Derwent parts in Star Wars

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

Who knew? http://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-the-meteor

I wonder what else they used from British scrapyards - the chap interviewed said "I went around Britain buying up scrap aircraft, jet engines — all sorts of stuff. Out of that we did most of the set dressing.”

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

Lightsaber emitter is actually a WW1 rifle based grenade launcher off memory..

Member for

15 years 3 months

Some Empire Storm Troopers are armed with a MG 42...

Member for

17 years 11 months

Standard StormTrooper blaster was based on a Stirling SMG..

Member for

14 years 1 month

One of my last trips to Hanningfield Metals revealed a couple of (B-52?) seat and a smashed F-86L canopy: both supposedly came from a container-load of mixed random aircraft parts gathered from around the Davis Monthan scrapyards and brought over for one of the Star wars films. The Manston History Museum had (has?) one of the other Hanningfield F-86L canopies, but fortunately not smashed.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Lots of bits of the landspeeder come from TR1985 radios

Member for

19 years 5 months

The young boy in the first Star Wars film (I believe who grows up to be Darth Vader...I'm not an expert on the newer films) wears BoB-era RAF-style goggles when he races his hover-racer.
I believe they're made by Halcyon, I have a pair for my roadster.

Member for

7 years 7 months

The Stromtrooper's Heavy Blaster rifle was heavily based on a Rheinmetall-Borsig MG 15.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Warning. Geek alert!
Han Solo's pistol is a Mauser.
Princess Leia's pistol is a Luger.
The scene where Stormtroopers try to blast the Falcon in the Spaceport at Moss Eisley,
if you look closely you can see a road work towed compressor.
Leia hides from Troopers behind a set made of grey plumbers tubing.
The large spaceship during the opening scene of ANH. If you look at it's rear you can see the doors from a model kit APC.
R2D2's eye is actually the directional air vent from a 70's airliner.
The list is endless...

BTW wasn't there a helicopter or aircraft in the cargo bay of the Nostromo in Alien?

Member for

14 years 7 months

One also carries what appears to be a Lewis Gun.

Member for

16 years 3 months

One of the Peter Cushing Dr Who films has Vickers Vimy (replica?) engine cowlings as set dressing.

Member for

19 years 10 months

One of the spaceships on Star Wars has a Vickers Viscount steering yoke

Member for

24 years 3 months

You mean they are not real spaceships ?

Member for

16 years 3 months

The crew entry ladders for the fighters were/are F-4 Phantom rear cockpit entry steps.

Presumably there was a yard, or yards, full of them at one time.

Anon.

Member for

17 years 11 months

One of the spaceships on Star Wars has a Vickers Viscount steering yoke

Millennium Falcon had two..Mounted back to front...Also had a Martin Baker ejection seat in it..
Some guys are building a full size Spaceship....
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=147319&

Member for

19 years 10 months

The Millenium falcon was designed on a B29 cockpit.

Member for

16 years 5 months

The lightsaber emitter on the Obi Wan saber is the ballance pipe from the Derwent engine, then next in line (working your way from front to back) its the WW1 British rifle grenade, then its a flash clamp from a graflex camera flash with a part of an old calculator attached (the clear bubbles), then its an ASM2 booster from a 303 MKII Browning machine gun, then its an old Armitage Shanks handwheel off a water tap.

I used to collect these items and still have them.

Keith

Member for

8 years 8 months

Christ, virgins of the world unite. You lot need to get out more.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hmmm, you could say that about any hobby really. Making something accurate out of rare hard to find parts is more of an art than geeky. I find the people that stereotype others like that are just sheep, saying something that someone else has said and don't have much imagination or mind of their own.
Some of the people i know in that hobby are far from geeks. A few i know are soldiers and police officers infact. Oh and i have three Sons myself, the first one was born when i was 19 years old.

Keith

Member for

11 years 2 months

I firmly believe that if someone can find some interest in a subject then it has demonstrable value, no matter how bizarre, off beat or baffling I may find that interest.