Battle of Britain film...it's a crazy world

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I just watched 16 b/w 35mm negatives, in packages of four, of various participants in the preparation hangar at RAF Henlow in 1967/8, poorly composed, not sharp and in an unlit hangar...go for a staggering £304 on a well known internet auction site.

Time to revise my insurance cover. :)

Mark

Original post

Member for

17 years 5 months

At that price I would expect copyright to them as well.

Member for

19 years 3 months

My signed Peter Arnold photo must be worth thousands by now!

I did see a First Day of Issue BoB Anniversary (I think) envelope signed by the master up for auction on ebay recently. Cha-CHING!! Glad I didn't throw out my Barbie dolls...especially my limited edition "Spitfire Barbie".

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

Ah but Matt, what use is Spitfire Barbie without her hot pink, flower-roundelled Mk.XI with Ken noseart?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Now we know why the "making of" books are so expensive and difficult to come by. :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

K5054NZ, I threw away the pink Spitfire, sad to say, because of my disgust with this Mk. XI having a 2,035 hp Griffon 65 engine! Can't these toy manufacturers get it right??

I remember a video announcing the Spitfire Barbie-with-hot pink aircraft release...too much CGI. She was flying over the Dunkirk beaches (in 1940 in, um, her Mk. XI), and there were literally THOUSANDS of evacuees below (unlike in the recent movie, which depicts precise history: 143 evacuees on the beach). Christopher Nolan would have been appalled.

Member for

17 years 5 months

My signed Peter Arnold photo must be worth thousands by now!

Is that the limited edition version?

Member for

19 years 3 months

Let me revise what I wrote.

My thousands of signed Peter Arnold photos must be worth pennies now.

Member for

19 years 3 months

TonyT,

Just to set the record straight, I don't own any editions, limited or otherwise, of the "Spitfire Peter Arnold" doll...which, upon release, included a hot pink, flower-roundelled Mk. XI Spitfire, complete with Moggy (not Ken) nose art. When I say nose art, I mean nose art, as in schnozz.

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

I had my eye on that one Matt, was sniped on eBay by someone from Newport Pagnell. Very disappointing. Was mint in the teak case also.

Mark12, I'm amazed at the price those negatives went for!! Have you ever seen something like this before, photographs or negatives going for such a high price?

Member for

19 years 3 months

Newport Pagnell -- it's blueblood territory, where some country squires can afford to keep Spitfires in their garages.

Member for

19 years

These crazy prices are down to an article being published in Britain at War by some bloke writing about collecting B of B film memorabilia and how much money there was in it... :rolleyes:

Member for

11 years 1 month

I've still got my programme from attending the film's première........

Member for

18 years 3 months

Is this entire thread written in code?

Member for

18 years 1 month

Roobarb;

Any idea which issue that article was in about Battle of Britain memorabilia collecting and who wrote it?

Best regards;
Steve

Member for

17 years 5 months

I don't know, but I better write one and get it published on modern classic aircraft, I have tons of scrap... sorry.... crap laying about and could be sitting on a small fortune post publication.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Mark12, I'm amazed at the price those negatives went for!! Have you ever seen something like this before, photographs or negatives going for such a high price?

For something really special and of superb quality or colour...maybe, but not for mediocre material such as this.

Two people, and it takes two people, really wanted these negatives.

For me, I photographed all the Spitfires at RAF Henlow building up to the BoB in film in 1967/8...in some cases using a tripod in the hangars with no lighting.

I also managed to include the spinner and show the serial on most of my shots. :)

Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

My promo poster of a Casa/Heinkel cost me £2 a few years ago :)

Member for

16 years 2 months

I paid £860 for this on ebay - was I done?

Attachments

Member for

20 years 4 months

That depends... is the interior made from solid gold?