Flying K5054 Replica

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 5 months

After starting construction in 2010, my tribute to K5054 has now passed the permit to fly inspection and we are waiting for the permit to commence test flying.
Disclaimer: Based on the Australian Supermarine Spitfire MK25, this is a 75% all metal scale replica with retractable gear, so most of you can now stop reading, and please don't mention this to Caroline G. ?

However, the aircraft has been mostly scratch built and I hope I managed to avoid most of the ugliness of the replicas. The aircraft has been painted in Cerulean Blue, which, with the kind assistance from the great people running the Tangmere Museum, has been paint matched against the original prototype colour, as have the markings, some of which still need to be applied. With the airframe serial K5054, our Spitfire can carry the original markings on the rudder, however, the registration number on the fuselage is 19-6054, the closest I could get.

While there are obvious differences to the original like the three bladed prop (which you can't see when the engine is running) and a lot of other things, I do hope that when flying past at 500 feet, the Spitfire will be a fitting tribute to JR, and the Fighter. And no, it won't be at Legends, and if you don't like it stop reading, go in your workshop and build your own...

Test flying should commence here in Taree, Australia, in October in the capable hands of the new owner, Captain Neil Cooper of Virgin Blue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255811[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255812[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255813[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255814[/ATTACH]
Blue skies and happy landings!

Chris

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 1 month

Looks pretty good to me but then I'm biased as I fly a Victa Airtourer. Another good example of Ozzie engineering.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Very nice :) Have fun flying!

Member for

15 years 3 months

Looks great!!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Great stuff! I really like that.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Great job she's a looker !

Member for

14 years 8 months

Very nice indeed, and your comments made me chuckle.

Out of interest, what does the handle do with the massive R pin? ("Remove before flight")
I thought at first maybe a ballistic parachute, but then thought the machine would be too heavy for such an item.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Thanks! The R flag is indeed for a BRS system, it is a high speed unit for 325 km/h and 625kg. The emty weight is 370kg, 80 litres of fuel, 1000 km range at 130 knots cruise. Currently working on the radiators, which will be mock ups and fitted adter the initial flights, and serve as storage for long range trips...

Member for

14 years 6 months

Nice flaps!
Cheers
Cees

Member for

20 years 8 months

Do you mind if I post these photos to a Spitfire group on Facebook?

Member for

19 years 3 months

Rather nice

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great work, congratulations! Always happy landings! Those who criticize this kind of aircraft have little clue regarding the amount of work that goes into itö.

Member for

12 years

All the best for you with your homebuilt!! The most impressive part is still waiting for you. I made the maiden flight with my homebuilt aircraft 17 years ago. It is still a feeling like it was yesterday.

Member for

12 years 8 months

That is absolutely gorgeous, many congratulations both on your extraordinary craftsmanship and also on your healthy attitude to naysayers!

I would love to see that at Legends ;-)

Member for

14 years 11 months

Looks great! Hope you enjoy it every time you fly it.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Lovely looking aircraft.
I know nothing about building replica aircraft, but I wonder why it's 75% and not full size ?.
Was it a cost issue ?

Member for

19 years 5 months

More than likely an engine availability issue. A full size replica would undoubtedly require a Merlin, and they are expensive.

Member for

20 years 8 months

A full size replica would undoubtedly require a Merlin

Or an Allison....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255835[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

Having said that, there was also this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255836[/ATTACH]

....with a 400hp Jaguar.

And this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]255837[/ATTACH]

....with a 350hp Lycoming.

Attachments

Member for

11 years 5 months

Hi Daren,
Feel free to post the pictures on the Spitfire page! The 75% scale is due to engine choice, you really have to go big and powerfull for a full size, plus I got a set of jigged 75% outer wing panels, which were the core of the project, which kinda locked me into this size. Fuselage, wing and tailfeathers are proportional to the MK1, and had I built it larger with the wings I had the chord would have looked wrong. Additionally, as this is registered as a recreational experimental homebuilt (ahh, the freedom we have here in Australia :eagerness:), I had to stay under 600kg MTOW. Should I suffer another prolonged lapse of reason and want to punish myself, I might build a 90% Bf109, D or E model. Much easier, lots of straight bits like wings and elevators. Building the tailfeathers, wing tips and flaps for the Spitfire from scratch was a real challenge, there isn't a straight line or non tapering bit! But it has been fun and a priviledge to have the opportunity to see this turn from a pipe dream to a living and breathing aircraft :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Should I suffer another prolonged lapse of reason and want to punish myself, I might build a 90% Bf109, D or E model

I know of someone who is building a full-scale version....!