Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RAF Museum Hendon - Closure / Dispersion of Battle of Britain Hall

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rafmatt
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2007

Hasn't Christopher Nolan bought the Luftwaffe aircraft to "crash" for the Dunkirk movie

Comment

• TallyHo!
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Trolly Aux View Post
      And what will happen to Maffets Hurricane?
      I had wondered about this. Certainly the most poignant tribute to the few.

I found the suggestion of dispersing the BoB Hall troubling. I now find the actual plans of its replacement downright horrifying.

Comment

• NEEMA
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Feb 2013

I must admit that I am totally lost regarding what now passes as policy with the RAFM. I had fairly close contact with many of the key Museum senior staffs and their various aspirations from the early 70's before my final departure from the U.K. in the early 90's. Obviously they had varying perspectives, but all were well informed professionals with aviation backgrounds who had the interests of the RAF and the history of the U.K. miitary aircraft industry at heart. This generation has now long gone.
        So, afterwards , we then had the planned "Tower of Babel" edifice : to be built as a huge folly ( and costing a fortune to "consultants "etc.) dominating the sky line and packed with plastic aircraft as a funfair to commemorate the pivotal "Historic Battle of Britain". Within a few short years we now find that this is all now turned on its head with a total opposite political "spin" being applied , by those with no RAF or other military links, to play down the very same conflict in order to put it "in context". May I ask "Whose context?".
        Certainly not mine .

Comment

• trumper
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2003

See the Duxford marketing shambles thread --seems very similar http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...eting-shambles ,managers/consultants knowing more than the professionals.
          I do wonder whether there will be an IWM in 10 years.

Comment

• hawker1966
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Nov 2010

100 per cent not for me very disappointed and to think what has been sacrificed is a little unnerving, like a previous poster stated once around it. would you bother to go back? whereas the current set up i return over and over again year in year out.. may appeal to the younger generation but not for me. still theres other Museums i can spend my Saturdays at.

Comment

• scotavia
              scotavia
              • Nov 2005

Very very strange ideas regarding RAFM display plan, is there any way to lobby these proposals? Is this regarded as a relatively small part of the Hendon layout?

Comment

• aeronut 2008
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2008

I was talking to the curator of another of the UK's major aviation museums at the weekend and the conversation got around to the RAFM's plans. I mentioned that if a particular airframe (with a local conection) was to be moved could it taken on loan to this museum. I'll admit I was expecting the usual answer I get to my bright ideas - "There's no room / There's no money", so I was a little shocked to hear " That's a good idea, I contact them."

Comment

• jack windsor
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Dec 2008

Will they be selling the "family silver", then have a clear space for the theme park...

this post may contain grammatical errors...

Comment

• Creaking Door
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Sep 2006

That whole 'RAF LAB' thing seems really badly thought-out; a massive over-reliance on 'screens' and one-off mechanical features that are either going to be 'out of order' much of the time or be extremely expensive to procure and maintain.

Surely, with every ten year old now brandishing mum's cast-off iPhone or iPad, this permanent RAF of 'today and the future' exhibition is going to look very, very dated, very, very quickly; and I'm not sure the message the 'future' RAF wants to send is a lot of blank screens and bits of dangling wire where missing headphones have been ripped from the wall!

Mind you, the correct place for headphones with wires attached is probably in a museum these days...

...just not where you are the ten thousandth person to put them over your ears!

It makes you wonder if any of the people who think-up these ideas have ever been to an actual museum and, obviously, by that I mean when it is open to the public, busy, and when they are not being shown round personally by the curator or chairman of the trustees...

...to me this is the number-one failing of every piece of modern museum design.

Central to the exhibition will be "an interactive debating chamber where visitors can discuss the future..."

...well, I guess they can store the broken stuff in there without it getting in anybody's way!
                    Last edited by Creaking Door; 8th August 2016, 21:38.
                    WA$.

Comment

• Foray
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Trolly Aux View Post
                      And what will happen to Maffets Hurricane?
                      I understand it is to remain at Hendon but exactly where has yet to be decided.

Comment

• Larry66
                        Hangar bout lad!
                        • Oct 2005

Having never been to an aviation museum I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.
                        What I know about planes you could write on the back of a beer mat, but I'm looking for bigger beer mats!
                        My photos
                        http://stumm47.deviantart.com/

Comment

• Trolly Aux
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • May 2006

the RAFM Hendon should be ashamed, it will not be a museum any more just an attraction to distract the kids for a few hours.
                          Much more could of been done in making up dioramas with the aircraft and ground crews etc
                          SMOKE SMOKE GO!
                          TA out

Comment

• Wings43
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jan 2015

It won't be distracting the kids. It will be 'attracting' the kids thus being exactly what a museum like should be: an igniter of passion in aviation history.

How many stuffed mannequins do you want pretending to fix up aircraft? Then you'll have the other 50% of enthusiasts complaining they ruin the pictures they're taking.

Comment

• Wings43
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                              See the Duxford marketing shambles thread --seems very similar http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...eting-shambles ,managers/consultants knowing more than the professionals.
                              I do wonder whether there will be an IWM in 10 years.
                              Managers and consultants are professionals? How are they not?

Comment

• Wings43
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by NEEMA View Post
                                I must admit that I am totally lost regarding what now passes as policy with the RAFM. I had fairly close contact with many of the key Museum senior staffs and their various aspirations from the early 70's before my final departure from the U.K. in the early 90's. Obviously they had varying perspectives, but all were well informed professionals with aviation backgrounds who had the interests of the RAF and the history of the U.K. miitary aircraft industry at heart. This generation has now long gone.
                                So, afterwards , we then had the planned "Tower of Babel" edifice : to be built as a huge folly ( and costing a fortune to "consultants "etc.) dominating the sky line and packed with plastic aircraft as a funfair to commemorate the pivotal "Historic Battle of Britain". Within a few short years we now find that this is all now turned on its head with a total opposite political "spin" being applied , by those with no RAF or other military links, to play down the very same conflict in order to put it "in context". May I ask "Whose context?".
                                Certainly not mine .
                                Correction, new RAFM boss has a family connection with the RAF and has abandoned the Tower of Babel as you called it.

The last director who had a lot of RAF experience was at the helm during that period.

I'm seeing no link here that having military experience makes you a good or bad anything other than being in the military.

Comment

• Southern Air99
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • May 2015

I know little to be honest, but it appears almost as though the museum is (inadvertently?) toning down the importance of the Battle of Britain through this dispersal and by the cancellation of the 'Battle Of Britain Beacon' if that ever was even a possibility.
                                  It was one of the only places that had such a large representation (ok some were later models, the 111, JU87 etc) of aircraft that were involved in the battle, One of the most pivotal moments of the Second World War by all counts. I think it's a disgrace. If it had been a revamp it would be a good thing, but breaking up such a unique exhibition is a sacrilege in my books.

Comment

• Supermarine305
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • May 2012

The Battle of Britain was pivital but in my opinion the RAFM Hendon has focussed on that at the cost of other wartime engagements. Where is the same attention paid to the air wars of the Far East, North Africa, Coastal command. Is that any less of an insult to the aircrew that fought and died in those engagements?

The Bomber Command hall is a mess. An interesteding mess no doubt but it comes across as a jumble of aircraft from different eras with nothing to link them. Same for Milestones of Flight.

I know I am not the only one to have said this on this forum but the real problem the RAFM has to deal with is splitting its collection between two sites. How can it hope to tell a comprehensive story of the RFC and RAF?

No doubt there is a feeling it needs to keep its presense in the Capital. Hendon was an historic airfield. But that is nearly all lost. No doubt Hendon's ability to hold conferences is also a nice earler on the side and a reason to stay there.

Comment

• Rocketeer
                                      trying harder
                                      • Jan 2005

Went back last week. The former BoB hall is fenced off and has lots of skips around it. It looks sad and forlorn. Apparently lots of the ancillary stuff ended up in those skips, mannequins, supporting displays. An enlightened museum would have offered these to other museums. Indeed the RAFM used to store such items and then, when cardington closed, offered them thru the BAPC to museums with less money.
                                      The pendulum has swung....from the BoB beacon, which does not look so crazy now, to the wanton destruction of a national treasure.
                                      I realise this will provoke some strong comments suggesting I am backward looking or just a cranky enthusiast who does not give the kids what they want. But it is sad and shows more dumbing down of history to fit the temporary and disposable world we live in where z list celebrities are kings and queens and real heroes, heroines and role models are forgotten.
                                      Tony Dyer
                                      https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

• mmitch
                                        • Mar 2003

Perhaps if the RAFM doesn't want the central memorial anymore it should at least go to Capel-en Ferne.
                                        Or maybe they can find a dark corner to dump it.....
                                        mmitch.

Comment

• Bruce
                                          Independent analyst
                                          • Jan 2000

As we still don't know how the RAFM are choosing to interpret the Battle, its a bit early to judge them. Time will tell.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X