USAAF control towers: Photos sought

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Any of you wonderfully-resourceful folk have any wartime photos of control towers. The interior is preferable, but exterior ones will help too.

Before you ask, yes I have:

• made contact with the Airfield Research Group
  • looked at ControlTowers.co.uk
  • visited swathes of old control towers/watch offices (e.g. Lincs Aviation, Yorkshire Aviation, Thorpe Abbotts, etc. There's a few more to do yet)
  • made contact with Doris at the IWM
  • used Paul Francis as a resource

I have a fair amount of information already. I am just looking to supplement what I have.

Thank you.

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

You might want to make contact with the curator of the 453BG Museum at Old Buckenham. He may have some pics...

Member for

19 years 3 months

If you need any now shots let me know. We are doing 25x B-24 bases in 72 hours. We did a similar tour of other towers 3 years ago.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi Auster Fan: Long time, no hear (my fault). Thank you for your advice. I will track him down. (ex-"Janie")

Hi Rocketeer: How original would the items in the 'new' pics be? Most of the museums I have seen are only a percentage of total accuracy. This is simply because of availability of items. Hey! Show me the pics, regardless! I'm interested in all information.

THANK YOU.

Member for

20 years 3 months

@Carol: you could always drop into Old Buck in the Chippie and see him in person...?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Auster Fan: Indeed. Thank you. I'll need to track down who you mean first!

Duggy: Great stuff. Thank you. That's a good help.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Nice ones of basssingbourne inside around

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi Rocketeer
Thank you for the offer of 'now' shots. Although, I am always interested, it leaves a possibility for something not being exactly as it was. If I have the original photo, there is no room for error.

My inspiration is the recreation of the Claude Grahame-White office at the RAF Museum where they have recreated it in minute detail just using a single black and white photograph for information.

Member for

20 years 3 months

@Carol: Jim Clarey is your man. Phone the Old Buck number (01953 860806) and choose the relevant option...

Member for

20 years 8 months

Much appreciated AF. I'll give that a go.