Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flying_Pencil
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2010

As a Yankee who visited this building often (in fact was instrumental in my aviation interest) I am really cross!

Although the collection was a bit mixed (87, 110 and 88 where post BoB) it was a IMHO a great view of that period of time!
    I am glad I could see it in 2014, and how much it had changed.

WTF is going on that RAFM?
    Do17 recovery fund
    Since 2004 dedicated to researching Do-17, 1000+ period photos, manuals, history, technology to put aircraft in perspective.

Comment

• Pen Pusher
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2005

We will be closing our Milestones of Flight Gallery on Monday 16 October so to start the enabling works for the fitting-out of a new permanent exhibition, the working title of which is The RAF in an Age of Uncertainty.

We would like to apologise in advance for any disappointment that this may cause.

This exhibition will open to the public in summer 2018, and will examine the RAFs recent history from the Falklands campaign to the modern day.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Age_of_Uncertainty_Entrance_Crop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	3677010

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/...october-until/

Brian
      The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
      DfG on Facebook

Comment

• David Burke
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

Easily changed to 'The RAF Museum in an Age of Uncertainty' !

Comment

• Consul
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2004

Calling all stations, can someone please find the plot - as we've lost it?
          "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

• Meddle
            Rank Bajin.
            • Sep 2014

As per my ramblings about the Malta aviation museum in my thread here last week, I'm not sure what is going on with Hendon. Probably the biggest crime at the moment is the Chapel at Biggin Hill, which I've been following via the Nooks and Corners page in Private Eye over the last few months. It seems that the issue is the same with both sites; the egos of those involved seem to overtake the project itself. Hendon really should sell itself, really. A large collection of interesting, pertinent and unusual aircraft in one easily accessed location. Why reinvent the wheel, simply because somebody somewhere has to put their personal slant and individual touch on the project?

I liked the museum in Malta because it was simple, really. No faffy interactive displays, games, puzzles or any sort of need to put an overly emotional heart-tug on any of the exhibits. No overt politicising of the exhibits to suite niche agendas. It did the job it set out to do; cover the history of aviation in Malta!

Comment

• Binbrook 01
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Dec 2004

Better ask the Luftwaffe if we can have a Tornado..... Hat coat.....

Actually putting the RAF jets etc post Falklands into Milestones might work. A Jaguar would be nice, Harrier9 perhaps and a Tornado GR.4 will be available soon if they ask. And if they really get it together...... there are tranche 1 Typhoons (two seaters) being put into RTP !!!!

Oh hang on I thinking correctly (and they never gave me a job there in January 16.!!)

Probably given my aviation publishing background it might have been because I had some sort of a clue.

T
              Last edited by Binbrook 01; 13th October 2017, 22:52.

Comment

• Meddle
                Rank Bajin.
                • Sep 2014

Maybe Duxford's TSR-2 in Milestones as well? Or turn Milestones into a potted history of how Britain slowly lost its hand in the world of aviation?

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2008

Is that a US Coast Guard Herc or is the museum getting sponsership from Easy Jet?
                  Are the architects who created that graphic the same ones who thought this was a good idea for the public enterence / emergency exit for the Cold War building at Cosford?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	health and safety disaster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	3677012

Comment

• Evalu8ter
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Nov 2011

"Actually putting the RAF jets etc post Falklands into Milestones might work...."

Most of the post 1982 DFCs and the RAF's only CGC have been won by helicopter crews (20+ DFCs by Chinook crews in Afghanistan alone). The top combat (not trinket) decorated post-war RAF pilots are helicopter pilots. The most decorated post-WW2 airman is a helicopter crewman. This is before we talk about the vital role of the AT and MPA forces, and the losses both fleets have taken. In some campaigns, Jets have made zero or a minimal contribution. If the RAF truly wants to commemorate the post-82 era then it MUST include a Chinook (preferably ZA718, as it's taken part in most of them....) and alongside it a Puma with substantial displays highlighting the role of the C130, AAR force and the Nimrod (as I appreciate that Milestones is a little cramped for them.......).

"Probably given my aviation publishing background it might have been because I had some sort of a clue."

Yep, maybe. But, perhaps, also a somewhat narrow point of view. Sorry to seem a little blunt, but after years flying helicopters in some of the world's cr@ppest places in sometimes awful conditions, being shot at, rocketed, SCUDded and mortared it is a little frustrating when because we don't go "woosh" at airshows we get airbrushed out of history....

There is more to airpower than jets, regardless how "sexy" they may appear to be. The RAF, as the UK's self-appointed custodians of airpower doctrine, sometimes need reminding of this fact.....

Comment

• Creaking Door
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Sep 2006

Always loved that entrance at Cosford...

...'award winning' architect at its best!
                      WA$.

Comment

• WP840
                        Whisky Papa
                        • Feb 2006

The RAF in an Age of Uncertainty With a German Tornado among the various RAF aircraft?
                        If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

Comment

• Binbrook 01
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Dec 2004

At 23.30 last night I wasn't sober enough to think of everything just about or post Falklands evalu8ter. I agree with you on all of that, and about BN.

But that depends on what the plan is with the current airframes. Are 718 which is currently a HC.4, due to go into the line with the other 4s to be brought upto HC.6 standard or are the penny pinchers going to strike again. I also saw something suggesting we might buy new Chinooks possibly giving the oldest airframes an earlier retirement maybe.

I now no longer care about the bloody job either.

Comment

• Evalu8ter
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Nov 2011

Binbrook,
                            I think I'll be in a similar state at 2330 tonight!!!!
                            Current plans are for all the 4s to become 6a versions (DAFCS upgrade). There is talk of another attempt at fleet coherence around the CH-47F Block II in the mid 2020s and that could (should) release ZA718 for display. It's the one Chinook I really didn't want to bend when I flew it.....

Bet you're glad you didn't take the job now!!!!

Cheers!

Comment

• WP840
                              Whisky Papa
                              • Feb 2006

When will the work be finished?
                              If you're not living on the edge then you're taking up too much space!

Comment

• bananasplits
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Nov 2008

Interesting comment regarding the moth eaten mannequins, I am a flying clothing collector as are my friends and while we obviously like to see the aircraft we want to see more flying clothing and not less. It was an important part of the history of WW2 and is sadly overlooked in virtually all museums.
                                The white prestige suit which used to be by the Gladiator is one of only three in the world, the GQ Parasuit is one of only ten in the world and as for James Nicholsons flying clothing on the mezzanine floor among other things, not what I would personally describe as a few moth eaten mannequins.
                                I don`t care to belong to any club that accepts people like me as members!

Comment

• Black Knight
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Oct 2003

Baders legs should've been displayed too

Comment

• Pen Pusher
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Mar 2005

RAF Museum‏ @RAFMUSEUM 6h
                                    More
                                    #London: Our Harrier has been taken down and will be part of the #RAF100 display tour across the UK next year before returning to us in 2019

https://twitter.com/rafmuseum

Brian
                                    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                                    DfG on Facebook

Comment

• Rat Acc
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Aug 2013

A mate of mine, knowing that I used to work on the other side of the fence, has sent me this link.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/about-u...ts-technician/

When I visited the workshops open week last year, there wasn't much conservation going on as most of the techies were at Hendon, and had been for most of the year, and from what I've seen on this post, it doesn't look like that situation has changed this year either, or for next year by the looks of the comment about the uk tour on the Harrier photo. Seems to me that they're becoming more like Crash and Smash than a conservation/restoration centre.
                                      So, if you like working away from home, living out of a hold-all, then apply... but I've had a good read of it and decided it's not for me, too much like being back in the RAF...
                                      Plus, with all the brickbats and comments tossed around on this forum, you're going to need a thick skin...

Comment

• DaveF68
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jun 2004

The lastest information about the 100 years project says the He111, Blenhiem, Ju87 and Bf110 are moving to the Bomber Command Hall, including the Bf100G which will be displayed 'chasing' the Lancaster.

I do hope they don't mean suspended from the ceiling......

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/...and-redisplay/

Comment

• thedawnpatrol
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Oct 2009

Also being a collector of Flying Kit and Uniforms....this saddened me the other day on a visit to Cosford, where there is a selection of 'some' original kit for kids to try on.............i turned round to see a 10 year old tare this from his head and toss it to the ground........! it very nearly went in my wifes hand bag !
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X