Stolen WW2 Aircraft Parts

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hi everyone

A friend of ours in Queensland was robbed while in town. Message below from Ash Briggs, Chairman of the Australian National Aviation Museum

To my aviation collecting friends. If you could please keep your eyes and ears open as my good friend Bill Martin from Toowoomba has had some piece of low life scum enter his property while Bill was in town and steal several items including a Beaufighter nose cone, Boomerang wing ammo access cover as well as P40 ammunition chutes destined for Bill's P40 restoration. Some of these items have deep personal connections for Bill. So as we are a relatively small community and these items are rather unique. If you could please share this around so we can get these items back to Bill it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ash.

The beau nosecone would be an unusual item for someone, it may be black market stuff, it may be scrap metal thieves. We are contacting everyone local, but in case this stuff pops up on other sites including eBay (UK, US etc, rather than the dot com dot au version) please let me know.

No joy on Spitfire parts yet as per my last post, thanks to everyone for advice thus far

Cheers

Ewan

Original post

Member for

18 years

Its not the first time hes been hit either :( This community really upsets me sometimes.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hope for a speedy recovery! (if not punishment)

TO be clear/details, while Bill Martin was visiting someone else, someone broke into his home and stole the items?
Nothing else taken?

If so, that would be an inside job. A common thief would ignore the "junk"

Member for

18 years

Beaufighter noses arent exactly plentiful in the world...
From what I know he was in town during the day when items were stolen.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Has he recently featured in any publications at all?

Member for

13 years 7 months

No publications recently, there have been visitors over the last few weeks but they are known people

Member for

20 years 7 months

I hope it is soon returned and hope even more that it isn't going to be treated as scrap metal :(

Member for

24 years 3 months

Only one word describes them - mongrels. I hope he gets his stuff back.

Member for

19 years 5 months

It's pretty clear why a few museums have a "no photo' policy.
Airfields are remote and many collections can't afford a high tech security or alarm system.

Still, stealing such rare and esoteric items is a puzzle. It's not like someone needs a nose piece to build a flyer, and if they were after scrap there are easier ways to get it.

Member for

18 years

Bill is a pretty well known guy in circles here in Australia so hopefully if they do show up someone will nail them.

Member for

13 years 7 months

******UPDATE*****

The aircraft parts have been returned! Thanks to the power of the internet :) Read below

A good news story to start the day. My post from a week ago regarding items that had been stolen from Bill Martin has had a positive outcome. With all the pilfered items being returned ie. dumped in the driveway overnight. Now whether social media played a hand no one knows. But these items had become infamous and toxic to any collector. So a great outcome. They are now back where they belong. Many thanks to all of those who shared the post and spread the word.
Cheers,
Ash.

Member for

19 years 9 months

great new's

Member for

12 years 3 months

:applause:

Member for

15 years 1 month

Great news.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Phew at least they were returned and not melted down or buried to be lost.

Member for

13 years 7 months

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/snoopy-dance-gif-20.gif

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's good news indeed