Enquiry about the TFC Beaufighter.

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user Southern Air99

Member for

8 years 11 months

I was wondering if anyone on here with an involvement with The Fighter Collection could tell me what the state of the Beaufighter's cockpit/interior is, and whether it would be accessible at all for filming?
Failing that the Blenheim cockpit might do, but is quite factually incorrect for the purpose, and I would rather not use artistic licence.

In the possible event of neither being available, are there any other cockpits about that could masquerade as a Beaufighter's?

Regards

Chris

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

There is a forward fuselage of a Mk.II at RAF Museum Hendon, it's largely intact although it has various clear panels cut into the skin.

Member for

8 years 11 months

I thought of that, but I doubt they'd let any filming take place in it, especially with the asbestos present etc.
I don't think the RAF Museum allows filming in any of their planes?
I tried to film with their Heinkel 111 once and was flatly refused permission.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is there still a Beaufighter stored at East Fortune?

Member for

8 years 11 months

I'm not sure about either.
The East Fortune one looks in a rather disassembled state from the pictures there are.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Cockpit gutted but interior view of the fuselage?

Member for

8 years 11 months

The Midland one looks good, very well restored. But the downside of that is, they probably wouldn't want people going in it, I note it has a big perspex/glass sheet in front of it in the picture on the website.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Why not ask TFC? Simplest way surely?

Member for

8 years 11 months

I emailed them a while back, but got nothing back. I thought asking a volunteer here might be more direct.
Besides, I thought asking on here might provide other options if the TFC one was off limits.

What happened to Tim Moore's Beau is he still rebuilding her?

Member for

9 years 7 months

The EF Beaufighter has been out of the public eye for a couple of years following the re-jig there. I hope they get it restored as the type is pertinent to the airfield. For several years it basically lay as a 'field' of parts in their restoration hangar in a very rough condition, so I wouldn't hold your breath!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Tim Moore’s example was put up for sale some years back and SFAIK went to Australia.

The EF example was a great prospect but in depth work on it seems to have been shelved since the curatorial changes and the focus on Concorde as the main attraction etc.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I believe there is a Beaufighter cockpit at the Wings Museum at Balcombe in West Sussex, although I haven't seen it myself, or seen any photos of it. The RAF Museum Beaufighter fuselage is now on loan to Aerospace Bristol at Filton.

Andrew

Member for

18 years

EF Beau about three years ago;

Attachments

Member for

17 years 1 month

I think it's probably safe to say that if you have written to them and they've not answered you, it's probably safe to say you have your answer as to if they are willing to let you film there.

FB

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've never had any great problem using TFC's aircraft for photography. Finding the money was always the issue, clients don't think that historic aircraft have any value. "We'll credit them in the catalogue, that should be enough"

Jane Larcombe was very helpful when we did a fashion shoot there, though this must have been about ten years back..

Moggy

Member for

8 years 11 months

Fournier Boy - perhaps, but an answer out of courtesy, even to say ‘sorry you can’t film in it’ would be nice.
Moggy - yes money is an issue, as a student I don’t earn much so maybe that’s the issue.
Same reason I am having issue obtaining stock/archive footage!

The Moorabbin Beaufighter looks well cared for, but it’s too far away unfortunately. Thanks anyhow

Member for

13 years 8 months

Have you tried giving them a call? Might be the best way to get in touch. I've always found them to be very helpful guys (and girls!)