Airfield Floodlight trailer

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 10 months

Can anyone please explain in what context an RAF airfield floodlight trailer was used please? Was it purely to flood light a runway/ crash site, or was it used as a navigational beacon similar to the Pundit light?

Thanks.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

17 years 7 months

The caption says: "... the Chance Light (runway floodlight) trailer..."
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k227/ramc181/DSPc3.jpg

and this caption: "Members of No. 454 (Baltimore) Squadron RAAF beside a mobile chance light which was used to illuminate the airfield in night landing of aircraft returning after an operation."
https://www.awm.gov.au/images/collection/items/ACCNUM_SCREEN/MEC0500.JPG

...and this: "The trailer in this thread is employing lenses derived from Lighthouse technology by the Chance Bros Co . The Chance light illuminated the left side of a runway edge as viewed by a landing pilot. The trailer was positioned about 30 ft from the threshold . the 4 leveling jacks on the floodlight unit enabled it to be set up with great accuracy. As an aircraft joined the circuit ATC would instruct the crew manning the light switch it on. Comms was normally by a field telephone arrangement.
As soon as the kite was safely down off went the light. At the end of night flying the Chance light would normally be towed back to the Night Flying equipment shed adjacent to ATC."

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?8134-MOBILE-LIGHTHOUSE-(its-true) scroll down to post #4

Member for

15 years 10 months

Thanks Wieesso, that makes sense, much appreciated.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Do any survive?

Member for

19 years 11 months

Do any survive?

See the HMVF link above. I know it's the dark side for those who like things with wings but there's lots of interesting stuff on the site - including the projects of a number of forumites on here.

Member for

10 years 5 months

Does anyone know if, and if so where, one of these is on display? The photograph on the HMVF suggests that there is at least one survivor.....

Member for

19 years 7 months

See the HMVF link above. I know it's the dark side for those who like things with wings but there's lots of interesting stuff on the site - including the projects of a number of forumites on here.

Thanks Jeepman, obviously at least one gets towed to events - never seen it though, must keep a look out.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi

I have a video clip of one of these doing its job in the 1940's. A Lancaster is flying in and you see the twin lamps light just seconds before the aircraft makes its landing. It's quite a common clip from one of the many news reel films of the time and I probably got it from YouTube, sadly I didn't document the source!

If you IM me with your email address I'll send it to you.

I've also got a rare clip of a gooseneck flare.

Cheers
James