both on the Mosquito and its location?

Erik H.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c02b233fdfe61f7.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Mosquito at Gardermoen?

I can tell you that PZ439 was one of 250 FB.VI (6) Mosquitos built at Hatfield between May 1944 and June 1945.I've had some trouble researching the squadron this aircraft belonged to,but the only reasonable explaination is 14sqn RAF (Code letters CX).The squadron initially were based at Portreath in Cornwall,from where they were part of the Portreath Strike Wing,attacking shipping in the English channel,North Atlantic and the Bay of Biscay.The squadron was disbanded in July 1945,but almost immediately No 143 sqn were renumbered as 14sqn!This is extremely confusing as 143 were part of the Banff strike wing,based in Aberdeenshire in Scotland!This probably explains how a Mossie with a 14 sqn identity ended up in Norway,which was never 14sqn's wartime operational area!
As for the actual location of this picture,I have no way of telling I'm afraid.It was quite common for the RAF to donate aircraft to approriate nations as memorials,so perhaps this aircraft is mounted for public display having been gifted by the RAF.I can't imagine that her wooden structure would have held out too well in the Scandenavian climate. :(
Hope this information has been of some use :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Typically,I had a brain wave after I typed that first message!On having a second look at the picture,the Mossie appears to be on a turntable for 'compass swinging',as in calibrating the accuracy of the aircraft's compass.This suggests that the machine is still in operational service,and therefore the picture would most likely have been taken in Scotland,perhaps Banff itself.
It certainly is something of a poser...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks for your info!

If I am correct, the hangar in the background is what
we in Norway refer to as "tyskerhangar" or German hangar.
Even today you can find one or two of these German WWII hangars
on most miltary airbases in Norway.
I guess these where built similar to hundreds(?) of the same type
all over Europe, but fortunatly none where ever built in Scotland....

So, that is why I speculate on Gardermoen as the
location.

Erik

Member for

24 years 2 months

On the evidence of the hanger,I guess you must be right about the location.This is an interesting fact in itself,as it suggests that whoever mounted it went to the trouble of putting it on a turntable plinth,thus allowing the aircraft to swing into wind and have a better chance of surviving the harshest of the scandenavian weather.
It seems ironic to go to so much trouble and then to leave the wooden aircraft outside!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think the aircraft definitly looks like its under maintenance and
not left there to rot..
Why could the aircraft not be visitor to Gardermoen just after
the war, and in need of a compass swing before it left for Scotland?

Erik

Member for

24 years 2 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-11-01 AT 10:07 AM (GMT)]Hi All,
Ant is correct about the Mosquito & also the reason it's sitting on that pan. I have a seen a similar picture, in one of my books (but like all things when you want it, can't find it!), this is of a Beaufighter on a similar set up.
If you look at 14 Sqds. history you might reconsider where the picture was taken. Looking at things chronologically:

25/05/45 143 Sqd. disbanded at Banff
01/06/45 14 Sqd. disbanded at Chivenor. Reformed at Banff. (14 Sqd. had been flying Wellington XIV's for Coastal Command). Mosquito FB VI's used for anti-shipping operations.
31/05/46 14 Sqd disbanded at Banff.
01/06/46 128 Sqd disbanded at Wahn. 14 sqd. Reforms at Wahn. Mosquito BXVI's & later B35's are now on Squadron strenght. FB VI's no longer on Sqd. charge.

If the Mosquito in the picture was in Norway then it would have had to have been there between 01/06/45 & 31/05/46. There are several reasons it could have been there, goodwill visit (just after the War, plenty 'Cooks Tours' going on) or it could have been on exercise/practicing anti-shipping strikes. Plenty of half sunken German ships in many fjords, to practice on.

All the best,
Neilly.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Back again,
Just had a few more thoughts on this photo. I 've been to Norway several times over the years & I haven't seen much flat land. The background seems very flat & not much scenery. Another thought, ErikH doesn't say who took the photo, apart from it came via his friend. So, if it was taken by a relative, who was in the Free Norwegian Air Force, which had quite a few members based at Banff, perhaps they could have taken the picture. Which is where I think this picture was taken.
I have a Mosquito video, which has a large part of it looking at the Banff Wing & anti-shipping strikes. On one of the take-off scenes there are some large hangers in the background, I dig it out & have a look.

Neilly