Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldgit158
    replied
    They are hoping nobody will notice if they do it piece by piece :-)

Leave a comment:

• CeBro
    replied
    If they keep moving exhibits away from Hendon nothing will be left.....
    Cheers
    Cees

Leave a comment:

• Pen Pusher
    replied
    The Sir Keith Park statue from the BoB Hall has been moved to Uxbridge.

https://www.facebook.com/rafmuseum/p...55956786612612

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Aviart
    replied
    "Do keep up "

Oh, I know ! I just didn't fancy looking through this mammouth topic. Thanks for the photo!

Leave a comment:

• TEXANTOMCAT
    replied
    In other news the Reds Gnat and the rescue Seaking have now arrived for the new entrance/emotional touching space/shop which used to be the BOB hall. Their FB page indicates that the new displays will be open mid summer, meaning they miss the 1 April date for the RAF 100.

Whilst I think the plans for the touchy feely space and the landscaping seem to be well know, less clear is the sort out in the main display halls - within this multimillion pound budget I would hope they would be able to 'finish off' the Bomber Command hall which has been 'half done' for some time- and perhaps do SOMETHING with the side and upper galleries!

TT

Leave a comment:

• Pen Pusher
    replied
    Do keep up

Not their final resting place.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Aviart
    replied
    Does anyone know what is the current status of the Bf109E is? Where is it and where will it be displayed in the long term?

Leave a comment:

• Flying_Pencil
    replied
    LOL.

Will miss the BoB hall.
    SOOOO glad I could see it in 2014!!
    Ahh, memories....

Leave a comment:

• aeronut 2008
    replied
    If they are going to display the 110 chasing the Lanc to be historically correct it should be below and behind. I never realised the Bomber Command hall had a cellar.

Leave a comment:

• thedawnpatrol
    replied
    Also being a collector of Flying Kit and Uniforms....this saddened me the other day on a visit to Cosford, where there is a selection of 'some' original kit for kids to try on.............i turned round to see a 10 year old tare this from his head and toss it to the ground........! it very nearly went in my wifes hand bag !
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DaveF68
    replied
    The lastest information about the 100 years project says the He111, Blenhiem, Ju87 and Bf110 are moving to the Bomber Command Hall, including the Bf100G which will be displayed 'chasing' the Lancaster.

I do hope they don't mean suspended from the ceiling......

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/...and-redisplay/

Leave a comment:

• Rat Acc
    replied
    A mate of mine, knowing that I used to work on the other side of the fence, has sent me this link.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/about-u...ts-technician/

When I visited the workshops open week last year, there wasn't much conservation going on as most of the techies were at Hendon, and had been for most of the year, and from what I've seen on this post, it doesn't look like that situation has changed this year either, or for next year by the looks of the comment about the uk tour on the Harrier photo. Seems to me that they're becoming more like Crash and Smash than a conservation/restoration centre.
    So, if you like working away from home, living out of a hold-all, then apply... but I've had a good read of it and decided it's not for me, too much like being back in the RAF...
    Plus, with all the brickbats and comments tossed around on this forum, you're going to need a thick skin...

Leave a comment:

• Pen Pusher
    replied
    RAF Museum‏ @RAFMUSEUM 6h
    More
    #London: Our Harrier has been taken down and will be part of the #RAF100 display tour across the UK next year before returning to us in 2019

https://twitter.com/rafmuseum

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Black Knight
    replied
    Baders legs should've been displayed too

Leave a comment:

• bananasplits
    replied
    Interesting comment regarding the moth eaten mannequins, I am a flying clothing collector as are my friends and while we obviously like to see the aircraft we want to see more flying clothing and not less. It was an important part of the history of WW2 and is sadly overlooked in virtually all museums.
    The white prestige suit which used to be by the Gladiator is one of only three in the world, the GQ Parasuit is one of only ten in the world and as for James Nicholsons flying clothing on the mezzanine floor among other things, not what I would personally describe as a few moth eaten mannequins.

Leave a comment:

• WP840
    replied
    When will the work be finished?

Leave a comment:

• Evalu8ter
    replied
    Binbrook,
    I think I'll be in a similar state at 2330 tonight!!!!
    Current plans are for all the 4s to become 6a versions (DAFCS upgrade). There is talk of another attempt at fleet coherence around the CH-47F Block II in the mid 2020s and that could (should) release ZA718 for display. It's the one Chinook I really didn't want to bend when I flew it.....

Bet you're glad you didn't take the job now!!!!

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Binbrook 01
    replied
    At 23.30 last night I wasn't sober enough to think of everything just about or post Falklands evalu8ter. I agree with you on all of that, and about BN.

But that depends on what the plan is with the current airframes. Are 718 which is currently a HC.4, due to go into the line with the other 4s to be brought upto HC.6 standard or are the penny pinchers going to strike again. I also saw something suggesting we might buy new Chinooks possibly giving the oldest airframes an earlier retirement maybe.

I now no longer care about the bloody job either.

Leave a comment:

• WP840
    replied
    The RAF in an Age of Uncertainty With a German Tornado among the various RAF aircraft?

Leave a comment:

• Creaking Door
    replied
    Always loved that entrance at Cosford...

...'award winning' architect at its best!

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
X