Spitfires built in Reading

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 5 months

Hi

Can someone provide a possible answer please, I am at present researching Spitfires built in Reading but more specifically the test flying of the aircraft from airfields. I know all about them being test flown from MAP sites at Henley and later Aldermaston but what happened in between Henley ending assembly/test flying of the type in late 1942 to Aldermaston taking over in late 1943 or early 1944?. I am assuming Chattis Hill took over for the period in between?. I would just like to confirm this as some years back I spoke to someone who's relative worked at all three locations and they would just like to confirm this was the case.

I would also if possible like to hear from anyone who might have had relatives who worked at any of the sites in Berkshire connected with Spitfire production or has ever come across photographs of any of the sites in the Reading, Newbury area I would like to hear about them or have any of the airfield at Aldermaston that maybe used in a possible future book as a follow up to a previously written book on the subject then please get in touch. I am also searching currently for any wartime PR.IV, XI, XIV, XVIII aircraft photographs again with a Berkshire connection. My thanks and a Merry Christmas.

DJP

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

A good friend of mine worked at the Donkin Hill assembly site in Reading for almost a year from about mid '43 to May '44 while he was waiting for his Flight Engineer course. He says the aircraft were assembled and test flown at Culham. If you would like to get in touch with him, please send me a private message.

Member for

15 years 3 months

I am glad to see somebody is researching the many spits built in my former home town. My day just about remembers seeing then on lorries in his childhood. One of my long departed uncles worked in the Vincents garage production line, I believe he worked on wing production? I assume you have been in contact with the Museum of Berkshire aviation? I wonder if the Southampton Hall of Aviation have any of the V-S archives?
Good luck.
Rob

Member for

11 years 3 months

K4235, indeed an interesting line of research. I don't know the answer but I may know a man who does. He isn't a Forum user but I will email him directly and send your Post #1 to him. He's currently involved with a forthcoming documentary film concerning Salisbury At War. Some aviataion related filming has already taken place.

Chattis Hill was used for Salisbury area Spitfire production and I suspect it would be unlikely to have been used for Reading area production. However just in passing, have you considered Harwell? There was a strip there. And another possibility is possibly a strip that was located somewhere in the Ascot area. I cannot substantiate either but I have heard both sites mentioned in the past in conversation. Of course the Newbury area is another possibility, I suggest.

I will respond ASAP but Xmas intervenes of course so it may be a little while.

Member for

12 years 5 months

Thanks all so far

I plan to visit the Museum of Berkshire Aviation soon as I know from previous visits/research they have a bit on Spitfire production in the area but had not considered the
Southampton Hall as yet but thanks for mentioning them another possible avenue. I have never seen mention of Harwell as a Spitfire production centre and know nothing
of any strips around the Newbury area but will try and investigate further.