WWII. Price of Empire.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 8 months

Having just watched the Battle of Britain episode, I noticed in one of the clips, a Hurricane taking off with what appears to be O2-A code letters. Now I know that Keith Park used OK-1 on his personal Hurricane, but the codes on the Hurricane in the clip are new to me. Could it be SD or SO reversed?.

Original post

Member for

12 years 8 months

Rather annoyingly i have taken a picture of the Hurricane using my camera phone but i can`t find a way to post it using the forum on my mobile!.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Judging from the completely random nature of the clips used in this type of TV programmes I'd be surprised if the Hurricane in question was from the Battle-of-Britain, Britain.....or even World War Two!

I quite like the narrative of 'Price of Empire' but just have to ignore the 'corresponding' images!

Member for

12 years 8 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256279[/ATTACH]t

Attachments

Member for

18 years 3 months

Could it be OB - 53 OTU?

Member for

24 years 2 months

It looks like SD-A but with the picture reversed, this would make it a 501 Sqn aircraft.

Member for

14 years 7 months

When it's reversed....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256280[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

11 years 1 month

There was another sequence of Hurricanes in flight which was clearly reversed.
The footage was very 'illustrative' rather than specific and a lot used in that episode is the same as that in the identically titled episode of The World at War (albeit that there is a degree of inevitability in that).

Member for

12 years 8 months

It would seem that the footage is reversed and we are indeed seeing a 501 Squadron Hurricane taking off. Unusual size of code letters make it a nice aircraft for the modellers out there.