Project Workspaces

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 5 months

I am thinking about setting up a not-for-profit organisation that provides secure workspaces for transport (not just aviation) restoration projects. The idea is to go for a heritage lottery grant or similar but not for any one specific project, thus making it more eligible because it will be seen by funding sources as a heritage movement rather than individual hobbyists, which has always been a problem before.

What do people think?

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

That or have a list of available spaces...

Member for

15 years 1 month

That’s a great idea Beermat and QldSpitty. Good luck with it.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Well, I have sent off a 'pre-qualification' form to the HLF, to see what they think.

In the meantime, a list of spaces seems like a good idea. I am thinking that shared resources would make sense - tooling, leccy, coffee etc!

Member for

14 years 5 months

Well, I laid it on thick about the opportunities for voluntary involvement, education and raising awareness of our heritage that such places could offer. and mentioned that the rules of use would include sustainable and environmentally friendly practice, as well as a level of 'community engagement'. For it to work, and get funding, there would need to be access from the public if only for one day a week or something, and a level of training up of any young volunteers that might get roped in. I am suggesting four projects per unit..

Member for

19 years 3 months

I've always thought that if I came into money, an old airfield or group of buildings to form a cooperative of restorers would be great....

Member for

18 years 10 months

One of the blokes on a motorcycle forum I'm on is involved with something similar. A bunch of mostly old guys with too much time & too many projects took over an old building. They've got everything from bikes, buses, cars & even 3 or 4 locomotives in the place. Not sure of the location, I think it's oop North someplace, possibly Yorkshire.
I may be mistaken, but I think they said it was a bus depot in a former life.

Here's the link:

https://www.therevcounter.co.uk/threads/78807-The-King-of-Sheds

Member for

11 years 3 months

Don't forget the national organisation Mens Sheds google, menssheds.org.uk/ they describe themselves as "A Men's Shed is a larger version of the typical man's shed in the garden – a place where he feels at home and pursues practical interests." .

Their website this morning says that they have 432 affiliated 'sheds' across the UK. I'm not a member yet but with one just getting set up locally it has some attraction to me.

Member for

13 years 1 month

I think this is a really good idea, I'd certainly support it.

Location could be difficult, airfields are usually out of the way with poor communications but places in towns are expensive but if an arty crafty lot can do it I don't see any insurmountable reasons not to try.