Auster 1 OY-DSZ arrives at Doncaster

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

There is a series of photographs on Facebook South Yorkshire Air Museum showing the recovery of this aircraft to the UK

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

That one's been a long time gone from the UK - more than 61 years, to be precise!

Member for

24 years 2 months

When I had my Tiger Moth flight there was an Auster/Autocrat free to a good home clocking up parking fees. I wonder if it found a home? It was a small airfield on the Derbyshire Yorkshire border not far from the Derwent Dam about 5 years ago.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It was Autocrat G-AJIU at Netherthorpe . It moved on probably two years ago.

Member for

16 years 3 months

It looks as though OY-DSZ has made it across the North Sea.
Feel fairly sure it was at Stauning when I was there last August.

Member for

24 years 2 months

re;

Thanks for clearing that up... the crew said it wold never fly again but would make a good static.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It arrived at Doncaster Monday after a slight detour to its first delivery base RAF Firbeck

Member for

24 years 2 months

It looks as though OY-DSZ has made it across the North Sea.
Feel fairly sure it was at Stauning when I was there last August.

Could have been OY-DSH, same type in the same scheme, although with the serial LB381 as opposed to LB314 for OY-DSZ. OY-DSH belongs to the Danish Vintage Aircraft Museum (although the entry on their website confusingly shows a picture of OY-DSZ) and is still airworthy, I think.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Both Taylorcraft OY-DSH & OY-DSZ were present at the time of my visit to Stauning in August.
-DSH was in the Museum. -DSZ was in one of the "lock-ups" on the airfield.
I cannot recall if it was in a dismantled state.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The aircraft was taken apart for the road move

Member for

20 years 3 months

Why a non - flyer? No prospect of a return to airworthiness?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The aircraft was purchased because of its condition and being one of four surviving Mk.1's with an RAF Firbeck history. When purchased it had not been flown for a number of years.
It was advertised last year at a very competitive price but despite that found no British buyer prepared to stump up the money.
It was purchased from its last Danish owner who had no plans for it.

In terms of flying - realistically you would
want to recover it and do an engine overhaul.That would give you no change out of 30K at commercial rates - an Auster Mk.1 in good order usually sells for 10-14K.