Gloster Gladiator fuel gauge 6A section ref wanted

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

Hi
Please can one of good knowledgable people advise the 6A section ref for a Gloster Gladiator fuel gauge, if indeed it had one (the AP advises it's not an RAF stores item but does this mean it has no 6A? Other similar fuel gauges certainly have one).

I understand it's a early pattern Smiths type desynn gauge with a capacity of 60 gallons (or maybe around 60 gallons)

Many thanks

Original post

Member for

16 years

Don't have a ref. but is it the same 69 Gal gauge as was fitted to the Westland Whirlwind?

Member for

18 years 5 months

Thanks for the reply.

The max capacity of the Gladiator tank is about 61-62 gallons so I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the Whirlwind.

I've got photo's of the two flyer fuel gauges but neither completely match a poor quality b/w period photo of an original. As best I can make out neither is stamped with a 6A either so guess they're possibly new gauge faces. The period photo is just about readable for the tail down scale at a max capacity of 59 gallons but the lower wings level numbers are unreadable. Both the flyers are marked as a max capacity of 60 gallons wings level.

Member for

24 years 3 months

According to AP1612, War Equipment Schedule for Gladiator Squadron
6A/639: Gauge, Fuel Contents, Electrical, Type 19

Anne

Member for

18 years 5 months

Anne
Prefect many thanks for the information.