Picture of the day

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have now got the bug for posting pictures, so i will try and post something interesting most days. Please tell me if you get fed up with it.
I thought that this one might stir the emotions, this is a Duxford obviously a few years back, but what would we give to see this sight again!!

Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3bfbe5cf71e6612a.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Picture of the day

Philo,you've opened old wounds my friend!I remember when i used to think 'Ah it's only the Mossie,saw it a couple of months ago...',now wish for almost nothing more than an airworthy Mossie in the UK.You don't know what you got till it's gone...
As for Black 6,I was hoping that it would be restored to fly again as it's accident recieved so much media attention,saying the usual stuff about 'dangerous old aeroplanes'.It would have been nice to drag them back to see it take to that air again! :p
Ah well,atleast she'll be complete again in the near future...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Good to see her back on her feet.Don't suppose there is any chance they are secretly rebuilding her to fly again?? ;) :)
Ah well,we can all dream...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Come on tell us less computer literate beings, how to post piccies. Then we can all play!

AND, yes it is good to see RR 299 again! I somehow feel that the likes of a Mosquito flying over in the skies over Britain are long past.

Very nice picture.

Neilly

Member for

24 years 2 months

Talking of Mosquitos are there even any left in a condition that could be restored to fly? Other than that one with the fighter collection, have they actually started it yet or is that when the Beaufighters done?

Any idea on progress on the Beaufighter? When I saw it it looked more complete than many of the aircraft undergoing servicing!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I know TFC has had a few problems finding wheels and tyres...but four castors on each leg !!!!!????..........getting a bit desperate by the looks of it!!!!!???? ;-)

TTFN
Mick

Member for

24 years 2 months

I had a couple of very pleasant conversations with some of the TFC boys a couple of weeks ago, and the subject of their Mosquito did crop up. Apparently the fuselage and tail unit are in very good condition, and wouldn't take much work to make flyable. The biggest problem is the wing, especially where the main spar was cut through to get the aircraft mounted against the wall in IWM Lambeth years ago. However, as I understand it, the spar has been looked at by some experienced and very knowledgable 'wood people', and apparently is quite easily repairable. I believe that TFC plan to start on the Mosquito after the Beaufighter is finished, and I've heard an estimate of about two years work mentioned.

The Beaufighter is coming on pretty well. As I'm also involved in a Beaufighter restoration, the TFC boys very kindly allowed me to take a look inside the fuselage, which is well on the way to being fitted out. The standard of internal work looks very good so far. The nose is off to allow them to fit the hydraulic pipework (which you probably saw mounted on the front of the forward wing spar), and it really does look like a daunting task. They've also got a jig set up at the rear of the aircraft in which a new tailplane is being constructed. There are various other hurdles which they've got to surmount, and I wish them all the best - they were saying she's unlikely to fly within the next five years.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It'll handle like a b@st@rd in a crosswind... :+

Member for

24 years 2 months

Nice picture. I took some internal shots of the fuselage on the same day, but they're all on a standard camera. I'll try scanning them in and if any come out alright I'll try and post them on here.

Member for

24 years 2 months

With regard to the Mosquito: The TFC & The Mosquito Museum, Mosquitoes are being scanned for wood deterioration. They are both in acceptable condition. However, the scans do not show what condition the glue is in. This is the main problem. Wether we'll ever see a flying Mosquito again in this country, I don't know, but I think unlikely, but I live in hope!
Neilly

Member for

24 years 2 months

Would the Mossies simple constuction be a good or bad thing to restore?

Lets just hope some rich yank does not make a bid for the Beaufighter or Mosquito!