June 2019 Duxford

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 6 months

I'm not sure if this event has already appeared on the Forum. Gathering of C-47s, DC-3s and Li-2s to commemorate 75 years since D-Day by flying over Normandy from Duxford. 29 aircraft from around the world confirmed to date...

http://www.daksovernormandy.com/home/

should be a staggering sight / sound and pretty emotional I'd imagine.

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

Wow should be good and I will get to see them head south hopefully, cracking idea

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sounds great - I hope it comes off.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Wow, what a flypast that will make, I hope I'll get to see it.

Member for

20 years 1 month

That is going to be an amazing commemoration.
Gutted that I won’t be able to get there due to other commitments. Hopefully it will be well covered by the media and our forumites.

Member for

15 years 4 months

hi,
Up to 31 a/c confirmed now...it's going to be a grand sight, and a fitting memorial for what is expected to be the last official commemoration.

regards,
jack...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Shame there isnt a former Dakota base they could take off from !

Member for

21 years 1 month

Will 31+ squeeze into Duxford? I mean and taxy out in an orderly fashion?:rolleyes:
Perhaps like the original they should depart from several airfields and assemble in the overhead....
mmitch.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Fuel truck is gonna be busy.....

Member for

6 years 7 months

that fuel truck will need a fuel truck of its own!

Member for

16 years 3 months

Will 31+ squeeze into Duxford? I mean and taxy out in an orderly fashion?

Why taxi? Just line them up on the threshold like they did for D-day and do a stream take-off

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm at work so I'm not going to look up the distances, but I suspect if a Dakota could tow a Horsa off from RAF Great Sampford (built for Spitfires) then there'll be plenty of runway at DX to stack them on and still leave enough for take-off.

Adrian

Member for

16 years 3 months

I haven't got the Dak / Horsa combo distances to hand but a Dak only needed 970 yards to unstick and 1920 yards to get to 50ft when towing a fully loaded Hadrian (as reported in AFEE T17 part 2).