So what is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what is it?

This photograph was taken in 1937 near the premises of Waldorf Aero & Auto Ltd., 304 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. So what is it?
    Attached Files

Blackburn bluebird G-AAOJ

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalap...llregmark=AAOJ

Comment

Simmonds Spartan, but on second thoughts its not as they were tandem seating.
      Last edited by pogno; 30th November 2017, 14:28.
      "Where are you from?"
      "America" Somebody laughed politely.

Comment

L4x2

youve' seen the reflection above plane also

Comment

Thanks! That's what it appears to be - a Bluebird IV. Had me a little confused as other versions had a more rounded empennage. As an aside, Blackburn built a shadow factory in Dumbarton near Glasgow in 1937 but it didn't start production until 1938. It's most famous product was the Short Sunderland - building 250 of the 749 produced, including I believe ML814 currently residing with Kermit Weeks.

Comment

Continuing the theme of Bluebirds in Glasgow - there are a couple of photos of Mrs Victor Bruce's Bluebird G-ABDS being towed through the city in 1931 on the following website -

http://motoringheritage.co.uk/produc...-victor-bruce/

Comment

The clues are there to firmly establish the registration as G-AAOJ from both aircraft and reflection.

The undated, but very many years ago (1970s?), Air Britain publication, 'The British Civil Aircraft Registers G-AAAA - AAZZ' gives the following 'potted' history:

G-AAOJ Blackburn L.1C Bluebird IV (SB.222)
              Initial C of A 13.3.30, National Flying Services Ltd, Hanworth.
              Cirrus III changed for DH Gipsy I engine.
              Sold to Miss Winifred S. Slack at Renfrew from 27.5.31
              Withdrawn from use on expiry of its C of A from 6.7.34.
              Last recorded as dismantled at Gatwick in March 1937.
              Registration marks cancelled on 12.3.38

Certainly confirms Glasgow ownership/base for this particular machine, although the 1937 date for the Glasgow photo and 1937 (if correct) as dismantled at Gatwick are a little close. More detail researched and provided than the CAA digitised record card, for which the link was provided in an earlier post.
              Last edited by viscount; 1st December 2017, 01:09.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure who Winifred S Slack was. Bill Slack was married to Christina Winifred Rollafson. Bill, along with his son Harry, ran Waldorf Aero & Auto. So this definitely places the photo in the early 1930's. Bill Slack and his wife were killed in an air raid on Glasgow on 13 March 1941 - first night of the Clydebank Blitz.

Comment

Working...
                X