Robinson Redwing G-ABNX

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

7 years 2 months

Could anyone update me on the current status and future of this lovely aircraft. The sole remaining of 12 built.
I remember it seeing it at both Shoreham and Slinfold in the 1990s in ownership of John Pothecary.
It was sold by him to the Redwing Preservation Trust in 2002 who's aim was to keep the Redwing in the UK and maintain it in flying condition. Its permit to fly expired the following year. It has remained stored ever since. I now hear it has been sold on to the grandson of the original chap who imported one to New Zealand and is being restored at Durley.
Does this mean when restored it will depart to NZ. If so it looks like the trust has failed on both counts.
I'm sure this would not have been what John Pothecary intended when he sold it to the trust.
Could someone perhaps put me straight on this one, and possibly correct my concerns.
:confused:

Original post

Member for

19 years

Hoping for the best result! Fond memories of 'BNX as this was the first aviation photo I had published back in the '60's when it was at Christchurch.

Member for

7 years 2 months

Was that the photo that appeared in Ian Allen 1963 Civil Aircraft Markings Newforest. The spotters bible.
I Still have a copy.

Member for

19 years

Spot on Elmdon!!! Identity revealed now, ATC, 622 Gliding School. Memories come flooding back, but where did the time go? best wishes...........

Member for

11 years 4 months

The Redwing is under new ownership and is just about to start her rebuild, the Engine is with Vintech for Overhaul and a new prop has been ordered.... She will be fitted with the large wheels not the Tiger size ones....

Aero Antiques.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Shoreham - 13 June 1976 .....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4554/38677219662_8c7347cb25_o.jpg

Member for

7 years 2 months

Thanks for the update civil aero I hope after restoration that it stays in UK, and that my fears of it going to NZ are unfounded.

Member for

11 years 4 months

Yes she will be staying in Hampshire ....after the rebuild.

Member for

11 years 4 months

One year into the rebuild and the tail group, and wings + aileron are ready for re covering...we are well on with the fuse....

Aero Antiques..

Member for

11 years 4 months

Well done on your progress so far, civil aero, and thanks for the update :)

Member for

16 years 8 months

I wonder how many British light aeroplanes stayed in the same individual ownership for as long as this Redwing. It was registered to John Pothecary and Ted Gould in 1960 before the former acquired it outright in 1962 and owned it for 40 years until selling it to the Redwing Syndicate in 2002. It makes his 23 year ownership of Swift G-ABUU seem trifling!

Member for

20 years 1 month

The Reading Flying Group have had Tiger Moth G-ANFM for over 50 years, though not all the individual have remained for the whole time.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Hi avion ancien there are a fair few light aircraft that have been in the same individual ownership that I know of, my brother has had his for over 42 years and I’ve had mine for over 35 years, you get attached to them :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Absolutely right Sopwith. I've had my Airtourer for 32 years and there is nothing I can afford that comes near to replacing it. It just simply fills my "mission profile" very well...

Member for

7 years 2 months

G-EBWD DH 60 Moth has been in the Shuttleworth ownership at Old Warden for 86 years, don't think that can be beaten.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I did say 'individual ownership' - as opposed to companies, charities, trusts, etc..

Member for

15 years 1 month

Post 13 and 14 are referring to individual ownership.

Member for

11 years 4 months

Gipsy Moth G-AAWO and G-AAHI owned by the Reid Family from 1955.....

Member for

20 years 1 month

Messenger G-AKIN 1951- present based at Sywell - and 1951 - 2006 with the Spiller family (now the Sywell Messenger Trust). As an aside we think AKIN holds the record after the Shuttleworth DH60 of being based continuously at the same UK airfield....unless you know differently! :)

Member for

11 years 4 months

I think the longest up here in Scotland is probably Tiger Moth G-AHUV owned by the Gordon family of Blair Atholl since 1960.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Redwing in 1965

Attachments