No announcement yet.

Friends of Duxford. The end is nigh.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So when does Treasury funding officially cease?

Comment

I'm not aware of it ceasing, but it's decreasing year on year.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent K
        I'm hoping that a new scheme brings along technologies such as on-line subscription, payment, booking etc. with it to address some of the difficulties mentioned on this thread.
        We always pay for our yearly pass online, except this year when it was due to expire the day after we were there.
        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent K View Post
          I'm not aware of it ceasing, but it's decreasing year on year.
          Ah! That's a bit different from a previous poster's assertion. And inevitable in the circumstances I suppose.

Comment

IWM would be foolish if they didn't look/plan for centralised governmental funding ceasing at some point in the future, given unpredictable economic conditions in the near future, I don't believe there is any hard and fast date for it to cease, but, as you say, inevitable to be decreasing year on year.

Comment

Probably as much to do with any measures to reduce spending money it doesn't have, as anything else.

You and I could think of worthier causes than the preservation of our culture and history for cutting. But this is not the place for politics.

Comment

Agree with you there wholeheartedly Paul.

Comment

There looks like there is going to be a "new" membership scheme http://www.iwm.org.uk/membership

Comment

They were pushing the new membership scheme big time at the September show

Comment

Waiting to see the finer details ,if it isn't better than i have now then not interested.

Comment

For me the decision to move from FoD to the Sally B Supporters has already been made.

Moggy
                        "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

A good idea Moggy ,i just hope that the supporters of Sally B will be left alone as well.

Comment

I don't see how it could effect the Sally B and other clubs at Duxford as they are not directly connected. The new club has 2 price levels - Prices start from just 35 for membership or access more with Premium membership from 55.

Comment

If the IWM own the site they would need to be negotiated with for the access prices for any Sally B members ,they could [i assume] just refuse reduced /free entry to the site.

Comment

New letter and prices arrived today ,strange nothing on the website yet.

Comment

New membership offer update

The countdown to the launch of our new IWM Membership scheme has begun!

Having registered for the launch promotion you will be one of the first people able to sign up to the new scheme. On Wednesday 30 November 2017 you will receive your promotional code email allowing you to purchase 12 months worth of membership for the price of 10 for the first year.

You can use the code as many times as you like, but it's only valid until 31 January 2018.

There will be two categories:
                                  IWM MEMBERSHIP
                                  A couple on HMS Belfast
                                  Free fast-track access to Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and IWM Duxford
                                  Members' e-news
                                  Membership offers
                                  IWM PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP
                                  An exclusive event at IWM North
                                  All the benefits of IWM Membership plus:
                                  Free access to paid exhibitions at IWM London and IWM North
                                  15% discount in IWM Shops and cafs at our branches
                                  Exclusive discounts and priority access to selected IWM events (including 20% discount on Duxford Air Show tickets)
                                  Premium Membership offers and events

Comment

So the next letter arrived and whilst trying to put a positive spin on it confirmed that people who still have six month's 'Friends' membership left will lose the benefits that were promised to us when we signed up, as from 30th November. Benefits we were interested in will be replaced with stuff like being able to visit HMS Belfast. Frankly I'd rather have my unexpired six month's subscription returned.

I checked just to make certain and got this back

Many thanks for getting in touch. That is correct, your current card and member status will continue to be active until it’s expiry date but the benefits will be aligned with the IWM Premium Membership as of the 30th November as part of the transition of the Friends of Duxford scheme. The new scheme benefits are designed to streamline a number of products and appeal to the widest number of audiences across our branches which has meant that some of the previous features which are not part of our core offer have been removed. The impetus for the evolution of our membership is to engage with more audiences and contribute towards our ongoing financial sustainability as a registered charity – keeping sites and collections such as those IWM Duxford conserved for future generations.

I hope this helps in part to explain the change, but I’d be more than happy to answer any further queries.
                                    So there you go - 'streamlined' benefits start in two weeks time.

Can't say I am best pleased.

Moggy
                                    Last edited by Moggy C; 16th November 2017, 15:28.
                                    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

Which benefits are you losing Moggy?

Comment

Mostly the discounted landing fee

Discount on food and goodies reduced by 5%

Not big money in the great scheme of things, just angry about the way they are forcing it on us.

Moggy

Comment

IWM Members had a 10% discount and FOD had 20% discount. Now it's going to be 15% across the board so former IWM Members get a better discount and FOD Members will now get a reduced discount.

Brian
                                          The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                                          DfG on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                          X