Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Mystery Object!

Hi All

Here's an object I picked up recently - it looks like it should be from a blind/assisted landing system but I can't find any such system by Googling. Anyone any ideas?

It's numbered 10AF/518 and consists of two moving coil meters with connections on the four clustered terminals. One of the threaded connections is connected to the metalwork the other has no connection.

Cheers
    James
    Attached Files

James,
    My copy of Section 10AF only has one page, but does include this! Not that it really helps. It says-
    "Meters, Range and Orbiting. Modified (10A/16113) by increased sensitivity and different markings. Two windings, one matted above the other. 0-500 in A sensitivity and 250-0-250 in A from centre."
    Make of that what you will!
    My copies of Section 10A don't include 10A/16113.

Andy

Comment

Looks like an early form of Range and Heading meter - so perhaps something like Rebecca?

Comment

Or an early form of some sort of glide slope

It does look a bit like a combined DME VOR ADF display.
        Last edited by TonyT; 5th December 2017, 23:29.

Comment

More Localiser than Glide Slope. Distance and direction (no bearing, the graduations probably representing increments of 5 degrees each side) to a facility.

Anon.

Comment

It suddenly occured to me that it could be a very early Sat Nav display

Could be a 'slave' readout for a bombing computer?

James

Comment

Does anybody have a copy of Section 10A which includes 10A/16113?
              And what might 'orbiting' mean in the context of a meter display?
              Andy

Comment

I wondered whether it could be a Rebecca Mk 4 range and orbit meter ? However, the only description I have is of an early model, and that doesn't seem to fit the photo.

Comment

Hi

Abadonna: I looked at some REBECCA items and the main readout equipment all seems to be CRT based. The distance scale on the meter itself is so coarse that I couldn't imagine it being used for any more than a rough indication of where the goal is, so perhaps a repeater for the pilot or other crew member? Either the person viewing the meter isn't involved in the final activity or the target is so big that you couldn't possibly miss it!

Andy: I can think of a few concepts for Orbit, but none that fit well. Also you could imagine someone in 1940 thinking to themselves - 'what shall we call this sort of meter...?'

Cheers
                  James

Comment

James,

the range and orbit meter was a rebecca 4 add-on, additional to primary CRT display. Developed in late 1940s. Not completely sure if it went into production, although AP2276A, May 50, notes rebecca 4 has "provision" for operation with a meter.

Comment

Range and Heading was used in Rebecca Mk 8 - which is why I wondered if it might be similar.

Comment

Hi All

Found this for Rebecca 7

Much more sophisticated than my meter so perhaps is for an earlier version?

Andy - this meter looks like it might deserve the 'Orbital' moniker?

Cheers
                        James
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X