Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford Diary 2018

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 10 (1 members and 9 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm coming to rather like that Sea Fury.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Certainly such ideas were included in the master plan, which is a proposal, but not yet set in stone, this is still a consultation stage, and the extent of the plan turning into reality depends on a pretty reasonable amount of funding, as is usually the case with museums. However, some works will start in the near future and these include the North side for additional controlled storage space for IWM. I understand that access to the conservation building is planned.

Comment

Much obliged Agent K
        Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
        Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
        www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
        Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

Originally posted by "TEXANTOMCAT"
          On a DX tangent, according to the IWM Meisterplan I understand that the Land Warfare Hall is to be flattened and a new conservation building put up in its place...>>
          If indeed that comes to fruition, it seems an awful waste. Where on earth would the money come from ?
          I would have liked to have seen the hangar rebuilt, which was blown up.
          Last edited by ~Alan~; 11th January 2018, 17:27.
          Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Quite, surely the biggest need is a British Air Transport Museum to house all the outside DAS airliners. At least one of every surviving UK airliner type indoors is a bare minimum for their long term survival I'd have thought. I feel like there shoyld be enough space for this between AAM and LWH without knocking down the latter and shifting the space problem elsewhere!
            Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

Tongue in cheek comment. I am fully aware that car auctions and quilt sales make much needed revenue. HJ711 will hopefully be fired up at East Kirkby this year and it will almost certainly be my highlight of the year.

Knocking down the Land Warfare hall is a stupid idea. Can you imagine saying at a meeting "that building which was put up about 25 years ago at huge expense I suggest we take a backward step, stuff the exhibits back into WW1 hangars. Knock down the new building then lets think about doing the same to the AAM.."
              pb::

Comment

You have to wonder if the AAM weren't already there, would it be built ? In it's present location anyway.
                Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Same with the stupid idea of getting rid of the purpose built Battle of Britain Hall at the RAF Museum and moving key exhibits back to the main hall where they were in 1972.
                  pb::

Comment

Indeed Sadsack. I'm not sure what has happened to the leadership teams at IWM and the RAFM. It's not improvement or progress, it's not even contextualising the human stories. I think their respective satnavs have common software faults and they have forgotten how to read maps so are on a road to nowhere.

I will leave it there as this excellent thread is for all things cool and pretty that still happen at Duxford and I, for one don't want to spoil it!
                    Tony Dyer
                    https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

I think we should be questioning the influence the HLF have in how 'Their' money is spent by these museums. From what I've seen of their influence at another museum its the HLF who seem to think museums should double up as Playschools.
                      As to where the exhibits displaced from the LWH should go, the IWM has a big empty building in Manchester that could take many of them.

Comment

I understand the concerns about the Land Warfare Hall and the twenty year plan that IWM Duxford are trying to put together. It is all dependent on funding, and without the cash, it won't happen. Plus, today's musuem management is completely different to how the vast majority viewing this thread remember form twenty to forty years back. Much like management in industry, the ideas and ways of doing things have changed. Some of the younger generation reading this may be wondering what all the fuss is about. To some people of any age group, there is nothing wrong with the plan, and it will work, in some form or other, eventually. The old saying "if it ain't broke, don't repair it", is now sadly well out of date. It appears that modern methods require everything to change, with seemingly, little regard to any benefits that may/may not be gained/lost.

Comment

"You have to wonder if the AAM weren't already there, would it be built ? In it's present location anyway."

Given it was funded significantly by HLF and American benefactors yes it would be built, not sure the relevance of at it's present location? you mean Duxford or at that particular place at Duxford? With Duxford being the best location for an American museum given it's history then I suspect it would still be at Duxford.

"I'm not sure what has happened to the leadership teams at IWM and the RAFM. It's not improvement or progress, it's not even contextualising the human stories. I think their respective satnavs have common software faults and they have forgotten how to read maps so are on a road to nowhere."

Whilst one could question the motive and some of the actions taken (talking IWM Duxford here), it's always worthwhile considering things in light of all the facts and influences, namely government funding decreasing year on year (projected to have fallen by over 50% by 2020 from it's peak - so that gap in cash flow needs to be plugged and is a priority); with HFL and governmental funding comes restrictions/guidelines to be educational etc. etc.; the airliner collection is owned by DAS and not IWM and Duxford consists of many partners, including IWM, DAS, operators etc.

Notwithstanding, I'd still like to understand more some of the decisions taken over the years......

Comment

I can think of at least a dozen folk who post here that could sit down around a table and come up with the right way forward for IWM & RAFM the major problem is that the ones in charge are not like people here, they are looking at it from a completely different prospective, mind you I could see some sticking points being pushed around on what goes what where what colour etc.

My thing is do you need to spend money on think tanks and large ornaments is place of maybe building a new hangar where once one stood? (ok it will spoil the view of the new entrance)
                            SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                            TA out

Comment

"I can think of at least a dozen folk who post here that could sit down around a table and come up with the right way forward....."

You'd get 12 people, 12 different views, not agreement on or enough funding for any of them......

".....maybe building a new hangar where once one stood? (ok it will spoil the view of the new entrance)"

I wouldn't dismiss this at all as an option within the masterplan discussions. ability to raise the finances dependent of course. I'm interested as to how you and these 12 would propose to secure this funding?
                              Last edited by Agent K; 12th January 2018, 11:41.

Comment

And use the forward fuselage of Halifax PN323 as landfill?
                                Cheers
                                Cees

Comment

Agent K, funding is found for what they are doing, I have no idea of how the funding would be done but I do know that some major silly mistakes with money now is being done.
                                  I assume monies for such things as ornaments would not be available to fund the restoration of an aeroplane IE as above the Halibag nose.

I am not criticising anyone I am merely pointing out they have their job to do which in some cases diverts completely away from the aeroplanes themselves and that history we can all look at photos and model dioramas but it aint the same as standing beside the real thing.
                                  SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                                  TA out

Comment

I reckon the people who run the cafe might object to the old hangar being rebuilt.
                                    Saying that, we haven't been in there since it changed hands a couple of years ago.

Maybe IWM Duxford is a victim of it's own success ? There just isn't enough room to build everything they would like.

Comment

Duxford is a fantastic place, when I think back to the early mid 70s and how it all started and visiting P51s B24 etc I never ever thought we would see what we see today.
                                      Those characters who were the early preservation boys and girls, could it be done today? not a chance.
                                      SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                                      TA out

Comment

I've mentioned this before but will so again - the thing is to ACCESS HLF money you have to have some form of USP, that is kiddy involvement, a building of architectural interest etc etc. Milestones of Flight wasnt really relevant to the RAF but it was a 'hook' on which RAFM got access to some cash and a new building - see also CWH at Cosford and Airspace at DX.

The GOOD thing is that some of these projects actually set aside cash to refurbish aircraft/artefacts to go inside them. A Good Thing.

Personally I dont really mind what the building looks like as long as the aircraft/artefacts are kept for future generations UNDERCOVER - what is considered crap now is irrelevant in 30 years time, but if the things themselves have been preserved then they have survived - simples.

What concerns me is not National collections loaning things to other museums - thats fine, as long as they are conserved and people can see them, they remain the property of the nation - but its one set of management disposing of items or spanking a load of cash on something then disposing of it some of which are short term gains. Once they've gone from a national collection - they've gone!

This of course needs careful balancing of course with the actual space one has. To play devil's advocate for a second - does DX need TWO Phantoms? Does the RAFM need two Bf109s and two FW190s (I am being deliberately provocative here!) both on display when the Hind and Seagull remain in store.... answers on a postcard please.....

I sympathize with the predicament of modern museums - however - instead of the Museum in house developing a new display- they instead apply for funding and spank thousands on a 'display interpretation' company to set out their new exhibitions for them - its all contracted out - much like most of HMG these days it seems!

TT
                                        Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                                        Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                                        www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                                        Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

The Essex Aviation Groups displays were a credit also but alas most of the artefacts were sold off its a shame they could not of been retained.
                                          SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                                          TA out

Comment

Working...
                                          X