Spitfire Photograph Question

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

6 years 7 months

Hi,

i was wondering if anyone knew the serial number of this aircraft? ive only just now found the squadron/airfield/date of the photo, but not the exact serial no. of this aircraft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256213[/ATTACH]

its a rather iconic photo of the RAF during the d-day landings so im surprised i cant find info on the serial number

any help would be appreciated

thanks,

olly

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

Is this a 411 Sqn aircraft?. If so they had IXb's in June 44 I believe. On a slightly wider version of the picture it shows a vertical line as part of the serial number. I thought this might be a 1 at the end of the serial, but now think the white painted strip may be covering part of the serial? Could the vertical line be part of a H, as in the MH range. 411 Sqn did have several spitfire's in that serial range on hand in June 44.

Member for

19 years 3 months

ive only just now found the squadron/airfield/date of the photo, but not the exact serial no. of this aircraft.

And what might be your take on the squadron/airfield/date of the photo, olly_s?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have note of three Spitfires coded DB-R at this period.

Please date your image.

Mark

Member for

17 years 6 months

I'd say, from the way they are painting those invasion-stripes, the date is June 5th 1944!

Unless this is a replacement aircraft later than that; but then I'd expect a slightly better paint job.

Member for

19 years 2 months

The inboard stripe does not look quite so 'fresh' so it could be a quick repaint/refresh job,although some of the 'messy appearance' is caused by the 'Lead' (tetra ethyl lead) deposits from the engine exhausts.

Member for

18 years 6 months

In the link you can see the slightly wider picture with part of the serial visible. Looking again, there doesn't seem to be a corresponding other half of a H for the visible part. Could it be a J, with the numbers overpainted by the stripe. Mark - are any of the 3 aircraft you have recorded in the MJ serial number range?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Twenty seconds of Googling brought up this caption

A scene recorded on June 5th, 1944 in Tangmere, Sussex. Preparing Spitfires for D-Day, 411 Squadron RCAF ground crew members apply invasion stripes to Spitfire Mk. IXe, DB-R, serial no. RR 201. This aircraft was flown by F/L Jack J. Boyle.

Sixth image down: http://spitfiresite.com/tag/spitfire-mk-ix/page/10

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

RR201 was not in service in June 44.

Yes, but apart from that minor detail ...

Back to the drawing board :D

Moggy

Member for

17 years 6 months

A couple of thoughts; it would be much easier to make a mistake with the serial number than with the date, especially give it was that date in particular (and given the particular activity being photographed) so is there a similar aircraft with an easily confused serial number that was in service on 5th June 1944?

Also, given the levels of secrecy around D-Day, was this an activity that was likely to be photographed (by outside agencies)?

Lastly, if few (any?) genuine 'invasion stripe' painting session photographs exist, wouldn't there be a great temptation to photograph a (far less secret) later painting session and then pass it off as the real event (in which case the serial could be correct)?

Member for

24 years 3 months

serial no. RR 201.

Doubtful.

RR201 did not come in to service until November 1944

The image appears to show the top of a down stroke of an 'M' or a '4'.

MJ754 was DB-R.

MK834 was DB-R

PT792 was DB-R

Mark

Member for

6 years 7 months

Date is June 5th 1944 at Tangemere.

Plane is Spit ix DB-R

sorry i made any confusion

Member for

19 years 6 months

Came across this better quality version of the photo on ‘WarThunder’. Did a crop on what serial we can see as well

As there is a letter/number to the left of the ‘4’ or ‘M’ I would imagine it is a ‘4’. Looks like a straight edge so more likely MJ754 if Peter’s three serials are what we have to choose from

or is it an ‘M’ and the rest of the serial is covered by the invasion stripe??

Chris

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256223[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256222[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

14 years 1 month

I would say its a 'M' you can see the break of the stencil between the last vertical stroke of the M & the bit of the V, then there is just the top of the first stroke of the M peeping above the tailplane.
Keith

Member for

24 years 3 months

According to these two books (links below), MK834 was destroyed on May 19th, 1944, when flak hit the bomb it was carrying during an attack on a Railway Station at Hazebrouck, France.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=uvxyCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA214&lpg=PA214&dq=Spitfire+IX+MK834&source=bl&ots=Y1uh6lrEWZ&sig=DHh43AMlx9oxZ5OMHxI0TvsgqaA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFwsal5ebWAhXH1hoKHSbmACoQ6AEISzAG#v=onepage&q=Spitfire%20IX%20MK834&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=66V2BQAAQBAJ&pg=PA267&lpg=PA267&dq=Spitfire+IX+MK834&source=bl&ots=P0S1Y9gJ6K&sig=2PCoSgDOsn0pqIa86zU0ZF30AH4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFwsal5ebWAhXH1hoKHSbmACoQ6AEIWjAJ#v=onepage&q=Spitfire%20IX%20MK834&f=false

It's pilot, Sqn Ldr Norman Fowlow was killed.

So, MJ754 perhaps?

Cheers

Paul

Member for

24 years 3 months

Unfortunately MJ754 arrived in Casablanca on 17 March 1944.

I believe it to be an M followed by a J covered by the Invasion Marking.

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

Unfortunately MJ754 arrived in Casablanca on 17 March 1944.

Yes Mark, I just checked myself, and indeed it did!

So still believed to be an MJ serial then?

Cheers

Paul

Member for

18 years 6 months

MJ754 - 33MU 10-1-44 222MU 5-2-44 Fort Liard 1-3-44 Casablanca 17-3-44 2SAAF Hit by flak and abandoned nr Veghereto 27-7-44 recat A 31-8-44

Not sure this fits either?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Looking at the June 44 ORB, it looks like MJ454, MJ468, MJ125, MJ237, MJ831, MJ985, MJ474, MJ229, MJ905 were all with 411 sqn at the beginning of June.