Help Required Identifying this Early Aircraft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Required Identifying this Early Aircraft

Hi there, I recently acquired a large collection of photographs from the golden age of flight, c1920-1940. I've been having fun identifying the planes but there are some I'm having trouble with. Any help is appreciated!
    Attached Files

An Aeronca C.2 , I think a Fairchild KR.34 and a Curtiss CW. 22B

John
    Last edited by John Aeroclub; 10th October 2017, 23:06.

Comment

Excellent! Thank you, John!

Comment

Any help identifying these three is also appreciated.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gypsum; 11th October 2017, 00:47.

Comment

I reckon photo 2 is the Curtiss-Wright AT-9 Jeep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C..._Jeep_USAF.jpg

Not that I'd ever heard of it, but the shape of the fin and rudder looked familiar.
          Last edited by dhfan; 11th October 2017, 00:02.

Comment

Looks like a match to me! Thanks for the help!

Comment

Nr 1 of the lower photos is a Bell XFM-1 Airacuda. 1937-1940 Twin engine pusher. An attempt by Bell to build a bomber destroyer aircraft!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Comment

3rd one is Curtiss A-1/O-3 Falcon

Chris

Comment

Kermit Weeks has a CW.22, and according to Wiki the RAF flew some ex-Burmese examples.
                    The AT-9 was a multi-engined trainer, very few survive, one is in the USAF museum. Unlike many wartime types, it never had a civil career, two seats and two thirsty engines with no practical civil application.
                    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

Curtiss-Wright AT-9 Jeep
                      LINK - http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.co...opic.php?13451

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, it is much appreciated! I have three more unidentified planes here. Any ideas?
                        Attached Files

Comment

The first aircraft is an Aeronca LB. The Navy seems to have tested one, hence the military colours.

The next aircraft is well known, a Northrop Delta.

The final photo is of a Ford Tri-Motor. Without a better view or "N number" I can't tell whether it's a 4-AT or a 5-AT.
                          Last edited by J Boyle; 11th October 2017, 18:40.
                          There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for your help!

Comment

I feel like I've come across this particular plane before but am currently drawing a blank. Anyone know what it is? Thanks!
                              Attached Files

Comment

It's a Boeing P12 - once you know that, it's easy to read the last character of the caption! Looks a trifle bent.

Adrian
                                "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

Ah, thanks Adrian! I figured out it was a Boeing, but of course I couldn't find the "IX".

Comment

Specifically, it's a P-12E.

The field listed is in the Canal Zone.
                                    Note the later radio antenna.
                                    Also, noted the Navy-style (F4B-3/4) headrest, which holds a life raft, something that would have been added for use in Panama.
                                    In fact, in period they were called the "Panama headrest".

Comment

Thanks for the info J Boyle, much appreciated! I have three more I can't seem to identify. Anyone know what they are?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

The helicopter is a Sikorsky R-6, basically the R-4 engine and rotors in a more streamlined airframe.
                                        Anywhere produced under license by Nash Kelvinator, a division of the Nash automobile company better known for making innovative refrigerators.
                                        About 200 were produced, many going to the UK as Hoverfly IIs (the R-4 was the Hoverfly I).

Can you provide more contrast in the first photo?
                                        I have a hunch what it might be, but really need a better photo.
                                        I've seen the other aircraft, clearly a racing ship, but can't put my finger on a name.
                                        Last edited by J Boyle; 15th October 2017, 05:33.

Comment

Working...
                                        X