Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue_2
    YAM Meteor spanner monkey
    • Feb 2010

Well, to say I was slightly grumpy (as were the team when I told them) would be a bit of an understatement. We don't do these things, just to have to re-do them because of some clown. Explanations and apology will be sought... Anyway, using the magic of my tablet and free hotel Wifi I should be able to bring you pictures... Firstly the removed scab patch, and the reason it was patched in the first place

The new, flusher fitting patch

After some tidying and fettling the whole upper surface of the tab was primed

It was around this point i discovered the anger-inducing damage to the rudder...

So, the damage was rubbed back, the stencilling masked off as I really didn't want to have to ask Laura to spend another half day redoing it unless it was really necessary, then it was back out with the roller and silver paint.

demasked, it didn't look bad...

but close up there's a masking step that I hope will polish out once the paint has hardened properly

It's come out OK, but it really shouldn't have happened. And rather than being on display, we've had to mummify it now for its own good.

Anyway the trim tab then went back on the aileron...

And looks rather nice! Last job of the day for me, I refitted the door for the canopy opening switches, and started removing the panel as it needs some TLC and the isolator switch is snapped and needs replacing.

That's it for this week. Hopefully normal service in the Naughty Corner will resume next Sunday!
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2004

OOOOHHHH!!!!! Picccies!!! Nice work there. I can see the need for the scab patch, what happened? someone have a go at the old girl with a can opener?

Comment

• Blue_2
        • Feb 2010

No idea Malcolm, she was like that before we started on her....

Comment

• ZRX61
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Blue_2 View Post
          Well, to say I was slightly grumpy (as were the team when I told them) would be a bit of an understatement. We don't do these things, just to have to re-do them because of some clown. Explanations and apology will be sought...
          Had the same thing happen just after I'd laid down the Shelby stripes on a Cobra. Some blithering muppet was moving a '69 Cougar fender & dinged the trunk lid with the bottom rear (sharp) corner of the fender..

Luckily I was well acquainted with the blithering muppet in question & promptly went outside to have a word with myself

If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• me109g4
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • May 2009

Hopefully that didnt come to blows, lol

Comment

• Blue_2
              • Feb 2010

You don't mind so much if you damage your own work, it's when someone else does it and doesn't own up!

Comment

• Lingo Dog
                Rank 3 Registered User
                • Oct 2018

That's when you could warmly shake them by the throat!

Comment

• Blue_2
                  • Feb 2010

Morning all! Last time you heard from me properly, I was in a hotel near Boston and it was the morning after celebrating the marriage of 2 dear friends Fiona and Bense, members of the Elvington Nimrod team. That was nearly a week and a half ago, so what have we been up to I hear you cry? Read on...

18/09/2019 Update

Well actually it's a quite a few days ago update to start with, as on the way up from South Lincs I stopped to visit good friend Darren Swinn at Binbrook. He is as many of you will know working magic restoring Lightning F.2a XN728, the A1 Lightning, or at least her cockpit section. It's a project I am proud to be able to do little bits and pieces on too; I have assisted with some of the metalwork on 728, and part of my reason for stopping in was to measure up some more repair panels for the old beast.

Although my main aim was to blag a brew out of Darren, then exchange abuse and banter with him! As ever though, I didn't leave empty handed, and Darren dug me out a load of compass and radio wiring for 788.

I have more Meteor stuff to go back and retrieve, courtesy of the RAF not being as scrupulous cleaning Binbrook up when they left as you might expect; more on that later in the year hopefully...
                  Fast forward to this weekend just gone, and we were finally let back in the hangar on Sunday to continue work on 788. Simon and myself were on site, and we soon found ourselves busy. I showed Simon how to get on with making the skins for the second aileron's access panels, which with a bit of help from Eloise he cracked on with

As my back is still far from great I refrained form anything strenuous, instead I finished stripping the canopy opening panel out of its bay, and dismantled it

I set to rubbing it back, straightening it (it's had a hard life, poor thing!) and rescribing the lettering, before it received a dust of primer then a coat of gloss black

The sprung canopy open/close switch proved to be serviceable, so was just lubricated, cleaned and refitted. The canopy master switch was not so fortunate however. But... we broke out a NOS spare we were fortunate enough to have

And soon the panel looked far happier!

It has come home with me for the lettering to be highlighted back in, probably tomorrow. Next job was rubbing out and repainting the panel's bay

In the afternoon I continued the fitting out of the aileron innards. This was aided by Simon bringing a local delicacy for York; Kitkat!

He carried on with his panel skin production line

Then I took one of his skins and showed him how we build it up with flanging, screw holes etc...then fitted the first panel he had made from scratch!

He was very proud, and justifiably so. I then made one of the inboard ones and fitted it...

As well as making a new centre hinge locking tab for the port aileron...

Before we made a start tidying up. The port aileron is now by the bench awaiting the trestles coming available and the rest of its access panels finishing...

The starboard one is now positioned behind the wing, and just about ready to re-hang after a few finishing touches

And before I chucked it in my bag of things to bring home, I couldn't resist a quick test fit of the shiny canopy panel in its' shiny bay!

I won't be at the jet this weekend, as I have duties with Shackleton WR963 again this weekend. But that said, I may be in on Friday, so there may be a sneaky update in the offing...

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Aug 2004

Good stuff Blue_2 - or should we now call you panels'r'us

Comment

• Blue_2
                      • Feb 2010

It does sometimes feel like we are building a complete new Meteor at times! There is a proportion of new metal or NOS panels in the jet now.
                      Something that definitely is not NOS, and is very definitely original to the jet, is the canopy control panel. Remember it looked like this...?

Well one new master switch, some rubbing back, repainting and recaptioning later, and it looks like this...

All ready to go back on 788 tomorrow hopefully, as I am having a sneaky jet day if things don't change!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                      X