June 2019 Duxford

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 2019 Duxford

I'm not sure if this event has already appeared on the Forum. Gathering of C-47s, DC-3s and Li-2s to commemorate 75 years since D-Day by flying over Normandy from Duxford. 29 aircraft from around the world confirmed to date...

http://www.daksovernormandy.com/home/

should be a staggering sight / sound and pretty emotional I'd imagine.
    Last edited by Mayhem Marshy; 11th January 2018, 17:39. Reason: can't count!

Wow should be good and I will get to see them head south hopefully, cracking idea
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Comment

Sounds great - I hope it comes off.

Comment

Wow, what a flypast that will make, I hope I'll get to see it.
        Wide open & turning left

Comment

That is going to be an amazing commemoration.
          Gutted that I wont be able to get there due to other commitments. Hopefully it will be well covered by the media and our forumites.
          Watching the planes fly by...

Comment

hi,
            Up to 31 a/c confirmed now...it's going to be a grand sight, and a fitting memorial for what is expected to be the last official commemoration.

regards,
            jack...

Comment

Shame there isnt a former Dakota base they could take off from !

Comment

Will 31+ squeeze into Duxford? I mean and taxy out in an orderly fashion?
                Perhaps like the original they should depart from several airfields and assemble in the overhead....
                mmitch.

Comment

Fuel truck is gonna be busy.....
                  If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

that fuel truck will need a fuel truck of its own!

Comment

Will 31+ squeeze into Duxford? I mean and taxy out in an orderly fashion?
                      Why taxi? Just line them up on the threshold like they did for D-day and do a stream take-off

Comment

I'm at work so I'm not going to look up the distances, but I suspect if a Dakota could tow a Horsa off from RAF Great Sampford (built for Spitfires) then there'll be plenty of runway at DX to stack them on and still leave enough for take-off.

Adrian
                        "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

I haven't got the Dak / Horsa combo distances to hand but a Dak only needed 970 yards to unstick and 1920 yards to get to 50ft when towing a fully loaded Hadrian (as reported in AFEE T17 part 2).

Comment

Working...
                          X