TFC Mustang

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Any idea when the TFC mustang is likely to fly again? Is it likely to be ready next year?

What on earth was up with it to take so long to fix it?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: TFC Mustang

She was sent back to the states to have rectification work done to her rear fuselage and one of her wing spars.The reason it's taking so long is because Fighter Rebuilders have had so many work commitments that she had to wait her turn for the work to be carried out.Now that she is back,she is being restored in as near to true P51B standard as possible,with retraction and locking mechanisms for the tailwheel being built from scratch for example,and much more besides.Previously she has very much been a mish-mash of parts from various models of P51.
This quest for authenticity means an awful lot of either parts hunting or scratch building from original drawings,some of which are themselves hard to come by,and this all takes time,particularly when manpower (sorry,personpower! :) ) and resources are hard pressed.
I think we should be more patient as I have a feeling that it will be more than rewarded when she flies again :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good to see her back on her feet,although they might want to rethink the seating arrangement!! :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think the seat on the wing is for the passenger ! ;-)
This because the CAA will not allow a passenger in the old back seat which is no longer there !

I can't wait to see it it fly, as I never got the chance when it first came over here.

Anyone know if it will definitely keep the Princess Elizabeth colours ?
It was a very beautiful scheme, but I can't help thinking that an RAF scheme should be worn to show the very big contribution to Mustang history by the RAF, and this is probably the only chance for a P51B/C to wear an RAF paint job, I just can't see a yank painting one in RAF colours.
But of course it is completely the owner's choice , and I will be happy with any scheme it has.....I just wanna see it fly !!!!!!

By the way, anyone know why the TFC website has not been updated since 16th August ?

TTFN
Mick

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-11-01 AT 00:33 AM (GMT)]Let's not forget that the Planes of Fame P-51A is, and always has been, operated in an RAF scheme.

Member for

24 years 3 months

As far as i was told by TFC engineers at the october show she will be returning to the skies as Princess Elizabeth but she will be highly polished like Kermit Week's P-51B and not painted.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Auntenticity sounds fantastic, but most of it will be hidden from view, surely, and not even realised by many airshow atendees.

I'm not sure about the idea of a high polish scheme - natural metal would look far more authentic surely? Polish makes them look like Tamiya kit!