No airshow at Scampton in 2018!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

8 years 9 months

Just announced on BBC's "Look North" that the RAF's centenary year will not be marked with a display at Scampton, by the looks of things. Higher costs than anticipated and poor ticket sales blamed apparently. I'm trying to keep this rant in check!

Original post

Member for

14 years

A little early to be counting ticket sales ?
Unless they are going by sales this year ?

Member for

17 years 6 months

They are hoping to come back in 2019. I think they over estimated how much people were willing to pay, that's the only reason I didn't go! Second only to RIAT on ticket price with no major crowd puller and an average flying display I just couldn't justify the cost which was a pity as I was really looking forward to it when it was first announced

Member for

17 years 6 months

Scampton Airshow Statement
On September 9-10 Scampton Airshow Limited, with the support of the RAF Charitable Trust Enterprises (RAFCTE), RAF personnel and a hardworking team of volunteers successfully staged a new airshow at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire. The two-day event attracted 50,000 visitors from the East of England and beyond. Organising an aviation event on the scale of the Scampton Airshow involved many stakeholders, significant planning and we are very proud of what was collectively delivered.
However, post-event there remains a lot to reflect on and areas where we would like to improve. As the organiser, we have concluded that rather than stage an airshow in 2018, we will use next year to fully consider the many lessons learnt with the ambition of running an event in 2019. We are very grateful to the many volunteers, sponsors, participants and local agencies, as well as the many thousands of people who attended September’s airshow, for their support.
Full statement available here: bit.ly/2o4zsmF

Member for

17 years 5 months

And the 100th anniversary too.... Perhaps if they lowered the price to make it affordable you would get the punter numbers through the doors.

Member for

24 years 2 months

IIRC, Finningley used to get 100,000 for a one day airshow 20 odd years ago.
The RAF - and other air forces - had a lot more noisy heavy metal then though.
We stopped going to Waddington, although it's only an hour away, because we realised we weren't particularly interested in anything that was flying, not least F-16s from half a dozen different countries. Possibly a slight exaggeration but there were a lot!

Member for

9 years 6 months

After the washout at East Fortune this year I'm waiting until 48 hours before the show prior to purchasing any tickets. I wouldn't be buying them months in advance.

Seems a bit of a shame to have no airshow at Scampton for the 100th anniversary.

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

Well I'm disappointed it has been cancelled, we had already booked accommodation and were staying down for the Beds Steam Show and then Duxford.

What constitutes a good display, both on the ground and in the air, I suppose relates to what you are interested in and, as has been discussed many, many times before what one calls "expensive" is highly subjective. The tickets were £39 each day and £20 extra for the grandstand enclosure. If you compare this with the cost of other entertainment then this is not expensive, factor in that the show consists of flying aeroplanes of many ages then it becomes extremely good value especially following Shoreham. Farnborough's tickets this year are £42 for advanced adult, tickets for the Royal Air Force Centenary Gala at the Albert Hall are £70 a head and tickets at the Edinburgh Tattoo mid range seats range from £45 to £58. Champions League Manchester United tickets for non-members range from £36 to £58. A pack of cigarettes is around £7-65 and a pint average is £3-60. From the North West the fuel will cost one ticket and as always the accommodation will make more out of me than the airshow. So, IMHO, airshows are not expensive when compared with other forms of paid entertainment.
As for the content of the show this again is all in the eye of the beholder. What was there not to like this year. Old favourites like Sally B and Miss Pickup, several historic jets, the Pembroke, A400 which you can never tire of watching, Sentry, Sentinel and Red Arrows fly past, KC135, BBMF, B727 demo, Bronco, pair of Vampires, Red Arrows, Anson, a handful of fast jets and more. For me this was a well balanced air show with something for every interest. The static side of the show was also good with what amounted to an Auster and Chipmonk fly in, the RAF Fire Brigade collection and four of HHA's aircraft including the Buccaneer. Not to mention the opportunity to see the grave of "that" black dog!!!

If you cannot afford the actual airshow days, which is a completely different matter, then I can highly recommend pre-show fly-in days these consist of many aircraft arriving for the static display which you will not see in the air on show days. Also there will be aircraft up for practice. Scampton on Friday was £10 a head and it was a full day of flying and in many ways as good as an airshow. This was certainly true for RIAT fly in Thursday at £15 a head, a very full day of flying with the heavies arriving and much practicing and without the crowds, all enthusiasts. And yes I know you have to work. I am lucky, I have done my bit!

Apart from anything else surely, what ever your views almost any airshow is better than no airshow and this year's show was far better than just "any".

Member for

17 years 6 months

Compared to other events yes the ticket price is average but compared to other airshows, well that's a different matter!

Member for

8 years 9 months

The ticket price for the surrounding demographic is pretty high, to be honest. Lincoln (and lots of Lincolnshire) has lagged behind other areas of the country in terms of income and housing prices (I’m generalising here). Lots of locals thought the price too high, by the tune of over £10 too much. Factor in a family of 4 and it gets a bit expensive.

I think not having an RAF Lincolnshire airshow in the RAF’s Centenary year is a HUGE oversight and very embarrassing, but typifies the state of finances/stretch that the Forces are going through at the moment.

Scampton Airshow got it wrong on several levels including some behind the scenes stuff that put a few noses out of joint, mine included. They are a commercial organisation that demonstrated lots of money grabbing, but little thought for both local and the military community, and the history that goes with it. I wish them every success when (if) they return in 2019, but hopefully they’ll recognise when they need to be a little more giving, and less taking.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Maybe the organisers should also have looked at the European airshow calendar before deciding to have the show on a date when most of the main flying display acts would already be booked. I know it does not affect the local population who visit for a day out, but if there are no (very few) international aircraft it is hardly a memorable event. Cost and the need for advanced tickets will put the causal visitor off.