Spitfire and Helicopter ground collision at Headcorn?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

8 years 3 months

Went to Headcorn as Aero Legends were advertising Spitfire fly-in flights there today and tomorrow. No Spitfire but spoke to someone in the cafe who told me that Spitfire passenger flights had been stopped from Headcorn because a Spitfire had collided with a helicopter on the runway sometime last week. :( Anyone know anymore?

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

I was there yesterday and heard no mention, unless it's hushed up .

Member for

8 years 3 months

Chap in the Cafe was quite adamant, he said that all Spitfire passenger flying was going to be from Sywell until further notice. He said the Spitfires prop had touched the helicopters rear skid, Presumably if that's the case the Spitfire either isn't flying or went to Sywell yesterday and today. Just my luck though, first visit to headcorn to see the Spitfire operation and it wasn't there.

I wonder how the passengers who bought a flight to fly over the Dover Cliffs feel...

I guess if its been hushed up we will have to wait to see if an accident report is published before we know if its true or not.

Member for

14 years

Hardly the sort of thing which could be hushed up methinks ?

Member for

17 years 10 months

I did see a Spitfire Sunday pm over Kent near the Detling VOR heading for the coast, to far away to see which or even if a 2 seater.
Yes I agree, I think any issue would of been on social media within seconds.

Member for

17 years

The original poster is correct. Confirmed by somebody from Headcorn, occurred during landing rollout/taxi. Am surprised people think if an incident happens, it needs to appear here, and anything that doesn't is hushed up.

FB

Member for

18 years 4 months

Most incidents reach the internet eventually just as this one has, will be interesting to see the report when published.

Member for

17 years 11 months

A hairsbreadth away ...

Member for

20 years 4 months

I hope they sent the bill for a new prop blade to the helicopter pilot! ;)

Member for

16 years 2 months

I read the report and thought "what a numpty" closely followed by "there but for the grace of God" remembering some of the close calls I've had.

Member for

15 years

Well thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

Member for

17 years 10 months

I would not of wanted to wash the Spit pilots underwear that night

Member for

18 years 4 months

Noteworthy regarding Headcorn ops....
" Easy to get to and welcoming, the airfield with it's air ground radio means that flight all decisions are made by the pilot making him a better and more independent captain early on in his or her training."

So you have an air ground radio service manned by an AFISO not an air traffic controller. I have flown into and out of an AFISO manned airfield and have also qualified as an AFISO. The airmanship standard varies greatly and those using an AFISO manned or unmanned airfield need to develop eyes in the back of their head. This absence of control certainly contributed to this near fatal accident.A controller would have issued a clearance to cross BEHIND the landing aircraft once visual contact was confirmed. There are occasions when a landing roll turns into a roller so crossing low in front is not safe.

My own near miss came at Perth (Air Ground) when a Jodel departed via a reporting point as we arrived inbound at the same location .I was crew not pilot in command.

Pilots need to be aware that they are equally entitled to ask on the radio if uncertain of others height and location.

Member for

18 years 10 months

R44 pilot states that he didn't feel any contact, but earlier in the report states that both he & the passenger felt a bump, so which is it? R44 pilot states he stopped, witnesses state he didn't...

Profile picture for user Zac Yates

Member for

15 years 9 months

R44 pilot states that he didn't feel any contact, but earlier in the report states that both he & the passenger felt a bump, so which is it?

My emphasis in each.
70, synopsis:
The propeller of the Spitfire contacted the empennage of the helicopter but neither pilot was aware there had been contact, although a bump was felt in the R44.

71, para 5:
As they crossed the runway, the pilot and passenger both heard a noise and the passenger felt a slight bump.

72, last para:
As he crossed Runway 28, he heard a “whooshing” noise but did not feel any contact.

Member for

18 years 10 months

My emphasis in each.
70, synopsis:

71, para 5:

72, last para:

Must have been a very dense, very low level, loud cloud ;)