Spitfire T9 PT462 moves to Duxford

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

As can be seen on the ARC Facebook page Spitfire T9 PT462/G-CTIX has been sold to The Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford.

"There is a new T.9 Spitfire joining the ARCo fleet!
We are very happy to announce that we have completed the purchase of two-seat Spitfire PT462. She will be based at our home, Duxford Airfield, with the rest of the fleet and we are very excited to welcome her into the team!"

Whilst I am sure there will be speculation as to new colours or the loss of its current scheme, that is ultimately for the new owner to decide what he wishes to do. Putting that to one side, however, as a bit of fun, what colours would would the forum members think appropriate?

How about the "original" Chrysler colours adopted by Charles Church... :rolleyes:

Original post

Member for

20 years

Would be good to see one of the “Grace pattern” two seaters painted as a VVS Spitfire IX UTI, as after all this is the most original scheme for a two seat Spitfire fitted with two standard hoods with a clear tunnel between the two. OK the position of the cockpits might differ slightly but only the experts would know......

Member for

24 years 3 months

My choice.

A single overall colour, white, black, light grey or light blue combined with full RAF livery national markings and stencils.

The RAF operated such schemes post WWII, mostly the personal mounts of high ranking officers.

Mark

Member for

18 years

Irish Air Corps please.

Member for

20 years 8 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256216[/ATTACH]

;)

Attachments

Member for

14 years 4 months

A civil scheme, for a change! G-AIDN wore some super schemes, but I was thinking actually of the air racing scheme worn by AB910 in the 1950s...

Member for

13 years 11 months

What about the paint scheme below? It would be a totally different, irregular one. One that would certainly stand out and is outstanding as well. (Though you must not change the Merlin for a DB 605, Buchons get away with it as well.) Just joking, I do not believe any owner would go for it, but who knows? Maybe someone has a weird sense of humour.......
Michael

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256221[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

I'll go with jeepman's suggestion!

T J

Member for

24 years 3 months

A Soviet scheme gets my vote too, it would certainly be something "different" and very fitting for the configuration.

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 10 months

For what it's worth (the seconds it takes to read this message, I imagine!) I vote for the Spitfire UTI scheme too. Different but important.

Member for

11 years 3 months

I also vote for the Soviet UTI scheme!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Soviet scheme please. Or, Mark’s suggestion with a grumpy senior pilot dressed in matching overalls.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Win, win all round paint it with water soluble paint in Soviet scheme over an RAF scheme for a short period.

Member for

8 years 10 months

High gloss camouflage with a dragon above the fin flash. Oh, hang on...

Member for

20 years 1 month

Assuming it's going to be used in the "Fly in a Spitfire" programme, I don't think it will end up in a Soviet, German, Irish or civil scheme. I would guess the participants would want to be photographed in an RAF painted machine.

Member for

20 years 1 month

ARCo house colours would be nice. :-)

Member for

17 years 11 months

Love it as it is but anything ArCo does to the Spitfire will be great for sure I cannot see it being something out the box as it needs to fit in for general work, any specials can just over the top as they do with the rest of the collection as is the case for the Buchon

Member for

24 years 3 months

silver with yellow training bands

Member for

20 years 5 months

Gloss black Israeli though i loved Charles Church's colours.

Member for

18 years 7 months

One of its in service sechemes would be nice...RAF, Italian or Israeli to choose from I believe?