Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SADSACK
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Unless they build a hangar, Woodford will not have space. I think their building is a converted fire station? Question is who wants a Shackleton and has a big empty hangar to put it in? Chances are it will go into store at Cosford. The Vimy and Wallace are wasted in store.
    pb::

Comment

• Creaking Door
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2006

There would have been (should have been) plenty of room for the Shackleton, and other airframes, to be displayed inside at Cosford if the 'Cold War' exhibition space had been a more conventional, and more flexible, 'hangar' design...

...instead of going for something of more 'architectural merit'.

I'm not against modern architecture at all except where the 'architecture' starts to distract from the display of the aircraft or where the bulk of the money seems to have been spent 'solving' problems that were entirely created by the architecture!

It could be argued that the money could have been better spent on preserving existing RAF architecture on the many historic airfields that have been allowed to fall into dereliction; airfields that should be preserved in their own right and which, by their very nature, would provide the perfect environment (if updated sympathetically), and context, to display the growing collection of the RAF Museum.
      WA$.

Comment

• SADSACK
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

I think the Cold War building does a wonderful job. 20 years ago if you had suggested getting the Belfast under cover you would get the usual whitter of "theres no money"... as we know there is a bottomless pit for sculptures and exhibitions that tell us what the system whats us to know. How anyone can justify those yellow bollards at Hendon while moving a Catalina outside and disposing of a Walrus is anyones guess.

Comment

• Creaking Door
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Sep 2006

Disposing of a Walrus?
          WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Sep 2006

I cannot argue with getting the Belfast under cover but that could have been achieved far more economically with a less ambitious building that had more space (and a more flexible space)...

...I know site space is at a premium but what is it with the RAFM obsession with towers / ramps / lifts?

Bearing in mind the likely demographic of RAF Museum visitors, the very young and the very old, (and before anybody says 'disabled access' let me assure you that I am more aware than most about disabled access) could I humbly suggest that the best form of disabled access is a perfectly flat painted concrete floor from end-to-end in a large open-plan high-roofed building...

...you know, something like an aircraft hangar!

Perfectly flat painted concrete floors also have remarkably low operating costs once installed and are seldom found with 'out of order' signs on them! They are also very good at avoiding 'bottlenecks' and allow people who tire easily to go directly to where they need to go, at the (slow 'bottleneck') speed they need to go, without following a pre-planned route somebody thought they should use; somebody who did this when the museum was closed and empty!

The RAF Museum may also find these 'hangars' useful for displaying the odd old aircraft!
            WA$.

Comment

• Planemike
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Dec 2007

That is far too simple.............!!! No architect would receive an award for a having another hangar constructed !!

Comment

• SADSACK
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2000

re:

Disposing of a Walrus?
                WA$.

The powers that be failed to see the importance of the Walrus/Seagull!!! Hence its gone.

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Mar 2004

To be fair to the RAFM, each time you want to tap into a pot of cash- be it HFL or whatever you need a 'project' and the HFL rules come with certain tick boxes, so architectural merit, youth involvement etc etc. You cant go to HFL and say, we'd like some new lighting please - it has to be something whizzy.

Milestones of Flight wasnt about the RAF, it was a way of coming up with a project to get a new building and funding for same - such aircraft as were held were linked to it so it made sense. The Cold War Hall, couldnt be just a collection of cold war aircraft it had to tell the story of the Cold War and so on.

HFL want to be sure that for large amounts of moolah they get a whizz bang return and a statement project. People criticize the DO17 project but it was, as I understand it, a separate HFL application and funding wasnt diverted directly from RAFM funds for it.

People have criticized the Airspace revamp too. Ive never understood that because part of the funding paid for the restoration of various aircraft to go in it. To a certain extent, who cares exactly how they are presented as long as they are preserved undercover. BOB Hall did its job for 40 years - it had its good points and its bad points - it was certainly looking tired, but all those airframes were preserved from the 70s onwards when preservation wasnt as sophisticated as it now is - but at least they were saved....

Remember the BOB Beacon - I think most of us agreed it looked crap - so thank the stars its been shelved..... the new RAF entryway doesnt float my boat much either and taking a root and branch overview of the whole Museum over two sites I completely agree with an ASR section, Transport section or RAF in the 20s/30s/40s etc theming.

Storing some airframes is a real shame but as long as they dont dispose of them.... this is where I take my hat of to Yeovilton - they rotate their airframes and run IMHO a thoroughly splendid operation - the icing on the cake being the Martlet and Corsair archaeological restorations....

Just my pennorth (prepares to be shot down)
                  TT
                  Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                  Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                  www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                  Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

• SADSACK
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2000

My main objection is they have broken up the nations Battle of Britain collection, not just a/c but medals, fighter pens etc. The idea is the new building will tell us the history of the RAF - despite that being the entire point of the RAF museum!

Comment

• Creaking Door
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Sep 2006

The powers that be failed to see the importance of the Walrus/Seagull!!! Hence its gone.
                      Gone where?

Storage? Sold?
                      WA$.

Comment

• SADSACK
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2000

Meant to be going to Southampton.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Sep 2006

The one from the Battle-of-Britain hall at Hendon?

Is it a loan to 'Solent Sky' then (who I think already have a Walrus under restoration)?

If you think that's a loss to the RAF Museum Battle-of-Britain story then you must be gutted that they gave away a mint Do-24 recently...

...at about the same time all the fuss was being made over the Do-17 recovery.
                          Last edited by Creaking Door; 7th September 2017, 22:17.
                          WA$.

Comment

• SADSACK
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jan 2000

The DO24 and Mosquito went overseas 25 years ago.

The Seagull was displayed next to the Sunderland, Lysander and V2.

Comment

• Piston
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jun 2015

That Do-24 definitely didn't go that long ago! (Did it?!?)

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2006

The Do-24 was on 'long term loan' (17 years I think, followed by another 17 year option)...

...but it was only 'given' to a Dutch museum this year.
                                Last edited by Creaking Door; 8th September 2017, 13:11.
                                WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Sep 2006

Blimey, where did ten years go to?

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...for-RAF-Museum

Ironic really, considering what I was saying about Hendon being the place to commemorate the Battle-of-Britain!
                                  WA$.

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Mar 2004

The Walrus/Seagull is at RAFM Stafford at the mo. Wings folded.

I was surprised they gave the DO24 away but I suppose it was gifted to them by the Spanish so no real option other than a swap? More relevant to the Dutch anyway TBH!
                                    Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                                    Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                                    www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                                    Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Sep 2006

So long as the RAF Museum doesn't decide that the Bf-110, Ju-87, Me-410, Ju-88, etc, etc...

...are more relevant to the Germans!!!
                                      WA$.

Comment

• David Burke
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2000

Yes but you could argue the Me410 is far more interesting to the German people than the British.

Comment

• SADSACK
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2000

A swap for something relevant would be ok. I just dont see the point on off loading a/c with nothing gained.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X