Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford Diary (2017)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DragonRapide
    Rank 5 Registered User

Stratosphere, the two engines were removed soon after 'SGC flew into Duxford in 1980; I understand it was a weight and balance issue!
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Comment

• Steve Bond
      Rank 5 Registered User

I was one of a team who came up from Brize Norton to nick bits off the engines for spares.

Comment

• Stratosphere
        Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks for replys, Good to know she helped the remaining Vc10s.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
          Rank 5 Registered User

Archer and Supermarine 305 - thanks for confirming re the coach!

Rob
          Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• DCW
            DCW
            David Whitworth

Duxford Friday 28th July:

Spitfire PV202 was active all day giving rides, but Buchon 'Black 8' stole the limelight with a check flight mid-afternoon:

P-51D Mustang 'Miss Velma' was being dismantled for transport this morning:

Shweizer 269C 'Otto' passed through on the way to Old Buckenham, where it will be part of this weekend's airshow (several of the Duxford 'fleet' will also be flying on Sunday ):

20,000 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/

Comment

• Duxman
              Rank 5 Registered User

A few more pictures from today at DX

OTTO by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

[G-CCCA by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

G-BPCF by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

PH-DTX by AJCDuxman, on F

Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/
              Last edited by Duxman; 28th July 2017, 19:21.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                Rank 5 Registered User

Well those photos answer two of today's questions for me - what was the crane for near the end of the T2 hangar, and what the hell was all that smoke about on the airfield

Rob
                Facebook page
                https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• WillL
                  Rank 4 Registered User

Any idea where Miss Velma is headed?

Comment

• Fournier Boy
                    Rank 5 Registered User

It's going Stateside to Steve Hinton

FB

Comment

• DCW
                      DCW
                      David Whitworth

I've had some questions regarding the P-51 situation at DX.
                      Both Berlin Express and Frenesi are still present, nothing has been made public about their future activities.
                      I notice the 4 fighters are all registered to different Companies.

Next door, these 4 are all registered to the same Company (Anglia Aircraft Restorations Ltd):

Comment

• DCW
                        DCW
                        David Whitworth

Duxford Saturday 29th July:

Harvard III G-BGOR (now based at North Weald) made a short visit this morning:

Comment

• Hooligan
                          Rank 4 Registered User

Blimey, I remember that Harvard and a few others arriving at Biggin Hill around 1979. Ex Portuguese AF I think? Ted White and Mark Campbell were behind the acquisition, sadly both died in a Harvard crash in Malta. Biggin was interesting in the late 70s, T-6s, several Ju-52s, three T-28s, Sally B and the A-26 seemed to spend time there. Just biz-jets and Spitfires these days...

Comment

• DCW
                            DCW
                            David Whitworth

Duxford Sunday 30th July:

Spitfire, Mustang and B-17G all made the short trip to Old Buckenham this afternoon:

Comment

• T J Johansen
                              Considerate hitman

Where has G-BGOR been based since the death of Martin Sargeant?

T J
                              "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

Comment

• DCW
                                DCW
                                David Whitworth

Duxford Tuesday 1st August:

The 'Dunkirk' Spitfires returned to their previous identities again today:

The Yoxford Boys:

Congratulations to Captain Painless on the first flight of his Europa:

Some of today's visitors:

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Has Berlin Express been fixed yet ?
                                  Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• Bob
                                    Bob
                                    Aerophile

First photo in DCW's post from 29/7 shows parts of the empennage missing so still being fixed?...
                                    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• The Bump
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

Just pondering on how lucky we are to have photographers posting up almost real time news of the Duxford daily activities.
                                      Whilst it's nice to see 'Miss Velma' being attended to I hope she isn't making a one way trip.

Comment

• Piston
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

Ah, The Bump, but what if Berlin Express or Frenesi stay here instead?!

Comment

• sopwith.7f1
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

Hi Tangmere

Sorry for the late reply to your post, but it took me a while to dig out the list of exactly what was acquired by Retro from India "this list of parts was supplied to me several years ago, by some one I know in India".

The list of parts with known/confirmed ID's-

5649- fuselage "poor condition & incomplete".
                                          5649- fin and rudder.
                                          8894- remains left over from rebuild of aircraft on display in India, consisting of- fabric from fuselage, fin and rudder, unusable woodwork from fuselage.

List of parts with no confirmed ID's-

Wing frames inc metal fittings "poor condition and incomplete" uncovered.
                                          Wing frames, wooden parts only "spars etc" no metal fittings "poor condition".
                                          Tailplane framework with metal fittings.
                                          Tailplane framework, spars etc only, "no metal fittings".
                                          Nose bowl.
                                          Various small items and rotten timber parts.

From what the person in India told me, the fuselage from 8894, along with a spare fin and rudder "these had no ID, but were in better condition than those from either 8894 or 5649", and various wing and tail components "no confirmed ID's" were used in the construction of the one that is still in India.

Given that the fuselage from 8894 has been incorporated into the one in India, and that the only really identifiable parts from 8894 that came to the UK, were the fin, rudder and fabric from the fuselage, it is my opinion that the airworthy aircraft is in-fact a repro, with a very small number of original DH9 components sourced from various locations.

I will let the members of this forum draw their own conclusions as to whether the aircraft being touted as an original, is in-fact a repro/fake, or an original airframe.

If you are saying that two semi complete fuselages were brought back to the UK from India, rather than one, then what was the ID of this 3rd "mystery/unrecorded" fuselage ???.

Bob T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X