Register Free

Announcement

Collapse

Search index currently being rebuilt

The search index is currently being rebuilt, search results may be incomplete until this process has completed. Estimated time until completion 18:00 GMT 16/10/2018. This may impact the speed of the forum. Email notifcations for subscribed topics / threads will be re-enabled once the search index is rebuilt.
See more
See less

Duxford Diary 2018

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 15 (1 members and 14 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisD
    The Buchon you mentioned was actually owned by Richard Lake and was sold to the Hanger 10 collection in Germany (Last year if remember correctly)
    And, if the rumours are true, converted into the '109G-14 that flew recently.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

The P-51D "The Hun Hunter~Texas" is owned by Dan Friedkin ("Comanche Fighters"/"Comanche Warbirds"). You can tell by his reflective blue visor when he's the one at the controls. I don't know myself, but most rumors have stated that the aircraft is staying until the end of the UK airshow season before going back to the US.

Dan Friedkin owns the largest single collection of flying Mustangs (8) - an A-36A, P-51B "Berlin Express", P-51C "Princess Elizabeth", P-51D "The Hun Hunter~Texas" (formerly "February"), P-51D "Frenesi", P-51D "Double Trouble Two" (one of two flying in those markings), P-51K "Fragile but Agile" and the TF-51D "Bum Steer" - I believe "Double Trouble Two" (N7TF) is the only Mustang that the Friedkin family has never sent to Duxford/UK. He also owns the largest private collection of flying Spitfires (6) - the Mk.1a AR213, the Mk.1a X4650, the Mk.V EP122, the Mk.V JG891, the Mk.IX ML417 and the Mk.XIV SM832. All in addition to an air force of other flying warbirds, including a couple Bearcats, Wildcat, Hellcat, Tigercat, F4U-4, P-47G, P-40M, P-38L, a couple F-86's, and more.

Regarding the total number of flying Buchons in the UK, the number currently stands at 4 (all of which flew together at this year's Flying Legends airshow): G-AWHC "Red 11", G-AWHH "White 9", G-AWHK "Yellow 10", and G-AWHM "Yellow 7"
      Last edited by JohnTerrell; 16th August 2018, 20:17.

Comment

Wow!
        Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can; motto RAF 19 Squadron)

tracesofwar.com/

Comment

Thank you JT, VERY informative and interesting! I wish Id studied harder at school to have even a tenth of the wealth!

Comment

Duxford Friday 17 August 2018.

French Air Force DHC-6 Twin Otter 292/F-RACC was an early arrival:

IMG_3942 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

The ARCo Lysander 'V9312'/G-CCOM was brought out for an engine run during the afternoon:

IMG_3988 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_2041 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_2044 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

TF-51 '414251'/G-TFSI 'Contrary Mary' paid two visits and gave a practice display:

IMG_3949 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

P-51D's 'KH774'/G-SHWN 'The Shark' & 472216/G-BIXL 'Miss Helen' were also active:

IMG_2039 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Also noted visiting was Gazelle YU-HES:

IMG_3943 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/85383837@N04/
            Last edited by Rivet Joint; 19th August 2018, 10:21.

Comment

That French Twin Otter is what I'd call anonymous bar the reg... no roundels?

Comment

Thank you JT, VERY informative and interesting! I wish I’d studied harder at school to have even a tenth of the wealth!
                Google Tom Friedkin, Dan Friedkin's father. That'll give you a clue...

Comment

I now have! Amazing! Thank you HF.

Comment

Oh boy 'Lizzie' looks amazing! LOVE her paint scheme. How cool will she look flying with the Blenheim!!

Now where to we find a Battle capable of flight.....LOL

Comment

I wonder how many will mistake the CR42 and Lysander, thinking the RAF museum have sold them?
                      pb::

Comment

Duxford Sunday 19th August:

Dragonfly G-AEDU was a welcome visitor this afternoon, on her return home from Shobdon to Biggin Hill:

Two unusual sights today:

20,000 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/

Comment

'Being a bit nosey' and ' All gone to sheet'

Comment

I take it that's R4118 under the sheets?

Comment

Duxford Monday 20th August:

Plenty of action on a very murky Monday, starting with the arrival of Henlow based Avro 504K G-EBHB / E2977:

Lysander G-CCOM / V9312 was taken for a short taxy test:

Returning from the Biggin Hill Airshow :

Comment

Duxford Monday 20th August:

A few more shots of today's highlights!

Avro 504K E2977/G-EBHB
                                IMG_4027 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_4030 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Lysander IIIA V9312/G-CCOM
                                IMG_2045 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_4037 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Avro 504K E2977/G-EBHB & Lysander IIIA V9312/G-CCOM
                                IMG_4034 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/85383837@N04/
                                Last edited by Rivet Joint; 30th August 2018, 17:20.

Comment

The Avro 504 in my opinion is one of the best looking aircraft ever built! I just love them

Comment

R4118 for President!

Hear Hear!

TT
                                    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                                    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                                    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                                    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

TT they really are a good looking old kite!

Comment

Duxford Tuesday 21st August:

TFC's Nimrod I and Wildcat were in action this afternoon:

A few more from today:

Comment

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I do love the scheme on White 9!
                                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment