Elvington Beagle Terrier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elvington Beagle Terrier

Does anyone have any close ups of the cowlings and rudder on this machine ?

Could you be a little more specific about the identity of the machine in which you are interested?

Comment

There is one Beagle Terrier at Elvington - painted as VW993 from memory

Comment

David I'm at the Museum tomorrow. I will take some pictures for you and post as soon as I can.
        Victor K2 real combat jets have ejector seats!

Comment

Thanks -I helped the late Steve Hague with parts years ago .

Comment

Hi David as promised, I photographed the Terrier for you. it was a good excuse for getting out of the biting wind we had yesterday! Steve is still missed.

I hope that helps.
            Victor K2 real combat jets have ejector seats!

Comment

Thanks for that ! I need to have a chat with someone up there to try and help it a bit !

Comment

I'm no Beagle/Auster/Terrier expert but isn't the fin/rudder assembly from an earlier Auster?

Comment

Certainly not the correct one for a Terrier/AOP6 etc. Looks more like that from an Auster IV/V or J/1 although the mass balance appears to be missing and the paint scheme looks all wrong (with no disrespect to those who put it together...)
                  I like being grey - it means I can worry without it showing!

Comment

The fin will be from its days as a 'Auster V' -it will be ok for AOP.6 . The rudder is as said missing mass balance and possibly a little out of shape. The problem with most of these Terrier to AOP.6 reworks is that you end up with something of a mix ! It has the larger tailplanes of the Terrier and the reconfigured rear decking.

Sadly for some reason there doesnt appear to be a willingness to display a Terrier as a civil aircraft in the U.K .

Comment

Are there 2 Austers at Elvington. I photographed this some time ago. I thought it was an AOP5 TJ707.
                      Attached Files
                      Robert Whitton,
                      Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

Robert -that was the Terrier pretending to be 'TJ707' . The was an Auster V G-ANLU there in the early days that moved on .

Comment

The original TJ707 was the AOP6 prototype and hence the glazing on that picture would have been incorrect....

Comment

On a previous visit it had an AOP5 cowling. (In silver)
                            My "own" AOP5 originally had the same rear window shape, but was converted back to the original and a dummy cowling was manufactured..
                            Attached Files
                            Robert Whitton,
                            Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

The Terrier in the Museum of Scotland at Chambers Street Edinburgh looks more like a proper AOP6 but still has the Terrier window arrangement.
                              Attached Files
                              Robert Whitton,
                              Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

Robert -I would like to see a picture of 'your' AOP5 with that window arrangement. The whole issue of AST Austers is still somewhat muddied. Regards the Scottish Terrier -larger fin and rudder alongside the rear decking changes.

Comment

There must be a few Terriers/Austers ferretted away in the UK still? Are there many out there still in original un-converted (Terrier) Auster AOP configuration?

Comment

Antony - hardly any in stock AOP.6 configuration -two or three maybe

Comment

Theres a couple registered as AOP6s, but I think only one flies and thats on the display circuit. Otherwise a handful registered as Auster 6As, the rest as Terriers pretty much.

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess thats Kev's Auster then TW536? That is a pretty stock AOP-6 if ever I saw one. Ian O'Neill was telling me I am sure that someone restored her to that config many years ago?

Comment

Working...
                                        X