Whistling Mustang

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Over the course of years at various airshows one thing we had noticed which always used to make the tail chases by varoius P51's the more exciting as if the flying was not enough was the noise made by one of them? i beleave it used to be the one which belonged to TFC (Candyman/Moose) or now resides with OFMC Breitling fighters.
The said Mustang always used to make a Whistling noise or whining noise in a dive but none of the others made the same noise! anybody no why? as this was always a great part of the display and it was always a favourite with our kids!Surely if they made this noise during the war the Germans would run for cover before the P51 even attacked them on the ground..

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Whistling Mustang

Hello,

The noise you hear is when the air go through the opening of the weapons.

Blue Sky,

Benjamin.

You can ask your question at: http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/

Member for

24 years 3 months

I believe the whistling noise actaully comes from the airscoop auxiliary outlet door behind the main scoop. This is arrived at by forcing air through a shaped hole, making it resonate, ie. blowing a whistle, which is the same thing.

coanda

Member for

24 years 3 months

>I believe the whistling noise actaully comes from the
>airscoop auxiliary outlet door behind the main scoop. This
>is arrived at by forcing air through a shaped hole, making
>it resonate, ie. blowing a whistle, which is the same thing.
>
>coanda
Thanx for the replies so soon! So could someone then tell us why that we seem to have only heard the whistling on the TFC/OFMC P51

Member for

24 years 3 months

believe you would hear it from any mustang, it could just be the way that that particular aircraft is put together, it is a small tolerance inbetween the oscillation needed for producing a sound, i have only seen the OFMC aircraft display, in high speed aerobatics. it could be how the aircraft is operated, the pilot might use the aux. door more often, all the pics i have seen, during aeros have been with the door open, i particularly like this display, for that reason, it is a very business like aircraft, and the whistle just acentuates this IMHO!!!

coanda

Member for

24 years 3 months

The whistling is actually the air passing over the gunports on this particular P-51.She is also fitted with a more powerful merlin engine than usually fitted to P-51's and she has a governor fitted to keep the speed down.
I just wish that she would be returned to her MOOSE/CANDYMAN markings as she was europes best looking P-51 in these markings.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The noise is indeed generated by the air whistling through the machine gun installation in the wings.It only occurs above about 200kts so you don't hear it all the time.
Candyman is not the only UK P51 which generates this noise.Both Rob Davies' 'Big Beautiful Doll' and the late Paul Morgan's 'Susy' also make this gorgeous whine.I'm guessing that Maurice Hammond's newly restored machine will also make this noise,as it too has gun ports.With regard to someone's earlier comments,I'm guessing that it certainly DID make a few Germans and Japanese run for it!It certainly increases the awe factor of a Mustang at shows today.
As for the most beautiful european Mustang,I think that falls between three machines-'Big Beatiful Doll',TFC's P51B 'Princess Elizabeth' and the Swiss-based 'Double-Trouble-Two'-an Oshkosh award winner no less!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes , it was a very nice looking machine when owned by TFC, and it's current markings are not too good.....but if we can wait till after the winter, it will (Apparently) be painted in different markings (though still yellow nosed), and given that OFMC are masters at accurate paint jobs, I think we might just be in for a real treat....I hope !

TTFN
Mick

Member for

24 years 3 months

When at the Tiger Convention back in october we were told that the Breitling Fighters would be losing the yellow noses and that the markings would be 100% accurate.