Just imagine with today's income...

and the prices of yesteryear...

Click image for larger version

Name:	a9102bb6b75bb6dbf7843bda886cd352.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	3733225

T J
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

Yes, to have a time machine and a modern credit card...
    To keep things in perspective, a new E-type then was 2100-2200 (in 1961) and that was far beyond the budget of most families.

Also, I recall reading that George Martin, producer of the Beatles records, received 75 a week.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

I presume that was MK297/G-ASSD?

I see it was destroyed in the CWH hangar fire at Hamilton - I take it nothing significant survived for a potential restoration?

Comment

Yes , putting the price into context you could get a useful country cottage for less than that, but still cheap. Would it have been MK297?, how can you tell?

Comment

That some would be about 65,000 today, so certainly cheap.

Compared to other assets like property, your 4000 1964 house could well be in excess of 700,000 now, so the Spit still looks like a sound investment, though in 53 years ( if it has been a flyer ) it will have eaten a HUGE amount of money, and you cannot live in it !

Not many private individuals have stashed away a Spitfire for 45 years, infact apart from Connie Edwards I can think of no other.

Comment

Would it have been MK297?, how can you tell?
            It's just a guess, Film Aviation Services (John Crewdson) had the aircraft for sale around then. I was wondering if it could have been MH434, seems unlikely.

Comment

I was thinking that it was probably the one that Cliff Roberson ended up with, or MH415?

Steve
              75-Stay alive, 76-Radio tricks, 77-Going to Heaven.

Comment

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...t-for-sale-ads

Mk 12 wrote..

''It is MK297/G-ASSD.

Both 'SSD and 'VDJ were painted in the 2nd TAF Invasion Livery for the film 'The Longest Day'.

'SSD had a distinctive vertical light bar on the engine cowling camouflage and that can just about be seen in the newsprint image.

Mark ''

Comment

From 'Flight International', the 26 March 1965 edition. I also posted this image, if only we could go back and do some shopping...

A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Comment

I was wondering if it could have been MH434, seems unlikely.
                    I dug out my copy of the "AIRSHOW 86 - FlyPast SPECIAL" which had an article "Year of the SPITFIRE 1936-86". It states that MH434 was bought in 1983 by Ray Hanna in auction for 260,000. I think it was at Christie's and MH434 was in flyable condition. If the ad was published in 1965 (25 years after the BoB), the appreciation over 18 years from 4,000 to 260,000 was impressive.

EDITED: The article also states that MH434, acquired by Tim Davies, was flown to England in June 1963, becoming G-ASJV.
                    Last edited by Christer; 11th January 2018, 15:22.

Comment

the appreciation over 18 years from 4.000 to 260.000 was impressive.
                      Wonder what it would be valued at 35 years after the Christies Auction? 1.5m? 2m? More?

Comment

Wonder what it would be valued at 35 years after the Christies Auction?
                        As they say, "nothing is worth more than someone is willing to pay"!
                        Last edited by Christer; 11th January 2018, 15:02.

Comment

At about the same time, there were two flyable Irish Spitfires advertised for sale in Flight. I forget the exact price, but it was something like 1,500 each.

Comment

That's right, but nobody really wants a two-seat Spit anyway. Quite the ugly duckling..................

Fast forward 50 years, and they can't make them quick enough!

Comment

Before the BoB film the going rate for an airworthy Spitfire was 6k. In July 1970 after the film I purchased TE308 /G-AWGB on behalf of Don Plumb in Canada...12.5k.

Mark
                              "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Working...
                              X