Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent today at Duxford not much happening in the air or outside no doubt due to the weather and poor visibility, but slightly of topic i listened to a talk of Sir Douglas Bader.

I thoroughly enjoyed the information given given in no 4 Battle of Britain Hanger at 2pm, it was given by a very knowledgeable Yorkshire man who put Douglas across extremely well making his story humorous and sad at the same time.

Sir Douglas was certainly a true Gentleman, heroic and arrogant at the same time, but was total respected by all and rightly so. i came away with total respect but that word just dosnt seem big enough..

Totally recommend this talk given by the Museum and a big pat on the back must go the the volunteer who gave it..

The photo below shows Douglas"s original dress tunic.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attac...1&d=1483810861
    Attached Files

Comment

Saturday ~ 07Jan17

Had intended spending Saturday in London but by the time I got to Cambridge rail station the weather, mist and mizzle, had descended and a check on my weather app showed the same for London so I went to Duxford instead. Took the opportunity to wander around the hangars getting in some hand held/manual focus/very low shutter speed practice so a few photos of some aircraft not normally covered on my Bimbles around Duxford. Despite the naff weather, a lot of visitors visiting and the mist and mizzle did lift by mid afternoon. In the order taken and all at 1/2 second with apertures and ISO adjusted for that speed.

Sony a6300 CSC + Sony E10-18mm f4 OSS Lens

Brian
      The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
      DfG on Facebook

Comment

I forgot about that Zero centre section, too!
        Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

The nearby German midget submarine also has an interesting history.
          Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Looks a bit bare in Hangar 3.... No Stickleback, No Jesse Lumb - has the big Motor Torpedo Boat gone as well, or just moved?
            Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Comment

All three have gone, HMS Stickleback has gone to a submarine museum in Scotland and the Jesse Lumb has gone back to the owners (RNLI?) and the MTB was also privately owned I think.

Apparently they did not fit into the aviation nature of the museum and to make way for other exhibits was what I was told.

Curlyboy
              Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Comment

Originally posted by DazDaMan View Post
                I forgot about that Zero centre section, too!
                I would like to know a bit more about the history of this section

Click image for larger version

Name:	f3673ccc676755eff2b3b429f6fe9bf5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	3672444

Comment

Mitsubishi Zero A6M5 cockpit

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/70000203

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                  DfG on Facebook

Comment

It was our first trip of 2017 to Duxford today - it was pretty busy considering it was a winter Sunday afternoon.

First stop was the conservation area of Airspace to see how the Britania was getting on - we were skulking by on outside door when one of the DAS chaps who were repainting the aircraft very kindly beckoned us in to take a closer look. It's incredible what the volunteers have achieved in such a short time, and a real pleasure to have a chat with someone so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what he's doing. I took a few snaps of the aircraft while we were chatting. The Monarch lettering on the fuselage is a decal, applied after painting, whereas the logo on the tail fin is due to be hand painted once the yellow top coat is finished. Apparently even though it's been outside since 1971, the outer skin of the aircraft is very well preserved, due to good corrosion proofing during the manufacturing process. The painting team this time round have concentrated on applying extra paint to the parts where water gathers to help preserve the skin for the future.

IMG_6057 by sboreeves, on Flickr

IMG_6063 by sboreeves, on Flickr

IMG_6068 by sboreeves, on Flickr

Elsewhere, work on the Victor was progressing apace, the conservation area was as busy as I've ever seen it:

IMG_6102 by sboreeves, on Flickr

In the past I've joked about how the IWM have neglected XH648 but I'm very happy to eat my words and admire the efforts that are being made. It'll be very interesting to see this restoration progress over the next couple of years.
                    Last edited by SimonR; 9th January 2017, 01:16.
                    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

Comment

Great pictures and anyone who wants to contribute to the HP Victor conservation can at:

https://www.justgiving.com/campaigns/charity/iwm/victor

Hopefully she will look as good as the Bristol Britannia....
                      ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Comment

Duxford - Tuesday 10th January. What must already rate as one of the busiest starts to a year for warbird action at Duxford, a couple of pictures below of 2 aircraft getting wound up for todays action !

This included the first flight of TFC's P.40F since the latter part of 2015

More pics to follow.

G-CGZP by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

N14113 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Comment

Nice
                          Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Nice shots! Great to see the P-40F back up!

Comment

Tuesday 10th January

Don't normally carry a long lens with me during the winter months as it's very quiet, war bird flying wise, at Duxford until about the start of the air show season. If the last two weeks are anything to go by I think I should start packing one sooner rather than later. The Fighter Collection P-40F went for its first flight since the end of 2015 with a spot of aerobatics over the airfield after its handling flight and the T-28 went up for a short flight . The Classic Wings Harvard 'Wacky Wabbit' returned after its winter break. There were also reports that some Brass Monkeys were seen heading south for some warmer weather. In the order taken.

Sony a6300 CSC + Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 Di-III VC Lens.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                              DfG on Facebook

Comment

If the P-40F is taking off in the photos above, what an enormous flap deflection!

Great pics as always, many thanks to the "correspondents"!
                                The Largest German-Language Aviation Forum on the Internet

Comment

A few extra pictures from today.

C-CGZP by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

C-CGZP by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

G-BJST by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

G-BJSTb by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Comment

Evening all, I made a trip up to Duxford today. The repaint of the Britannia was progressing:

IWM Duxford - 14/01/2017 by Matthew Nightingale, on Flickr

I noticed that Spitfire N3200 has lost its IWM Duxford 'branding'

IWM Duxford - 14/01/2017 by Matthew Nightingale, on Flickr

The rest of the album is here, for those interested https://www.flickr.com/photos/spinne...57675483280563
                                    www.flickr.com/photos/spinner673

Comment

My Duxford visits are rare at the moment, but I did manage a quick look yesterday. I notice the Blenheim I has its 'new' intakes fitted. This upgrade (for those who are not Blenheim Society members) has been planned for a while and meant the construction of two British type intakes to replace the Canadian built examples. The second pic (from last September) shows the build process, from an original damaged part on the right used to construct a wooden shape used to form the new part:

20,000 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitworth/

Comment

Duxford 17/1/17

One of Duxfords long time residents T.28 N14113 was airborne lunchtime today, possibly doing its last practice display at Duxford.. It departed mid afternoon initially for Jersey and thence onwards apparently to new owners in Europe.

colourful visitor was an Air Corviglia PC-12 HB-FVD

HB-FVD PC-12 Air Corviglia by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Comment

Nice shots, shame we've lost the T-28!

Comment

Working...
                                          X