• Time
  • Show
Clear All

....and your Spits for free
    www.flickr.com/photos/spinner673

Comment

LOL

Comment

TE184 was a Merlin 266 powered LF MkXVIe and as such was built at a time (march/april 45) when all MkIX and MKXVI spits were low back. To me its a shame it was changed to something its not when we have ample normal spitfires about and few of the bubble top that represented the pinicle of the modified merlin range. Just my veiw.
        TN

Comment

Talking of Merlin power, not a colour you see every day. TE184 being dismantled in Oct 2006.

Brian
          The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
          DfG on Facebook

Comment

Red was quite a popular colour for Vintage V12 built Merlins, TD248's was the same, in fact both aircraft shared the same hangar for a few years.
            www.hardwickwarbirds.com

Comment

Most of the American Merlin rebuilders have used some kind of a "house color" on their engines. Nixon (Vintage V-12) and Sandberg (JRS) were red. As I remember it Dwight Thorn (Mystery Aire) used metallic blue, while Jack Hovey painted the blocks in gold.

T J
              "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

Comment

If you watch Kermit Weeks videos from Vintage V12s from a few months back you'll see a couple of different colours on Merlins! I believe there was a bluey grey colour and a lovely looking OD sort of a colour if my memory serves me right!

Comment

Wonderful - Topside at its best ? - Today at Duxford

SM845 / G-BUOS by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman
                  Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Comment

Wednesday 18th April

A hot sunny day at Duxford and I topped up my tan that I started on Saturday. There was a big aircraft movement before the museum opened when Handley Page HPR.7 Herald/G-APWJ was moved from Airliner Row into AirSpace where it will spend the next few days being finished painted and having missing bits added. The FSM Spitfire, on the hangar base, has been marked up to represent QV-I/X4474 a Mk.1 Spitfire of 19 Squadron and then it will be on loan to the RAF as it goes around the country as one of the static exhibits on the 'RAF100' tour. Spitfire/PT462 was flying passengers again and Spitfire Mk FRXVIIIe/SM845 went up for a short air test and a spot of aerobatics afterwards. In the order taken.

Sony Alpha A6000 CSC & Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC + Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens

Brian
                    Last edited by Pen Pusher; 18th April 2018, 19:25.
                    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                    DfG on Facebook

Comment

Duxford Wednesday 18th April

Visiting Harvard G-CIUW / FE511:

More of the Silver Dream Machine:

20,000 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/

Comment

I can hear that Griffon...

Comment

She really needs to stay in the UK when she gets sold! She's an absolute beauty is SM845

Comment

A few more pictures of Spitfire XVIII SM845/G-BUOS in action at Duxford today.

IMG_0999 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_0760 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_0750 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Comment

If my Euro-millions numbers come up, then I know where I'm going....!
                              Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Thank you for the reminder Daz!

Comment

Darren
                                  I know where my money would go too! It would be the first thing I'd do.and then I'd bring p51 little ite over here too!

Comment

You really have to hand it to DAS for their work on their airliners dont you - I think they've refurbished most of them over the last ten years or so and big old beasties to work on!
                                    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                                    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                                    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                                    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

A few more pictures of the Spitfire XVIII SM845/G-BUOS in the Duxford sunshine yesterday.

IMG_0999 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_0760 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

IMG_0750 by Fred Taylor, on Flickr

Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/85383837@N04/
                                      Last edited by Rivet Joint; 20th April 2018, 22:23.

Comment

MH434 and PT462 in a state of undress in the very warm late afternoon sun...
                                        Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

So, is this Harvard a new kid on the block?

T J
                                          "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

Comment

Working...
                                          X