Just Jane Restoration Work Begins

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 6 months

As we closed the hangar doors for the last time this year we knew it would mark the last time NX611 'Just Jane' would be out in the sunshine in her current paint. Work begins tomorrow (Thursday 3rd) on her long winter restoration schedule taking her all the way to May 2017 and a brighter future.

This winters major restoration works can be discovered here-
http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/avro-lancaster-nx611-winter-201617--huge-news.htm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]249470[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years

Great news. I'm sure everyone here wishes you well.

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hear hear. All the best for a smooth and successful process.

Goodnight, Jane, see you after your makeover!

Member for

14 years 6 months

Good to read that the work is starting today. It would be great to see the airframe getting the TLC it needs to get back into the air.

As it's a private project being undertaken in the UK on such a scale, it would be nice if such a major operation could be done to YAM's Halifax.
Checking the conditon of the airframe and at the same time correcting the shortcuts (that had been made understandably at the time) and fitting the cockpit of PN323 (ahum) so that a fully prizeworthy airframe evolves. Not bashing "Friday the Thirteenth" mind you.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Great news, the beginning of the end for a ground based aeroplane to get airborne once again
Good luck all.

So how much more runway will be needed, I looked at the airfield from Google maps and at the moment there does not look like much room to operate a Lancaster

Member for

13 years 6 months

I think a dream of mine would be to see an airworthy Just Jane land at Elvington, taxi in and park next to Sally B and Friday the 13th (rebuilt with the forward fuselage of PN323). Three aircraft representing what can be done by groups of determined individuals.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Forgive me for asking as I know it's an old chestnut, but I can't for the life of me remember the answer- what's the state of play with the wing spars on this aircraft, and wouldn't it need an even bigger dismantling and inspection than what's been announced, if it's heading towards airworthy certification?

Member for

19 years 1 month

it would be nice if such a major operation could be done to YAM's Halifax.

Unpossible Cees 'Friday' is not a Halifax (as I am sure you know : ))

Member for

24 years 2 months

Unpossible Cees 'Friday' is not a Halifax (as I am sure you know : ))

Ouch! - A bit below the belt for all the hard working volunteers and vets who think the World of this aircraft.

As we all know it is more Halifax than any of the new build spits etc.

In a World full of Spit and Lanc obsessed folk Friday is the best us Haliphiles in the UK can get. It means so much to the vets

I know you meant it as a joke but LAY OFF the jibes, it is wearing a bit thin now; thousands of aircrew died flying the Halifax, Stirling etc... They have little enough recognition for their sacrifice as it is.

Lets get a few real Hali's put back together then!

Good luck to Just Janes crew..... It's worth a vist on engine run days just to stand in the hanger after a run and the smell the four cooling Merlins.

Sorry I took the bait but I am a bit tired of the YAMs Halifax being a replica thing.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Agreed - time to move on.

Member for

19 years 1 month

I know you meant it as a joke but LAY OFF the jibes, it is wearing a bit thin now; thousands of aircrew died flying the Halifax, Stirling etc... They have little enough recognition for their sacrifice as it is.

Sorry I took the bait but I am a bit tired of the YAMs Halifax being a replica thing.

Paul - As I am sure you well know - I meant no disrespect to anybody !

I saw 'Friday' many years ago before she was completed and then returned last year for the first time to see the complete aircraft,she is a lovely memorial to those that operated Halis and I can assure you I am not a 'Hali Basher'

Sorry if I caused a blood pressure blip - I was only teasing Cees :D

Member for

13 years 6 months

I think the YAM Halifax debate deserves it's own thread...

Good luck to the Just Jane team.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry if I caused a blood pressure blip - I was only teasing Cees :D

Yes things are calm now... I've taken the medication.

The big difference for Jane and Friday to me has always been the live Merlins and the smell of the hanger. Jane is definitely a living beast... Perhaps YAM will improve when "Val" gets her Merlins running and if they fire up the DC3 a bit more.

I've been acouple of times to watch Jane and hats off to the crew who keep her live.

Member for

19 years 1 month

I've been a couple of times to watch Jane and hats off to the crew who keep her live.

Absolutely agree Paul - EK is a magic place.

We have had coffee and cake outside the Tower at both Elvington and EK :D

Member for

14 years 6 months

Indeed (where is that "like" button Bazv:D).
My point is (and was) is dat this is an amazing project in the UK with a private organisation being able to restore a complex four-engined
aircraft to flight. It would be great if other projects can benefit from the experience. Although Jane has been well cared for (and
I enjoyed the three dvd's on her) the time spent outside must have left some scars yet to be uncovered. I am very much
eager to see what's under the paintwork.

......a dream of mine would be to see......Just Jane........Sally B and Friday the 13th.......

Some years ago, at one of the Elvington Model Shows, they had the BBMF Lancaster parked up with Sally B and Friday the 13th. Unfortunately I never got any photos for some reason ( this was back in the days of film, possibly mid 1990's ).

I'd quite fancy a photoshoot with the Halifax in the centre and a Lanc on each side! Perhaps one day it will happen.

Member for

18 years 4 months

The meeting of the bomber trio was on 30 August 1998 and according to the only ref on line was only for 1 hour, and I can only find one pic on line which has just the wheel from the Halifax showing in front of the other two. I wonder if any other pics will turn up?

Member for

15 years 6 months

Today has gone well for JJ, we have removed rear turret, mid-upper cupola, aileron, rudders, cowlings, radome, DA's and the elevators are just about ready to come off tomorrow morning. Then it's on to wing tips and front turret tomorrow along with fillet panels. All go at EK!

Member for

17 years 7 months

Forgive me for asking as I know it's an old chestnut, but I can't for the life of me remember the answer- what's the state of play with the wing spars on this aircraft, and wouldn't it need an even bigger dismantling and inspection than what's been announced, if it's heading towards airworthy certification?

I am interested in the same question as well

Member for

15 years 6 months

The spars have flown 2424 hours. They have passed the NDT so far and will be subject to more visual inspection and NDT this winter as we remove the number 1 fuel tanks.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I asked the same thing as I was told they were rotten from being outside for so long. The reply i got was that they had barely flown half the life hours & had passed NDT testing. They just needed a visual inspection which will be done over the winter but they should be good to go.