Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trolly Aux
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2006

Originally posted by Dobbins View Post
    Hendon was an airfield but the only things that have expanded are the yuppie flats...!
    I worked on some of those flats many years back,, lots are not YUPPIE believe me
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Comment

• John Green
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2011

For once and probably once only, I'm in complete agreement with CD.

I've previously mentioned this; I live under a patch of sky frequently criss crossed by not only GA but, also, Spitfire and Mustang traffic from Goodwood. If I'm around my local shopping area with many people to be seen, rather than down at the harbour, I'm jaw droppingly amazed that so few heads - if any at all - lift and look up when they hear the so distinctive snarl of the Merlins.

I think that on just two occasions, I've been asked by passers by, what are these aircraft. I admit that I'm shocked at the level of ignorance and disinterest.

Comment

• jack windsor
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Creaking Door View Post
        Bearing in mind my post above.....I'll tell you a funny story about the last time I was at Duxford.

There was a school party of about thirty or forty children, boys and girls, maybe nine or ten year olds, having a lunch-break on one of the grass areas by the air-side barrier. Most of them had finished their lunch and were running around playing games on the grass or just sitting and talking when suddenly a Spitfire flew down the length of the runway. If that wasn't enough the Spitfire pilot then proceeded to practice an air-show display routine; this will be a real treat for the children I thought, seeing an actual Spitfire performing right in front of them, but do you know how many of the children even bothered to look up from their games or conversations?

Two, that's how many. And it wasn't helped by the fact that the school staff (three women if I remember) didn't look up from their conversation either or call the children's attention to the Spitfire. Now it's very possible that the staff didn't recognise the sight and sound of the aircraft as a Spitfire specifically, but surely they'd have recognised it as something very much out of the ordinary, at least worth looking to see what it was?

Surely they cannot all have found the sight of a Spitfire so common that it wasn't even worth a look? The only conclusion I can draw is that, except the two that looked, none of them had the slightest interest in the history of where they were, or aircraft of any description, or even anything remotely out of the ordinary that happened near them?
        I remember someone, but cannot remember who, once said "I cannot envision the day when I would not look up at hearing a aircraft pass overhead" or words to that effect. Its individual priorities nowadays, you visit a airshow, airport, or aviation museum its mostly middle/aged people there, who got the aviation bug before the social media and computer games bug got them.

regards,
        jack...

this post may have grammatical errors...

Comment

• vultee35
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2005

Thankfully, it's not all school children who aren't interested. In early November, I took my three military vehicles to the local primary school, as the year 6 students ( 10~11 years ) had been studying WW2 history all term. They had a visit to Eden POW camp, done a WW2 assault course and general fitness training, dressed up as evacuees and several other activities. Myself and some friends gave four 20 minute lectures across the morning ( North East Blitz, ENSA, wartime school boy memories, & the US air war ). After the first three lectures, we took the kids out to see the vehicles and artifacts in the school field. The class and head teacher both got to drive a Jeep and the kids loved it.

Last edited by vultee35; 11th December 2016, 11:51. Reason: Spelling
          Stephen Carr

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

See my Websites Here

Comment

• hawker1966
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Nov 2010

(A nice post Vultee35 also some cracking vehicles you have there)

Reference the Hendon thread things cant of been that bad surely as the museum states on post 220 "It welcomes approximately 700,000 visitors a year"

So why waste all this money its not like the Museums in decline.. i do understand the need for something to celebrate the Centenary (and rightly so) but at what expense.. a little to severe in my mind.

I just wonder if in 44 or years time will the new hall (looking at there new plans) be able to withstand the same amount of interest as the the previous Battle of Britain Hall has done..

As i have said previous once visited the new centenary building will i want to go back over and over again like i have with the current tribute to the Battle of Britain. Not for me im afraid..
            Last edited by hawker1966; 11th December 2016, 12:43.

Comment

• hampden98
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2009

Hendon is one of the few aviation museums that can be got to by a child living in London.
              I used to spend many happy weekends taking the tube from the Elephant and Castle down to Colindale to visit the museum.
              I'm not sad the BoB hall is being replaced with something new as the old hall was very tired.
              I am sad that the aircraft are being dispersed. They should remain as a collection.
              Hendon itself has been somewhat neglected overall imho. The removal of the upstairs ww1 collections and the general moving around,
              mucking about with exhibits. I do like some of the new additions.

Comment

• Dobbins
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Feb 2012

I still don't understand the rationale behind sending the Defiant and Gladiator to Cosford. If the museum is marking the centenary of the RAF then I would have considered these are being fairly integral to the story, ie what did we go to war with in 1939?!

Comment

• Creaking Door
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by vultee35 View Post
                  In early November, I took my three military vehicles to the local primary school...
                  Is this something you and your friends did on a voluntary basis?
                  WA$.

Comment

• vultee35
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2005

Yes. I hated history at school, but learning about the 8th AF and WW2 vehicles in my own time, my way was interesting. History when I was at school was books and dates, and totally dead to me. Taking the vehicles and artifacts into school, brings history to life in a way no book can.
                    Stephen Carr

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

See my Websites Here

Comment

• Wings43
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by John Green View Post
                      For once and probably once only, I'm in complete agreement with CD.

I've previously mentioned this; I live under a patch of sky frequently criss crossed by not only GA but, also, Spitfire and Mustang traffic from Goodwood. If I'm around my local shopping area with many people to be seen, rather than down at the harbour, I'm jaw droppingly amazed that so few heads - if any at all - lift and look up when they hear the so distinctive snarl of the Merlins.

I think that on just two occasions, I've been asked by passers by, what are these aircraft. I admit that I'm shocked at the level of ignorance and disinterest.
                      And are you ignorant if your jaw doesn't drop at a touch you are disinterested in? No, of course not. Why would someone, without a grounding in the subject, be expected to know a merlin and spitfire from say a general light aircraft? Some people arnt interested in aircraft and do wouldn't think twice. This doesn't mean they are ignorant. But in true grumpy old forum fashion you can't see beyond our area of interest.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Mar 2010

No doubt a repeat, and no idea when it was recorded. BBC's Flog it is now on BBC1 from Hendon
                        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• mmitch
                          • Mar 2003

Has anybody seen any aircraft being moved into the former Battle of Britain hall yet or is it to be left 'aircraft free' perhaps with VR headsets for everybody to wander round an empty space. It does seem very quiet....
                          mmitch.

Comment

• SADSACK
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jan 2000

5 aircraft, Gnat, Sea King, Sunderland (not sure of the others) will go into the expanded building. I am in regular contact with the museum regarding news. personally I would have had the Catalina, Stranraer, Seagull, Sunderland and Motor boats together.
                            pb::

Comment

• TEXANTOMCAT
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2004

Seagull is up at Stafford, I saw it last week - as is the Wapiti, Hind, Mohawk, Moth, Henshaw Mew, and the PR Spit loaned to Bahrain(?) is back very sad TBH- a lot of money was spent on the Mohawk....the Miles Hawk Major has gone I think - the Henshaw Mew is lovely but I think still owned by the family?
                              Our Beech 18 & T-6@www.beechrestorations.com
                              Visit Sywell Aviation Museum @
                              www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/museum.php
                              Sywell Airshow 17.8.2014

Comment

• farnboroughrob
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Dec 2008

Who ever thought of this Hendon lunacy need their head testing! Lets replace a building with 25(??) aircraft with 5, makes perfect sense to somebody? Why not remove the aircraft all tougher and just show film shows in each of the halls! Any ideas on how long the 100 exhibition will be on for? The only bright side I can see if getting some of those aircraft at Stafford loaned out to other museums.

Comment

• SADSACK
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jan 2000

Some of the ideas beggar belief. They have no idea whats happening to Keith Park. They don't seem to understand the relevance of the Wallace or Sea Gull/Walrus. The Hurricane back to the main building circa 1974, rather than in a purpose built fighter pen.

And not everyone can get to where some of the collection have ended up.
                                  pb::

Comment

• Rocketeer
                                    trying harder
                                    • Jan 2005

The Battle of Britain hall gave context to the Battle. For instance a blast pen, interpretation etc. Context and interpretation are two in vogue words in the museum world .....so why dilute it?
                                    Tony Dyer
                                    https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

• bananasplits
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Nov 2008

While i am the first to admit that the BoB hall needed a bit of a revamp, we now have no national memorial to the BoB, one of the most pivotal battles in the history of the island, it`s an utter disgrace and whoever thought up this ridiculous plan should hang their head in shame.
                                      I don`t care to belong to any club that accepts people like me as members!

Comment

• Fournier Boy
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Mar 2007

So the national BoB memorial at Capel-le-fern has passed you by then?

FB

Comment

• Agent K
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • May 2005

As has the BoB Memorial on the Thames Embankment in London, clearly..........

Talk about hanging head in shame!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X