Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tin Triangle
    Bright Young Thing
    • Dec 2009

I can't quite understand the inherent dislike of the (handful of) types not operated by the RAF which are preserved at Hendon and Cosford. To me the story of the RAF is indeed central to the remit of the museum (obviously), but gains so much by context. The Battle of Britain story is simply incomplete without an appreciation of the Luftwaffe combat types that the Few were up against. The same applies to the suffering of Bomber Command at the hands of the German nightfighter and flak defences, or the see-sawing of air superiority over Europe with the introduction of the FW190 or Me262, or the travails of South East Asia command against the Japanese. However I do agree that the large number of USAAF aircraft could be slimmed down, or repainted to honour their RAF roles, and there's much opportunity for some intelligent reshuffling and review of displays. Why not pair the Lancaster with the BF110, or the BF109G with the Kittyhawk, or the P-51 with the Me262?

As for the Battle of Britain Hall, we'll have to see what they make of the space, but it would have to be extraordinarily good to justify the loss of valuable space, and the breakup of a generally coherent display on a pivotal piece of RAF history. If I was CEO, I'd keep the Sunderland where it is, and convert the hall into a dedicated maritime display and Coastal Command, with Beaufighter, Seagull, Stranraer, motor launches, SAR Whirlwind, and Shackleton. Then prepare a new Battle of Britain permanent exhibition in the main museum space.

With the upcoming anniversary
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• Fournier Boy
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2007

As it so happens, the 110 is going with the Lancaster.

I fail to see though how a Jungmann, a mew gull, and a fiat fit with the story of the RAF

Comment

• Consul
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2004

QUOTE: "I can't quite understand the inherent dislike of the (handful of) types not operated by the RAF which are preserved at Hendon and Cosford. To me the story of the RAF is indeed central to the remit of the museum (obviously), but gains so much by context."

Tin Triangle

I agree with you. The roles performed over the years by the RAF must be seen in context to appreciate why the specific technology was created then developed and why the organisational structures were put in place. To interpret this it is helpful to understand the nature and sophistication of hardware used by adversaries. The reasoning behind aircraft designs and their deployment by the RAF, plus the challenges faced by personnel cannot be fully appreciated from a one sided view.

Tim
        Last edited by Consul; 4th September 2017, 22:14.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

• TonyT
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2006

I am not against the oppositions aircraft, let me get that straight, simply the fact that what are ever increasingly rare aircraft are being dumped outside.

Comment

Who needs stuffy old aeroplanes, anyway? (no smileys for 'tongue in cheek')

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/...t-night-london

Comment

• SADSACK
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

Policy has always been big a/c at Cosford as Hendon has no runway. Its a shame they declined to put a Tristar cockpit in.
              pb::

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Mar 2004

Has anyone got 'official' confirmation that the Shackleton which belongs to RAFM has been 'refused' by Cosford?
                Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

• David Burke
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2000

I have never heard that and I recall plans were in place years ago to move it to Cosford on one of the previous MOSI speculation periods.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Sep 2006

As for the Battle of Britain Hall, we'll have to see what they make of the space, but it would have to be extraordinarily good to justify the loss of valuable space, and the breakup of a generally coherent display on a pivotal piece of RAF history. If I was CEO, I'd keep the Sunderland where it is...
                    The Sunderland is staying where it is...

...and there are links earlier in this thread that show exactly what the RAFM is 'making of the space'.
                    WA$.

Comment

• Consul
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2004

QUOTE "Who needs stuffy old aeroplanes, anyway? (no smileys for 'tongue in cheek')
                      https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/...t-night-london"

Stone the crows - are they running a night club or a museum now? ��
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

• Planemike
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Dec 2007

Theme park by day, Night club by night..............!!!

Comment

• SADSACK
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2000

"Has anyone got 'official' confirmation that the Shackleton which belongs to RAFM has been 'refused' by Cosford?"

I will ask for you

Comment

• Tin Triangle
                            Bright Young Thing
                            • Dec 2009

"I fail to see though how a Jungmann, a mew gull, and a fiat fit with the story of the RAF "

I quite agree that this should be an opportunity for sensible review of the collection - clearly the Jungmann and Mew Gull should find better homes.
                            But as for the relevance of the FIAT, I think the RAF pilots fighting them over the Mediterranean, North Africa, East Africa and even SE England in 1940 would disagree with you! I'd move it to a themed Desert War display with Beaufort, Kittyhawk and BF109 though - as the contribution of the Regia Aeronautica to the Battle Of Britain was definitely minimal by comparison.
                            Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• Maple 01
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • May 2004

But the CR42 on display was the one Axis aircraft (other than the Bf-109) in the Battle of Britain museum that actually saw service against the RAF in the Battle.....so if any airframe should be there it's that one
                              Krlewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Comment

• SADSACK
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2000

The RAFM got back to me almost at once...

Dear Nick/Stephen,

The Final disposition of the RAFM aircraft on loan to the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) has still to be determined; however none of them are scheduled to come to our London. They remain on public display at MOSI but I would advise contacting MOSI direct for an update on the closure date.

Comment

• Trevor G
                                  Rank 4 Registered User
                                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Typhoon 2 View Post
                                  The best place for the Shackleton would be the new Avro Heritage Centre at Woodford, but I cannot understand why MOSI wants to lose this fantastic and popular exhibit!
                                  As I understand the situation, the MOSI aviation hall has/will be closed down and the exhibits dispersed. I was last there about three years ago and it had the atmosphere of a place that had given up trying. Where once (I think) there was a Firefly cockpit with Griffon engine was a three wheeler mobility motorbike. No caption, no context.

Go figure.

Trevor

Comment

• SADSACK
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2000

The Avro 707 would have been ideal for Milestones of flight. Lets hope it goes to Woodford. Is there an exact list of what they have?

Comment

• DaveF68
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jun 2004

It's interesting to observe the changes that have happened at both MOSI and Hendon since new management took over.

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Mar 2004

So it would seem that the Shack refusal hasnt got any confirmation. I personally would be amazed if they 'refused' it - bearing in mind the large numbers of ex Shack crew still with us! I can see it being loaned to another Museum however I am sure that their specs would be similar to those on loan to Tangmere - ie undercover display which with an aircraft that large would limit a lot of Museums. Woodford would be most appropriate however I havent been so have no idea what space would actually be available. They are moveable clearly as the ex Gatwick - Bruntingthorpe move showed!
                                        Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                                        Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                                        www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                                        Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

• David Burke
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2000

The RAFM cannot exactly refuse it as its theirs!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X