down again).

                                  Being outside effectively cuts you off from "the main event", especially if you are alone on your stall. In the hangar, we all "risk a few minutes" of an unattended stall to have a wander around and a quick chat with the other stall holders, but I wouldn't leave an outside stall like that. In the hangar, your neighbouring stall holders will keep an eye out for you but it's not so straightforward if you're outside, in individual shelters. In other words, I think you'd lose some of the social side of the event if you choose to be outside.

                                  However, if these issues could be addressed in some way, I'd consider giving it a try?
                                  The garage that keeps on giving.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Thank you for sharing your thoughts Air Ministry and as ever you raise some valid points, which I will take on board and share with the museum trustees if I decide to try and progress the idea further.

                                    To be honest the whole ‘dynamic’ of the Southfield Site and Hangar 2 is set to change with the opening of the news caf & toilet facility. This should become more apparent to everyone at the rearranged sale on 14th April.

                                    Areas of grass that may have appeared ‘remote’ will be more central to the revised activities on site, with new paths and routes over to Hangar 2 coming into play. The accompanying photo partially shows one of the new routes that will be available to all visitors. Likewise if the cash only entry option continues from the Southfield Site gateway people might even come to outdoor pitches (if they happen) first.

                                    Lots to ponder and take in if we get to trial anything on April 14th.

                                    Also while I'm posting NAM will be closed again on Friday 2nd & Saturday 3rd March! http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/latest-news
                                    Last edited by TwinOtter23; 1st March 2018, 20:53. Reason: typo
                                    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Final bump on this one, just in case anyone has missed the news that the Indoor Aeroboot that was planned for NAM has been cancelled & re-arranged for Saturday 14th April!

                                      http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Aeroboot_Cancelled
                                      Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                      Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Later this week NAM will be reviewing the plans for the rearranged Indoor Aeroboot/Aerojumble on Saturday 14th April - this will include the possibility of adding some outdoor spaces to this event, in the hope of meeting the high demand for spaces that was associated with the 3rd March event.

                                        If anyone has any additional feedback or comment then now would be a good time to make it, so that it can be added to the debate at Newark.
                                        Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                        Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

                                        Comment

                                        Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

                                         

                                        Working...
                                        X