2018 Aerojumbles & Aeroboots

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

No-one else want to offer a review of Old Sarum's Aerobilia, there was a few of "us" there?

First off, many thanks to Hugh and the other volunteer staff, all of whom made me feel welcome, and for going the extra distance to make those of us who stayed over on Friday evening that little bit more comfortable.

The event itself felt very reminiscent of the first one I attended (the second Aerobilia) in that it never really took off. Few, if any, early birds and a trickle of visitors with a definite "it's all over" feeling by twelve o'clock. Whether the two big events on Saturday made a difference to the attendance levels I can't say but my gut feeling is probably not.

In terms of stalls, I'd estimate about 20, offering a mix of parts, books, ephemera and models, etc.

There was one stall with an outstanding selection of rare pieces, but due to the poor attendance I had to take most of it back with me! The bits I did sell, however, made a bit of room in the back of the van for the delicious farmhouse cider I picked up in the next county over before finally pointing the van northwards (at about £1 per pint, btw).

Poor old Aerobilia, despite running for six years, it seems to have failed in becoming a "must do" event. I cannot fault the organisation and I think it was an ad in one of the monthly mags that pursuaded me to give it another go. Perhaps the location is just too remote for most 'jumblers, but in suggesting that I realise that Popham isn't too far away and with the obvious decline in that event perhaps BDAC have an opportunity to capture the market in that part of the world? I guess it will all be down to the mantra "promotion, promotion, promotion".

I had to chuckle at the comment from another veteran 'jumbler,

"first do where the yellow vests outnumber the punters!"

Member for

16 years 3 months

Time to start thinking about the next few events?

The CockpitFest Aeroboot will probably be the best of this year's events, especially if we get good weather for the weekend, but what about Kenley and Crowland?

Kenley is only two weeks away and I'm not picking up anything about it anywhere? I have an invite to attend the autojumble which is being held in the same field on the same day (and tbh at half the cost of the aerojumble).

Crowland has a few weeks to "wake up" and I'd like to give it a go. I'm in touch but have a few questions to ask before making my mind up.

Anyone else thinking about these latter two events?

Oh, and by the way Howard, I sent my cheque for the Aeroboot nearly two weeks ago but haven't had the email acknowledgement yet. Should I be worried?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Air Ministry, apologies for lack of feedback re the Cockpit-Fest Aeroboot, event overload here in Nottinghamshire and a few staff illness issues have delayed responses - sorry!

I've just checked with the museum and everything has been received; now that the V-Force event has been concluded the passes etc. should be despatched later this week. Thanks also for your GDPR reply, you're definitely now on the list; but it looks like one or two regulars won't be!!

As a footnote the spaces are going quite quickly.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I enjoyed my visit to the Old Sarum aerojumble, it must be one of the friendliest museums about, the staff always making a concerted effort to greet and welcome you. It’s an ideal setting, located within a museum on an active airfield, most of the cockpits being open for inspection. I’ve noticed particularly on this occasion and on other visits it’s very much a buyers market at this event, As previously pointed out not many attendees apparent this year although there was a fair number of sellers. Two national events happening on the same day (wedding and football) may have scoured the number of people attending. Some good stalls were present and I came home with a boot load of bargains. Good to see that the museum were issuing early bird tickets as this seems to have gone out of the window in other events. Well worth the 160mile round trip for me, this is a great event and really doesn’t seem to get the support it deserves. Next one I think is Kenley aerodrome on the 3rd June.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Have to agree with FLY.Buys summing up of the Old Sarum event, i also enjoyed the day i say day as there is so much to see in and around the aerojumble itself,met some interesting people and sellers along the way and have to agree that the event is well organised and people friendly, i personally came away with a very nice used Luftwaffe flying helmet at what i would say was a bargain price, along with some other gems at very affordable prices, roll on the next Sarum event.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Ultimately though, events which can be described as "buyer's markets" are the ones which will fold. Of three sellers I chatted to at OS, none are considering a return visit.

I sometimes wonder what happens to the fee I hand over for the privilege of setting up at these events. For example, how much goes on advertising and other forms of promotion - 1%, 10%, 99.9%? In other words, and in strictly business terms, do I get my money's worth? For many events I've attended over the last few years, the answer is an emphatic "no". The only events where I can honestly say I feel satisfied at the level of promotion are the three at Newark and I think we all know why that is - tireless effort by TO23!

But his effort has been rewarded in my opinion. Newark is at the centre of the aerojumble psyche, the events are usually well attended (at least as far as we can expect these days), the stalls are usually a sell out and the same sellers return time after time. He must be doing something right!

I really wish other organisers would study his methods rather than trotting out the lazy old excuse "but its on our website!".

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thank you Air Ministry, it is nice to be appreciated!

Approximately half of the pitches for the sale that runs alongside Cockpit-Fest on 23 & 24 June 2018 have now been allocated and it’s worth noting that these will be limited to 46 pitches!

As ever booking details in here! I can also report an improved level of feedback regarding NAM’s need to comply with the new GDPR regs.

On a slightly longer term outlook, yesterday the NAM trustees agreed re-arrange the timing for the spring 2019 Indoor event into April; based around the late Easter etc. the date selected is Saturday 13th April, 2019.

Member for

13 years 1 month

I'll be going to Kenley, I did well in buying and selling last time.

Wasn't aware of the disparity in stall prices but I'm not surprised

Member for

19 years 10 months

Just bumping this thread up to remind people of the Kenley aerojumble this Sunday 3rd June 2018.

Member for

14 years 3 months

#Me too, I’ll be there

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thumbs up for Kenley aerojumble, certainly progressing well for a fledgling aerojumble. Probably double the stalls of last year and well attended with punters, albeit a fair few would have been autojumblers as well. Great day out, weather perfect, another aerojumble event at Kenley will be held on 7th October 2018.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Any nice pieces on offer - FB?

Rob

Member for

10 years 6 months

I was only really looking for books, and was delighted with the range available and my several purchases. I wasn't up to staying long, as I'm recovering from major surgery, but I shall certainly be looking forward to the next one. We'll done organisers and sellers alike.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Wyvernfan - Well the usual mixture of stalls selling aviation books, aircraft models, airline paraphernalia, aircraft parts and wreckology (incl German wrecks). Instruments both WWII and mainly post war, a few metal and wooden propellers, grips, military clothing and deactivated weapons, aircraft wheels, one stall had a few large EE Lightning fuselage panels including a couple of Lightning fuselage spines, also a large section of Vickers Viscount panel bearing the registration number and other bits and pieces including a large chunk of Shorts Stirling from a wreck (don’t ask me what part of the aircraft it was from!). Counting from memory maybe 15-16 aviation related stalls were present and about the same again if not a little more of automobila stalls.

Member for

13 years 4 months

first timer to Kenley have to say great surroundings for an aerojumble certainly felt the atmosphere of the airfields former self, surprised to see so much of the airfield still in place buildings blast pens etc.
The jumble itself was well worth the journey up from Kent some nice pieces to be had, come away well happy.

Roll on October for this up coming event, thanks to everyone involved.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thank you FB, sounds like something was on offer there for most - I’m only sorry I couldn’t make it there myself.

Rob

Member for

13 years 1 month

I picked up an eight squadron A Type Flying helmet, very happy with that. A few of the auto jumble stall had aviation items, including the aforementioned large lumps of Lightning. One stall had a lot of wiring and plugs and sockets, amongst other stuff.

The stall price had been wrongly stated in the adverts, anyone who turned up having pre paid was given a £10 refund.

Member for

18 years 2 months

Space enquiries are still being actioned by NAM, and bookings being taken for the Aeroboot/Aerojumble that runs alongside Cockpit-Fest on 23 & 24 June - best move quickly I you want to secure a space. Please remember that there are no pitches available on the day, you have to pre-book!

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Summer_18_Aeroboot

Member for

18 years 2 months

I've managed to snaffle a copy of NAM's Cockpit-Fest & Aeroboot/Aerojumble layout for 23 & 24 June, 2018 - copy attached. Once again there's a cash only entry point directly into the event from the Southfield Site car parking area!

The Aeroboot/Aerojumble pitches are the red blocks on the southern side (top) of the plan.

Attachments

Member for

18 years 2 months

I was over at Newark today & it was pleasing to note that a couple more telephone bookings were received while I was there - filling up nicely & seems to be a reasonable forecast!

It's also worth noting that some cockpit displays also have mini-sales stalls alongside their displays; both those outside on the Southfield Site & some in Hangar 2.

Please remember that you have to pre-book spaces!

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Summer_18_Aeroboot