Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideslip
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2012

I for one won't be rushing to Hendon to see the Now and Future exhibit area with its unmanned aircraft systems and global role today. I'll just stay at home and watch the grass grow.
    Work! You don't know what work is. When I was a boy...

Comment

• stuart gowans
      Not a real Spitfire
      • Dec 2005

"innovative systems, products and solutions in autonomous systems, cyber, C4ISR, strike, and logistics"

I remember when they used to make aeroplanes; how quaint.........
      Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

Tough call.

The Innovative Systems, Products and Solutions in Autonomous Systems, Cyber, C4ISR, Strike, and Logistics Museum.

Or the Battle of Britain Museum.

Comment

• Trolly Aux
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2006

Do we need a poll on this? not sure how you set one up but could be worth doing here?
          SMOKE SMOKE GO!
          TA out

Comment

• CADman
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rocketeer View Post
            So, we know/believe lots of stuff from the BoB went in the skip....Churchill, the mannequins....so what has happened or is planned for the stuff in the photos? The windscreen referred to earlier is shown. Hope they did not also skip the Ops Room? I would have given a home to it and many of the mannequins and other items including backdrops. Many museums would have loved this stuff too.
            I know that some RAFM people watch this forum....so answers would be appreciated?
            Obviously to late for stuff that has gone in the skip. Unless somebody knows where the skip went. lol
            But seriously people have offered unwanted stuff a good home, why the hell has the RAFM not had the equivalent of a car boot sale, if not for the Museum its self but for RAF Charities ? As I say too late for stuff which has gone missing.

Comment

• Bruce
              Independent analyst
              • Jan 2000

But what went in the skip?

Artefacts? No - they cant just dispose of artefacts like that. Churchill, as I recall was a technical marvel back in the 1980's when it was first installed. Now? Not so much. Indeed on the times when I was a reasonably regular visitor, he was usually broken..

Comment

I too think it most unlikely that any exhibits would have been 'disposed of' since the RAFM simply wouldn't be able to do that.

I'd suggest that exhibit 'infrastructure', set dressing if you like, may well have gone. Much of it would have been bespoke for the exhibits, I'd have thought, and not necessarily easily de-constructed and possibly long past its use-by/sell-by date, anyway. Exhibit material (artefacts) built into such displays etc. would, I'm sure, not have been skipped and re-usable items like manequins would most probably have gone into store for eventual re-use.

I'm sure the RAFM would be happy to answer the question if posed to them.

Comment

• Trolly Aux
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2006

I think the consensus of opinion in this thread is that The Battle of Britain Hall at Hendon should not of been split up, a revamp of course but not this disposal to four points.
                  Last edited by Trolly Aux; 9th December 2016, 11:48.
                  SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                  TA out

Comment

• Meddle
                    Rank Bajin.
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Creaking Door View Post
                    You did notice that Duxford is an operational airfield, right?

By their very definition they tend to be, you know, out in the open countryside!
                    Very droll. How bloody difficult would it be to provide a shuttle service for the last ~2 miles between Duxford and the nearest public transport node?

Comment

• Agent K
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by windhover View Post
                      Same old story... two types of museum personnel: T
                      The suits (Managers and Consultants) who talk about it
                      and the restoration/conservation skilled staff who actually get their hands dirty.
                      3 types!.... you're forgetting the armchair warriors/experts who even when not fully appraised of all the facts and finances and museum and governmental frameworks etc. can do a far far better job, but are unwilling to offer their time as a museum volunteer.

Comment

• Bunsen Honeydew
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Agent K View Post
                        3 types!.... you're forgetting the armchair warriors/experts who even when not fully appraised of all the facts and finances and museum and governmental frameworks etc. can do a far far better job, but are unwilling to offer their time as a museum volunteer.
                        The third type aren't personnel, although they can be very irritating.

Comment

• Bunsen Honeydew
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DaveF68 View Post
                          The most ridiculous things was deciding to put the RAF Museum at a site which wasn't going to be an active airfield (Just because it HAD to be in London?)
                          If you're trying to bring in and/or educate the general public, tourists, school parties etc, the last place you want to be is on an active airfield, it's too remote and security can be an issue. What you want is a place that has room for expansion and is close to a major connurbation with good public transport links, like Hendon.

I'd like to see Aviaiton Heritage Centres near other major towns and cities but I'm not sure how viable that is. Places like Newark and East Fortune seem to do well do well but there aren't many of them. Anyone know how IWM north does? Does it meet expectations in terms of visitor numbers?

Comment

• Foray
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jan 2011

Ref Tangmere1940's "I'm sure the RAFM would be happy to answer the question if posed to them"
                            ['The 'quote' option doesn't appear to work with this post #227]

I did, concerning the wreck of Hurricane P3175, and was assured that it will stay on display at Hendon but where on the site was yet to be decided.

Comment

• SADSACK
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2000

They have missed a chance to display the Seagull, Sunderland and Stranraer together. They could have easily extended the building and put the Catalina in as well.
                              pb::

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
                                If you're trying to bring in and/or educate the general public, tourists, school parties etc, the last place you want to be is on an active airfield, it's too remote and security can be an issue. What you want is a place that has room for expansion and is close to a major connurbation with good public transport links, like Hendon.
                                So that rules out the museums at Cosford, Duxford, Yeovilton and Middle Wallop then?

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Meddle View Post
                                  Very droll. How bloody difficult would it be to provide a shuttle service for the last ~2 miles between Duxford and the nearest public transport node?
                                  Not difficult at all.....but bloody expensive!

And probably a shuttle bus service that would be empty 95% of the time; so that would be money totally wasted (well, excepting the extra people who visit the museum only because of the shuttle bus service).

I must admit that I almost never use public transport and wouldn't even consider trying to get to Duxford except by car. I think visiting HMS Belfast, or other central London museums, are the only times I've used public transport to get to a museum (and that's not really to do with the excellence of the public transport, more the congestion on the roads).
                                  WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Sep 2006

Not sure what 'security' issues there have ever been at Duxford or Old Warden?

Surely the best place to 'educate' people about military aviation (say) is a former military airfield with the opportunity to experience real flying aircraft and aircraft under maintenance or restoration, rather than the 'dead' relics in the 'average' museum like Hendon? I love(d) the Battle-of-Britain hall but it has never been so interesting to me as when the aircraft were being dismantled to be moved; at all other times it just felt 'dead' in comparison!

Airfields (usually) have quite a lot of room for expansion.....unlike Hendon! And what use is being 'close to a major conurbation' to the 99% of the population, and all the tourists, who don't live in said conurbation? To them it's just a source of traffic congestion, delay and lack of parking!
                                    Last edited by Creaking Door; 10th December 2016, 23:48.
                                    WA$.

Comment

• Rocketeer
                                      trying harder
                                      • Jan 2005

I think that part of my disappointment was that it was done in quite an underhand way. When I went to see the BoBH, and the aircraft were dismantled, the signs all stated that they were dismantled for conservation and structural checks, nothing about dispersement or shutting the hall/repurposing it. I did a straw pole and most people thought it was a revamp of the hall not dispersement. Indeed many were saddened.
                                      My daughter is really upset about it. Whilst Bruce is right about Churchill, many museums would rather have 89s tech, or be offered it, than watch it go in the skip.
                                      I used to serve on the BAPC committee and have been involved/around collections for over 30years. But I am not a paid professional. My drive comes purely from interest and the desire to inform and educate future generations to what great things have been done by ancestors, technology and the debt we owe. Over the years I have seen arrogance displayed by many of the big museums. I am not sure they are that tuned to what the public want. In our museum, the number one thing the future generations get is to sit in and sample what aircraft are like.
                                      Tony Dyer
                                      https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

• Dobbins
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Feb 2012

Hendon was an airfield but the only things that have expanded are the yuppie flats...!

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Sep 2006

If you're trying to educate school parties...
                                          Bearing in mind my post above.....I'll tell you a funny story about the last time I was at Duxford.

There was a school party of about thirty or forty children, boys and girls, maybe nine or ten year olds, having a lunch-break on one of the grass areas by the air-side barrier. Most of them had finished their lunch and were running around playing games on the grass or just sitting and talking when suddenly a Spitfire flew down the length of the runway. If that wasn't enough the Spitfire pilot then proceeded to practice an air-show display routine; this will be a real treat for the children I thought, seeing an actual Spitfire performing right in front of them, but do you know how many of the children even bothered to look up from their games or conversations?

Two, that's how many. And it wasn't helped by the fact that the school staff (three women if I remember) didn't look up from their conversation either or call the children's attention to the Spitfire. Now it's very possible that the staff didn't recognise the sight and sound of the aircraft as a Spitfire specifically, but surely they'd have recognised it as something very much out of the ordinary, at least worth looking to see what it was?

Surely they cannot all have found the sight of a Spitfire so common that it wasn't even worth a look? The only conclusion I can draw is that, except the two that looked, none of them had the slightest interest in the history of where they were, or aircraft of any description, or even anything remotely out of the ordinary that happened near them?
                                          Last edited by Creaking Door; 11th December 2016, 00:21.
                                          WA$.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X