Source of self sealing aviation rivets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 3 months

I am trying to source some period aviation rivets for use in a monocoque restoration - aviation methods used in an old race car - hoping someone could point me to a source of these self-sealing solid rivets. They are a 5/32 self sealing rivet and are required for doubler and triple plate fixing totalling a maximum 4mm thickness. Quantity required is significant (~1000).

Please see attached photos - but someone working on a 1940-1960's period aircraft will probably recognise what they are. Also, if there is a known source for the rivet trimming tool to match as per photo that would be really helpful!

With thanks,
Geoff

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Not sure why you would use Avdel rivets when you could use solid riverts if you can get to both sides. As to the tool - it looks like a microstop with a rivet miller bit in it. You would get better results with a dedicated rivet Miller which are often for sale on eBay

Member for

17 years 5 months

Looking at a military riveting manual from the 1960's it tells me, that there are a number of possibilities.

To make it simple from what the manual contains:

2 manufacturers of blind rivets, Cherry and Huck.

MS20600 - Self plugging
MS20601 - Self plugging
MS20602 - Explosive
MS20603 - Explosive

2 head types, universal to MS20470 and 100° flush to MS20426.

Mechanical lock stem to NAS1398 and 1399.

The MBC referred to the in the images relate to NAS1719, 1720 and 1721

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks David, the photo is an example only, both sides can't be accessed in all areas of the repair. I will check eBay for the rivet miller, regards Geoff

Member for

17 years 5 months

I think it may be NAS1398.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thank you Richard, I will follow this up on the Hanson rivet web site and check out the Dessouter rivet shivers also, regards Geoff

Member for

15 years 3 months

aircraftclocks - thank you for your guidance, regards Geoff

Member for

24 years 2 months

Huck rivets will require an expensive gun and whilst a nice strong rivet probably a little overkill for what you doing. For ease Cherry rivets would probably fit the bil best for ease of fitment. Cherry Max has best sealing properties but cannot remember if available with aluminium mandrel