Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duxford Diary (2017)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and just how do you warrant the statement the wheels were ripped off just wondering
    If flying was difficult the engineers would do it

Comment

Indeed, looks like the tail wheel is still stowed so..........

Comment

Look again, and you can see the tail wheel doors are deployed.

Comment

Like Legends 2011 again, the audience clapping, the curtain coming down (metaphorically) and then 'it' happens, though this time the Mustang is in one piece, and not a shattered heap.

It was a very chilling sight to see the P.51 descending fast behind the ARC hangar, parallel to the motorway. The flighter had dropped out of its flight of three on downwind leg, and angled in for a immediate landing, gear down. On an angled base leg, the rate of descent was too high, with still another 90 degree turn needed to line up and you could see the instant decision to bin the airfield, break to the right instead, and drop into the field the other side of the M11.

It was a life- saving move made with a cool head, and a infact you might say Duxford ( and the UK air show scene) dodged a bullet today, as a less experienced pilot would have tried to pull hard round the turn, almost certainly have spun in, very likely onto the M11, which was packed with stationary traffic heading south. It may sound overly dramatic , but that is the reality.

Experience and currency saved the day, thank God.
          Last edited by Propstrike; 9th July 2017, 22:24.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Several images here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ate-taken-desc

Comment

From those pictures it look as if he didn't have quite enough time to get the wheels down.
                The starboard wing looks a bit second hand too. Still, they have the people to fix them.
                Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

A startling set of photos that show the damage appears worse than I imagined, check out the starboard wing.

Comment

From those pictures it look as if he didn't have quite enough time to get the wheels down.
                    Other way around, they were already down as he was on short finals, he clearly was trying to cycle the gear up at the last minute in time for the forced landing.....
                    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Comment

looking at those pics it almost looks like he's trying to get the gear back up just before he lands in the field...the right lag facing seems to be unlocked
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/tink_n...-hX2wzv-hX2wU8

Comment

More from Friday

Last edited by ~Alan~; 9th July 2017, 22:51.
                        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

It looks like the pilot had put the gear down for his attempt at the runway, maybe not fully locked down by the time he realized he would end up in the field, so selected gear up, as the gear looks less down than the pic. moments before

As several posts have now already mentioned !
                          Last edited by Flat 12x2; 9th July 2017, 22:50. Reason: Watching TV at the same time as typing & being beat to the post !
                          Wide open & turning left

Comment

Sorry Propstrike, but your speculation of what could have happened with the M11 is unfounded and worthy of a tabloid. What ifs are fine but no help. We don't need overdramatism and you cannot say that is the reality.

What I take away is that the system worked. The pilot had somewhere to put it down, which he did. Ifs and buts have no value.
                            Tony Dyer
                            https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

Great airmanship indeed.
                              In the last one, it looks as if he's on the phone to his insurance company

Comment

Were you there ?

It is very 'founded' . We should be thankful that this was a positive outcome, as it could have been very different.

I utterly reject your tabloid association.

Comment

As Propstrike said, if he'd carried on towards the airfield it could have been horrific, but the pilot knew this too and put it down in the field, and at the rate that was sinking I'd say he did bloody well, believe the pilot called in with engine failure

Comment

Looks like he landed off pretty much a base leg parallel with the M11? Judging by comparisons between the photos and google maps.

Comment

I caught the radio call from the pilot of Miss Velma on the display frequency.

I'm sure someone will post a video on of the incident with the radio calls on it, but I seem to recall the pilot started with "Mustang Three - I'm Bailing Out" which at first I took literally, but it became obvious he meant the formation.

A few seconds later, he responded with "Mustang Three - Engine Failure".

I couldn't see which Mustang it was or it's position, but a few seconds later, it appeared, heading roughly towards crowd center (I was in the TFC Friends tent in front of the American Air Museum), with the engine very quiet.

The pilot then elected to join the left hand downwind leg (keeping in quite tight), and during the tight turn for final, started to put the gear down.

It looked at this point if it would depart if the turn continued (a rather heart stopping moment I must say), so it was a relief to see the pilot able to turn away from the airfield, and head for one of the fields at the eastern end of the M11.

Of, course, another heart stopping moment ensued, as Miss Velma disappeared out of sight behind the HFL/ARC hangars!

Thankfully, there was no explosion or fire visible, and it was a relief to hear a few minutes later over the radio (and finally the PA system), that the pilot was out of the aircraft, and on his own two feet!

Not the ending anyone would hope for, but very glad that no one was killed or injured.

Despite this incident, it was a fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable day as usual!

Cheers

Paul
                                      Last edited by Bradburger; 9th July 2017, 23:20.
                                      The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Comment

I hope someone is standing guard over her tonight .

Comment

Propstrike, you can utterly reject what you like. I just found the tone of you post with its over dramatic speculation unhelpful. That is just the sort of things that set the tabloids going into a frenzy and lead to even more knee jerk safety changes. Lots of people read this forum and your post could quite conceivably be quoted in a tabloid.

The facts are that you can always say people dodged bullets, we all do it everyday just by surviving driving to work etc. They don't let just anyone fly these things. All the people and test teams I have flown with over the last 30 years risk assess and brief actions in emergencies. Anyone flying a single engine aircraft, especially a warbird, is always aware of that defined lack of redundancy, I.e single engine.

All I am saying, is now is not the time for scaremongering. Eventualities were planned for, training kicked in, pilot safe, people on ground safe, aircraft damage limited. Well done pilot, well done for having an alternate FL area.
                                          Tony Dyer
                                          https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

Working...
                                          X