Pictutre of the day 26/11/01

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Glad you all enjoyed yesterdays BBMF Hurri, shame that they insist on pilots wearing crome dome helmets, spoils the authenticity.
Anyhow here is todays, enjoy.
Phil.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c02af15f6410e4f.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Pictutre of the day 26/11/01

Philo- yes they do spoil the authenticity but look at the pictures of
Hurricane LF363 after she was nearly totally destroyed at Wittering-
bone-domes save lives and thats more important.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes David you are right, it was an observation rather that a critisism.I saw the Hurricane after the accident when it was back at Conningsby (my brother-in-law was nav on the Lanc at the time so i enjoyed good access) and quite honestly i did not think it was rebuildable.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Another nice pic Philo!I have to say that I prefer the P40 in her present Aluetian Tigers scheme,but a P40 in any paint job is good enough for me :)
With regard to LF363,I think we have to remember that she wasn't so much 'rebuilt' as built from scratch.Something like 80% of her present parts are replacements.But who is complaining?Not I,it's great that they made the right decision and put her into the air again.I just wonder if they would do the same if such a thing were to happen again (God forbid)...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Flying authentic 1940's fighters is a wonderful thing.....but dying authentically, like a 1940's pilot, is not so good.

So, to put it simply, a warbird pilot should wear as much modern safety gear as possible.........if they don't think they have to, like some pilots think, then in my opinion they are not such safe pilots, because they don't pay enough attention to the safety of their own lives, and frankly I wouldn't want them flying my warbird.

TTFN
Mick......stirring up a hornet's nest again !

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice Pic Philo

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think what the pilot wears, is like the planes colour scheme, purely his choice. Dont the Swordfish pilots wear old jackets and helmets?