PA474

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

How long do you think that we will continue to see the BBMF Lancaster in the air? It's new spar work was supposed to have been 'good for another 50 years' but do you really think it will still be flying then? Personally, I think a landing accident will claim it long before mechanical problems do-what do you think?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: PA474

Depends if you mean technically, or finacial. On Engineering wise, I imagiane they will keep rebuilding it for about 40 more years. As far as the MOD types go they would ground it tommorow. Despite the operating costs, supposedly high, probably being the same as their salaries...

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's interesting, are there any other warbirds that have been operated as constantly for so long? There probably are in civilian hands, but surely not in an airforce! I wouldn't kid myself, but I don't think even the MoD would ground the Lanc-they'd certainly like to get rid of a few Spits though.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Personally i think that she'll be going strong for another decade but after that i'd hate to speculate. Where would she go when grounded? would the BBMF hanger become a static museum, would she go to Cosford or perhaps would the RAF let a private operator take her over?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think the spits are safe as most of them have been gifts, AB910 was a gift from the great Geoffrey Quill, PS915 a gift from BAE, P7530 from a private collector, the MK and other MK19 could be at risk though. Especially as PM631 has been flying all her life!